Three Pre-Production Ford GT's to be auctioned at SAI in Las Vegas

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
First Ten Grand Cash

Seems reasonable. I need to start the bidding on the Nardo beast at $170k

The first ten grand cash gets/relinquishes my services. Ford can pay me to run the price up or Bony can pay me not to bid... Win win.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
bring it on..

Seems reasonable. I need to start the bidding on the Nardo beast at $170k

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Bony... let's go partners :)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Does Ford take checks from the Bank of Nigeria? I just discovered some lost money I can claim and I can just sign the check over to Ford. I think it will be enough to buy all 3 cars, unless Bony bids them up to an unreasonable level.

Last edited:

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
As long as you give me a credit card with your name on it for a non-refundable $15,000 deposit, we should be good. :biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Do we know the "value" of the cars yet as determined by Ford? I'm asking to determine what the tax deduction might be.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Do we know the "value" of the cars yet as determined by Ford? I'm asking to determine what the tax deduction might be.

Good question Frank. How much can be written off as a "donation". I would assume the amount over and above what Ford says is the value.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Good question Frank. How much can be written off as a "donation". I would assume the amount over and above what Ford says is the value.

This is correct. Whatever the amount over and above the Ford reserve is the amount that will be donated. There are no fees for the auction being charged. Ford is working on their reserve prices right now.

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
This is correct. Whatever the amount over and above the Ford reserve is the amount that will be donated. There are no fees for the auction being charged. Ford is working on their reserve prices right now.

In that case.....bidding might be encouraged by having a real world reserve placed on them.

After all, they are just old beat up test mules that can't even be driven on the street.

Hell, we're doing them a favor just saving them from the crusher. Maybe scrap value should be the guideline for reserve pricing.

How much is aluminum by the pound these days?:lol

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Hell, we're doing them a favor just saving them from the crusher.

Well, since the money is a contribution, don't they get to also use their value as a deduction, too? Even though they already deducted it as a manufacturing cost....

ED8192

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne Australia
There were 15 CP vehicles, there were 5 PB-1 cars, and 12 PB-2 vehicles. CP stands for Confirmation Prototype which is the level of prototype at which most of the engineering validation is completed. PB-1 is the level of prototype at which the engineering is done, and the car is nearly ready to be built, where manufacturing validation is done. PB-2 is essentially ready to go, the final level before production begins.

That's a total of 32 pre-production prototypes. Some of these cars are in museums, some were destroyed (probably 5-10 were destroyed, but I can't verify that exactly at this time), one went to Stillen, one went to GDG, 2 of them went to Saleen for manufacturing trials, Ford Racing has one of the PBs, two PB vehicles are also verifiably gone, and public affairs has at least 1 in Europe. These are the last of SVT's PB vehicles. After they are gone, they will have none left.

All 15 of the CP vehicles had 2004 VINs.

There would literally be pages of differences. Most of this stuff is really detailed stuff like squeak and rattle changes, electrical, chassis changes, the magnesium cross beam, the restraint control module, the passenger mirror got moved rearward...all kinds of stuff. Lots and lots of fine tuning between PB-1 and 2.

5 PB-1, 12 PB-2.

There you go. That's what I've got for now. Disclaimer, these were all (fairly detailed) off the cuff answers so they aren't written in stone.

My car is VIN 1FAFP90S95Y400035 built 2004 and brought to Australia by Ford
Do you know where that fits in with the PB's being in the same VIN range.
Any info greatly appreciated:cheers

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Check with Harry aka Quickdraw or CobraJeff ask as Jeff Burgy. Bet they know.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Ford is working on their reserve prices right now.

I wondered why the lights were on the last few nights at WHQ -- this has got to be keepin' the financial & legal guys busy re-reading internal policies; et.al. As I recall, Ford normally ascribes about a +$1M (as in million) value on these development cars. Given that the program is over, the cars cost/value long 'expensed' in the development, they can reasonably put about any value they so choose.

As previously mentioned, I believe this is a precedent - I cannot recall Ford ever selling any development cars -- they are always destroyed! I salute Ford in trusting the legacy of these cars in the hands of the owner group who cares for the product. A real testament to you guys and -- Way to go Dave!! :thumbsup

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
DBK has scored an amazing grand slam:

Thanks Rex for your posr!

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Agree with you 100%!
Dave pulled the perverbial "rabbit out of the hat" on this one!!
And too, very honored Ford would allow the sale of these development cars to us owners!
Quite an accomplishment...!

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
My car is VIN 1FAFP90S95Y400035 built 2004 and brought to Australia by Ford
Do you know where that fits in with the PB's being in the same VIN range.
Any info greatly appreciated:cheers

I'm not sure but I'll see if I can find out. The thing about the VIN numbers is that they were not sequential, so you could end up with a "later" VIN being built earlier than an "earlier" VIN. Did you buy the car from Ford Motor Company? A dealer?

I wondered why the lights were on the last few nights at WHQ -- this has got to be keepin' the financial & legal guys busy re-reading internal policies; et.al. As I recall, Ford normally ascribes about a +$1M (as in million) value on these development cars. Given that the program is over, the cars cost/value long 'expensed' in the development, they can reasonably put about any value they so choose.

As previously mentioned, I believe this is a precedent - I cannot recall Ford ever selling any development cars -- they are always destroyed! I salute Ford in trusting the legacy of these cars in the hands of the owner group who cares for the product. A real testament to you guys and -- Way to go Dave!! :thumbsup

This I can tell you, the reserve will not be $1 million :lol

ED8192

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne Australia
I'm not sure but I'll see if I can find out. The thing about the VIN numbers is that they were not sequential, so you could end up with a "later" VIN being built earlier than an "earlier" VIN. Did you buy the car from Ford Motor Company? A dealer?

Bought it From Ford Australia after they took it to all the shows here and Asia.
They flew it here in October 2004 for the Sydney motor show.:cheers

GT Tech

Ford GT Team Alumni
Aug 13, 2006
Kingman, Arizona
Here is the info I have.

PB-1 cars ranged from 5Y400036 to 5Y400040. I'm sure of this, as I wrote the numbers down as we built them, and have it verified by another internal e-mail. I wrote down colors and stripe options also. PB1 - 1 was the first car built at Wixom, in Jan of 04. Yellow w/ black stripes. Total of 5 cars

PB-2 cars ranged from 5Y400003 to 5Y400009, and 5Y400041 to 5Y400045 for a total of 12 cars.

The only reference to VIN # 5Y400035 is a Job 4 unit (production cars). The paper I have states that VIN #s 19 - 35 were for VIPs, Celebrities, Execs.

Hope this helps:thumbsup

ED8192

GT Owner
Dec 1, 2006
Melbourne Australia
Here is the info I have.

PB-1 cars ranged from 5Y400036 to 5Y400040. I'm sure of this, as I wrote the numbers down as we built them, and have it verified by another internal e-mail. I wrote down colors and stripe options also. PB1 - 1 was the first car built at Wixom, in Jan of 04. Yellow w/ black stripes. Total of 5 cars

PB-2 cars ranged from 5Y400003 to 5Y400009, and 5Y400041 to 5Y400045 for a total of 12 cars.

The only reference to VIN # 5Y400035 is a Job 4 unit (production cars). The paper I have states that VIN #s 19 - 35 were for VIPs, Celebrities, Execs.

Hope this helps:thumbsup
Thanks for that:cheers

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
You're a celebrity!