TimePieces Thread

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Gentlemen,

In the mid 1980's I bought a new Speedmaster Professional manual wind Omega and it cost $970. My son Charley liked it and so I thought I'd pick one up for him. $3600 today!! Sorry Charley. The dollar has certainly gone to hell.

Chip
Chip,

Good call on the Speedmaster Professional. It's one of my favorites, but I couldn't be happier with my Omega Speedmaster X-33 for now.

Semper Fi,

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Jim,

I send my Omega watches to Nesbit's Fine Watch Service in Washington State. They specialize in Omega repair and I've been very happy with their service. Call them at (206) 623-1211. Your Speedmaster will look and function like brand new when you get it back.

Chip

Yes, I've used Nesbit's for my '73 Speedmaster Pro. Good people!

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
I would really like to get another watch sometime soon. I'm not a particular fan of all Rolex's but lately I think it may be time to add one to the collection or another Panerai. Rolex has come out with some larger models that fit my wrist pretty well. I have particularly large wrist so anything smaller than a 44 mm is likely too small. I don't post alot of photos of things but thought I would post my two favorite watches that I have started to wear more regularly. A Panerai PAM 220 with steel bracelet J series (quick strap change), and a Breitling Bentley Bronze face. The PAM is my favorite because I can change the straps and give it completely different look. In the picture are 3 MX vintage straps with the sewn in pre-vendome buckle and a brown alligator strap. Cars, watches, and vintage sunglasses are my collecting hobbies. Unfortunately, the first two require much more $$$ so I'll have to take my time getting deeper into those.

Attachments

• Breitling.2..JPG
    Breitling.2..JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Breitling.jpg
    Breitling.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 404
  • Panerai.jpg
    Panerai.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 340
  • Panerai.2..JPG
    Panerai.2..JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 343

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
my collection isn't really noteworthy since I have just started this year. The only piece I own right now is this one (Tag Heuer Steve McQueen):

34713d1246471191-tag-heuer-steve-mcqueen-monaco.jpg

For the absolute fan there are also two Gulf Editions available:

1496.jpg

Monaco_vintage_black_copie.jpg

One of the most exciting ones I have seen is the Monaco V4 with these nice and small belt drives, I would really love to see one where the belts are in motion. But looking at price tag kills me (even after enjoying a glas or two of jameson), it's nearly half of the price of a GT here in Europe.

Tag-Heuer-MONACO-V4_banner.png

Good taste! I acquired the 2 Gulf Monaco's and also have the blue McQueen. Great car guy watches.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Sweet collection Bye Enzo.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
A few guys on here have Monaco's. Ed Sims, Aggie 427 I believe, JaxGT...
They don't keep great time, aren't Swiss certified, and relatively inexpensive compared to some other chronos. Still cool looking. Wish I had a Gulf GT to match!

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
A few guys on here have Monaco's. Ed Sims, Aggie 427 I believe, JaxGT...
They don't keep great time, aren't Swiss certified, and relatively inexpensive compared to some other chronos. Still cool looking. Wish I had a Gulf GT to match!

Mine has actually been quite reliable, except for the alligator band

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
The PAM is my favorite because I can change the straps and give it completely different look. In the picture are 3 MX vintage straps with the sewn in pre-vendome buckle and a brown alligator strap.

Panerai watches and strap collections go hand in hand.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Just picked up my first Rolex. I really like it especially as it lets me keep track of what time it is at home as I travel internationally.

www.rolex.com/watches/images/share/m216570-0002.jpg

EDIT: How do I embed this dang pic?!

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Have 4 Pam's still, one is my daily.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
Just picked up my first Rolex. I really like it especially as it lets me keep track of what time it is at home as I travel internationally.

www.rolex.com/watches/images/share/m216570-0002.jpg

The 'Mcqueen' Explorer. Love that watch. Silly that he never actually wore that piece, but still think it's great on its own merits.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Costco now sells this watch @~ $5500

my collection isn't really noteworthy since I have just started this year. The only piece I own right now is this one (Tag Heuer Steve McQueen):

34713d1246471191-tag-heuer-steve-mcqueen-monaco.jpg

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Love all your time pieces! I do love watches as well. Have 3 Daytonas, and some others. Will post up some pics when I get some time. Great thread!

