Three Pre-Production Ford GT's to be auctioned at SAI in Las Vegas

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
wow,... that makes my #1153 chopped liver.... :)

ED8192

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne Australia
You're a celebrity!

MUST BE! SIGNING AUTOGRAPHS AT 1.OOPM:banana

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Look what else will be making it's inaugural appearance with these cars: It's the (sort of)new and (majorly)improved SVT touring trailer. I hear it has interesting seats :biggrin

Attachments

• trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 326

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
any hidden web cams in that unit?

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
If it has a/c can I sleep in it in lieu of the room. I promise to protect the cars from Bony! :biggrin

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...type-lives-long-island-140347636.html#more-id

Glad to see Ford GT Forum and the 126 Ford GTs and their owners that were at Las Vegas for Ford GT National Rally 3 still getting the credit we deserve! Big thanks to Jamal and Hermann for letting me convince them to sell these cars!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92184983@N03/sets/72157634940549467/

Flickr set from the day I went up to SVT to photograph them.

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Wow, Dave looking back at all the above posts and seeing Daniel's post makes me somewhat sad with a grin on my face. Damn I miss Boney. I hope his posts will never be taken off or discarded. Tomy

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Guess the wh cars don't count in the counting of the 1st? Man I had fun driving the pb1 at lvms.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...type-lives-long-island-140347636.html#more-id

Glad to see Ford GT Forum and the 126 Ford GTs and their owners that were at Las Vegas for Ford GT National Rally 3 still getting the credit we deserve! Big thanks to Jamal and Hermann for letting me convince them to sell these cars!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92184983@N03/sets/72157634940549467/

Flickr set from the day I went up to SVT to photograph them.

I'm not sure what is of greater historical importance - this car being sold to the public or the fact that our GT's even made production. The hurdles were great in both cases. Congrats to all.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Fact Check

“Why the first Ford GT prototype lives in a Long Island garage” by Mr. Laliberte.

Uh, I happened to be in attendance in Las Vegas at Rally 3 event where these Ford CP cars were auctioned off to the attending FGT owners at the rally. Mr. Laliberte’s facts might need a little correction-

2008 may have been a financially troubling time for many individuals as well as many businesses. Ford’s President, Alan Mulally very shrewdly leveraged corporate assets, banking on the company to weather the financial woes of the auto industry. They never took TARP money from us citizens and the stock price has rewarded those who also shared Mr. Mulally’s vision. We owners were very fortunate to have members within our ranks that sparked the almost unheard of opportunity to buy these FGT engineering mules instead of them being sent to the crusher. There was never any whispers the sale of these cars had anything whatsoever to do with propping up a cash strapped company. We were just VERY lucky to get a chance to buy one of these early prototype Ford GT’s. And we all owe a debt of gratitude to the individuals who proposed and championed this idea to Ford corporate...and made it happen.

And the statement “I bought it at a private event in Las Vegas” also needs some fact checking.

From my 2008 bidders notes “CP1” VIN 1FAFP90SX4Y400004, flat black in color was sold as Lot #26, the first of three Pre-Production GT’s offered by Ford to the Ford GT owners attending the PUBLIC third annual rally. This car sold for $225,000 to a group of three owners who pooled money together to purchase this vehicle. It was not one person. Lot #27 was “PB2-1” VIN 1FAFP90SX5Y400045, Blue with white stripes sold for $155,000. This car was the first car in the PB2 pre production build (last pre production build before production). Lot #28 “PB1-1” carrying VIN 1FAFP90S25Y400037 was the most historic yellow Nardo Car used to certify the FGT top speed at 209.1 mph and it sold for $305,000. It was an exciting and historic event to witness this transfer of ownership.

At the time of purchase in Las Vegas the enthusiastic winning bid owners vowed to preserve the heritage of these important developmental GT cars and redisplay these prototypes at future Ford GT rally’s. I have been fortunate enough to attended every annual FGT rally since the Las Vegas auction. Unfortunately for many of the new owners who have joined this Forum in the interim, the prototype vehicles have never returned for display as promised.:frown

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Bill, your memory is impeccable. And you are certainly correct, the disposition of those cars had absolutely nothing to do with solvency. Any parallels to GM is just poor journalism.

Last edited:

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Bill, your memory is impeccable. And you certainly correct, the disposition of those cars had absolutely nothing to do with solvency. Any parallels to GM is just poor journalism.
Except for the speed of the Nardo Car. Wasn't it 211.89?

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA

Last edited:

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Man, I'm glad GTJoey has stopped spewing his bullshit on this forum.:lol

But that article certainly brings back memories

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The silver PB car actually went the fastest. It is at the piquette model t museum in Detroit. It was partially disassembled to fit into the elevator. They don't have any pix of it on their site, I will try to dig one up.

http://tplex.org/1_whatyouwillsee.html

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Thank you for your post Bill. I started to type a similar response. Although I was not at the Rally, I remember the forum discussions surrounding the auction. One correction, I believe the auction was "private" in the sense that it was exclusive to Rally participants, and I believe this is Dave's point. Perhaps if the editor permitted just 5 or so additional words to the article, Dave and the Forum would have merited a mention. :).

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Bill, your memory is impeccable. And you are certainly correct, the disposition of those cars had absolutely nothing to do with solvency. Any parallels to GM is just poor journalism.
Agreed, the article implies there was an underlying financial incentive which is just factually inaccurate. Our ownership ranks were just very fortunate to have friends within the Ford Corporate structure to make this amazing opportunity actually happen.
My wife certainly would challenge my impeccable memory, but I save most everything FGT related, have read a number of technical articles on our car’s development and take contemporaneous notes during the various FGT functions. Thanks for the complement. Just trying to keep the facts straight from the spin.:wink

Except for the speed of the Nardo Car. Wasn't it 211.89?

Clinton, as usual, you are correct. The 211.89 mph (341 km/h) speed is listed on the Vmax speed certificate that Mark McGowan achieved May 8, 2004 Nardo, Italy. Reference page 48 of the FGT Team History book.

But.... the 209.1 mph I listed in my post came directly from the bidder's auction vehicle information sheet all of us attendees were given at the auction. This sheet had a half page detailed description of the Nardo car with all the modifications made to the car by Ford. One of the bullets on this sheet states, "First car to certify top speed at 209.1 mph at Nardo, Italy". So I just went with that speed since clearly knowledgeable Ford engineers crafted the auto description.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
I was also at the Vegas Rally auction, was completely sober during the auction and believe Bill/Indy GT does have his facts exactly correct. However I also agree with Chris A as well. LOL!

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Why the first Ford GT prototype lives in a Long Island garage - article -->

Pretty cool article regarding the GT: Click me.

Enjoy,

Lance

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Uhhhhh, Lance.....
Perhaps you should backread post #106.
Then join the discussion:wink