Tipping transport drivers...

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
Thoughts? On pickup? On delivery? both? how much?

No idea how much the driver gets from what I am paying.

thanks

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
I thought $40 was a fitting # :cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
$100 for one way, round trip like Indy or Wixsom, I gave $200. My Indy driver got tickets to the event and rode to and from the track with me on race day, plus $100. These guys are princes and should be treated accordingly.

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Dealer to destination, (split 1k), 40$ to driver :thumbsup

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The great mystery

This chapter was obviously missing out of my "book of manhood". Transport drivers, big game guides, moving crews, to name a few. Even after asking many knowledgeable people I could never come up with a proper amount or percentage so I always use 10% of the bill. $300 to the driver/guide if the billed amount for shipping/hunt is $3000. I don't have a clue if this has been taken as generous or as stingy. :confused I am interested in how others have handled this.

Chip

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
This chapter was obviously missing out of my "book of manhood". Transport drivers, big game guides, moving crews, to name a few. Even after asking many knowledgeable people I could never come up with a proper amount or percentage so I always use 10% of the bill. $300 to the driver/guide if the billed amount for shipping/hunt is $3000. I don't have a clue if this has been taken as generous or as stingy. :confused I am interested in how others have handled this.

Chip

I guess there are a lot of things to consider. Like How professional/skilled occupation are you dealing with? Like you dont tip your doctor. Are you dealing with the owner or employee? I tip employee's better. Did they go out of there way to give above average service? Then I tip more. But I think 10% is more than generous for service that is not generally thought of as a tipping job. Such as:thumbsup your bartender or waiter.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
$75 to Fed ex custom critical, one way

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Chip,
I think your on target. Every driver I met has been an outstanding operator.

05redrich

GT Owner
Feb 20, 2006
MA
yeah I was thinking what chip said. Thanks for the comments! CA here we come!