Tips on washing the GT

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Great help

1) A claybar is wonderful, if used properly and the body kept cool and wet. (better to use a spray detailer than just plain water as the lube) Flip it and kneed it occasionally. When it gets dirty or full of stuff, get a new one. Peoplke like Mothers, etc, sell it in kits. I only use it 1-2 times a year on my daily drivers. Cleans off the small crud wonderfully. Amazing stuff.
2) Good idea re the engine cover plastic bags. I usually just open the hatch and lay beach towels under the vents. Then, after washing, pull them out and use to wipe the other dust off the engine compartment elements.
3) I also use an old athetic sock over my hand to wipe all around the engine sections to get at all the hard-to-get nooks and crannies. This also works well for cleaning wheels.
4) Usually use the Zaino products; wash, polish, locker and wax. Good stuff!
Blow, dust off with Ca Duster, etc, then soft rinse w/ hose, then hand wash carefully, top to bottom. Use different solution and rag for lower panels and wheels - too much crap down there to mix in with the upper body wash. I find that 100% cotton towels work well and some of the new micro-fiber large towels also do a nice job. I hate the synthetic and hide stuff.
5) Always wash in the shade, with cool car. No matter what the product folks say, wash in a shaded area. If not, the sun can bake those little drops into nice, tough to remove water spots.
6) I use Q-tips, etc for the small spaces and around the lug nuts. Inside, use a moist detailer wipe or non-shiny all-surface spray and clean, lint free rag. Lexol or another high quality product for the leather.
7) I tried the Mr Clean rig, but it seemed to leave too much of a film on the car and especially the windows. My neighbor tried too and had the same experience. So we took them back for refunds. Maybe it was us!

In my case, black is beautiful.....but only when clean! :rofl

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Black is a gorgeous color, and our Viper was black. It is difficult to maintain, but there is no color that looks better when perfect.

You also bring up a good point:
a. Do not detail in the sun
b. Do not detail after the car has become hot in the sun

Cool and shady is the best locale for detailing.

DLKGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 10, 2005
Southern CA & Hilo, Hawaii
Many good tips on washing, but here is one for drying -

I use a Toro electric leaf blower! The 200+ MPH air blast makes quick work of the water in all the "nooks & crannies" in the engine area and leaves the outside of the car about 98% dry. I then finish up the drying with a soft terry towel (one that has never been washed or dried with fabric softner).

The leaf blower has reduced my total car wash time by at least 1/3 and given a better job - you could never dry the engine conparment as well by hand!

eshrink

GT Owner
May 21, 2006
Yes, I have heard of using a leaf brower. It obviates the use of towels with their built in shrapnel.

I told one of my daughters (15) that I could easily spend the day with an iPOD, the GT and a bottle of Zaino.

She said that she feels the same way about her horse. She just enjoys being there, grooming and left to her own thoughts.

The great thing about detailing is that like Chinese food...within hours, it is time to do it all again.

- doc

(P.S. Why does my signature not appear on most messages?)

zim32

GT Owner
Feb 28, 2006
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
I've heard different opinions on "dusters"...some say they scratch...others swear by them...what's the general attitude here?

StuM

GT Owner
Dec 10, 2005
SoCal
Detail

OK Wht Pet, detail work is free, but you must supply beer....for a year! Oh, and bring your own old socks :lol

Re the dusters, I've used them for years on all colors. No problems that I can see. They say you can wash them, but I find some of the embedded waxy stuff comes off and it becomes less effective after each wash. Eventually you have to buy new.
I must have about 6 of them hanging around my garage in various locations. Well within easy reach no matter which car, or bay I'm in. Yep, I'm a sick-o re clean cars! :banana

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
I live in Florida so mine gets washed, in rain water, every time I take her out.
My car is an Indian, does her own little rain dance, with much success.

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
For those of us who store the car during the winter, I have a few thoughts to add here that seem to have not been mentioned before.

a) when washing always stroke with light pressure, and in lines that are parallel to the direction the car goes down the road. NEVER wash the car with a circular motion (like the way they do on that Unique Whips TV show - ugghhh)

b) start at the top and work down to the wheels. Use as much water as possible, always rinsing your cleaning mitt in between after it has cleaned just a small surface area

c) I use three separate Simoniz natural sheepskin mitts for washing each our cars. They are cheap so buy a bunch of them. They will not hold dirt like other materials often do (so you don't end up sanding your paintjob), and they rinse easily and thoroughly. And they are washable. In my system, one mitt is exclusively for the top of the car down to the bottom of the doors; one is exclusively for the lower parts of the car, i.e. the rocker panels and lower valances; and one is exclusively for the wheels.

d) it is vital to keep brake dust to a minimum on the wheels, as it is corrosive. I also use a Meguiar wheel brush, which basically looks like a giant corn cob with a handle on it (you may have seen Formula 1 mechanics using the same thing to clean their racing wheels).

e) for drying, using a leaf blower can blow the crap off the ground back onto your car, especially if you have paving stones set in sand in your driveway like I do. So I use a Simoniz Drying Towel, which is actually a towel made of absorbent rubber-like synthetic material. It does not leave streaks. You just lay the towel on the car and gently pull it off, and it absorbs the water with a minimum of friction. Since it is made of rubber it can't scratch the paint. This (along with the sheepskin mitts) greatly reduces the 'spider web' fine scratches that other cleaning methods can cause.

f) I also use real cotton flannel old school diapers for cleaning up small spots, and carry them with me in the car, along with some water in a small spray bottle, for when birds use the car for target practice.

g) re - the brake rotors. The car has metallic brake pads so if they are wet they can rust to the rotor. Also note - if you are storing the car on a concrete pad, the tires when wet will have a chemical bonding effect with some types of concrete, so they can stick.

h) before storing, put on a good coat of wax and make sure the car is thoroughly dry everywhere. Also, do one last check to make sure you have removed all the discarded underwear that strange women throw at you to get your attention so they can meet your acquaintance. Most wives frown on this practice, so it's better to remove the evidence.

Last edited:

davisp

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 18, 2006
New Jersey
I wash my GT just like bigDAN40. Dry wash only. No reason to hose down the car unless you get caught in the rain or something. I have owned any number of exotic cars and have found that the less you hose them the better the paint and the overall vehicle mechanics hold up. NO hosing.PD

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
This does not make sense to me - please explain. Fine dust is just grit of a different size - if you look at dust through a microscope it would scare you how jagged the edges are. How can wiping down the car, without water to soften the dirt or soap bubbles to lift the dirt off the paint be better than using water & soap? I don't see how water could make things worse, only better. Please elucidate.

RADGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 31, 2006
Connecticut
I have used Dri Wash for years on my cars. Have never had a problem.

www.waterless-wash.com

Stu

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Thanks. I see they have an explanation at their website under FAQ. I don't know if I'm going to use it, but it's good to know.