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My 2 favorite watches (an Omega and a dk) were stolen in 2010 when we were at Le Mans. I don't think I'll wear a watch worth more than $500 in the future, and my daily watch is less than $100.

I do appreciate the postings though - those are beautiful timepieces.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Just an update:

Checked some prices on classic 60s Era Chronographs and almost all have doubled or tripled since this thread started.

Seems like every watch company has re-issued or limited edition of iconic 60s Professional, Pilot, Diving, Space and Racing Chronographs.

Everything from Tudor Chronograph Monte Carlo, Tudor Blue Sub, Omega PloProf Diver, Omega Seamaster 1000M, to cult classics like DOXA, Aquastar, Certina, Glycine Airman, Aquadive and Roamer Stingray.

This is a massive run-up; watched this market daily from 2000-2008; '10-'14 is off charts.

Ex: Below were all in $150-1,000 range in last decade on ebay.

Heuer Monaco NOS $15,000
Tudor Monte Carlo $15,000
Heuer Autavia GMT $8,00
Heuer Autavia Slide-Rule Calculator $4,000
Glycine Airman SST 24h Chrono $5,000
Omega PloProf $5,000
Omega Sea Master Chrono 120M/400f $6,000
Tudor Chrono (Pre-Tiger) $5,000
Zenith El Primero 'Big Blue' $5,000
Zenith El Primero Pilot $5,000
Omega Flightmaster $4,000
Aquastar Benthos 1000M $4,000
Aquastar Benthos 500M $3,000
Hamilton Pan-Europ 707 Chrono $2,500
Sport Lemania 5100 / Valjoux 72, 77, 7500 Chronographs (Longines, Bucherer, Nivada, Zodiac, Sinn, Hamilton) $min $1,500+
Seiko Auto Chronographs $500-$1,500

My collection, which were $500-$1000/ea. watches went from $30,000 to $90,000 (stored in bank vault!).

Probably should have waited in '08 to sell off 25 watches, for Vette, could be in ZR1 or C7-Z06 instead of C6!

Some of these will become Daytona money...esp. Tudors and Omega Divers.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
It is the Devon Tread 2 which is smaller than the 1. I'd still love a Tread 1 Steampunk but Jesus, they're $25,000.00.

a brand new solid 18kt gold Rolex yacht-master like mine retails for $36,000 last time i checked :eek

mine is an older one which is still identical to the newer ones and i paid $18,000 for it :biggrin

Last edited:

Armatec

May 16, 2012
Switzerland
Aviatex to sell

Hello

To sell on Ford GT watch whit yellow dial

Best regard
Jo

I also have one of these but the previous generation with the round face.

My daily driver is this Ford GT watch:

View attachment 28298

Note the Ford logo on the second hand. Ford of Switzerland secured these back in 2005 when the 101 European GTs were sent over. They were made by Aviatex Technology, a small Swiss watch manufacturer, and were available in all GT the colors. I believe Aviatex is now out-of-business but the parts are off-the-shelf Swiss stuff so I should be okay for servicing it.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Price?

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

I usually use an account with Photobucket, to which I upload any photos I wish to share on the FGT Forum.

Then click on the uploaded photo in the Photobucket library to automatically copy the IMG link and post in your thread.

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I don't think I'll wear a watch worth more than $500 in the future, and my daily watch is less than $100.

I do appreciate the postings though - those are beautiful timepieces.

Ralphie, so sorry to hear about your stolen timepieces. That's awful.

I alternate between these two.

The Casio has a compass and stop watch / timer / alarm, which is often quite useful.

watches-0760%20copy_zpsag0fsad0.jpg

Last edited: