This pilot almost bought the farm...

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
never mind the dumb ass organizer that allowed the spectators to be so close.... stupid Germans...:bs

The first maneuver is simply a cyclic climb with a pedal turn at the apex - hardly death defying. The smacking of the ground appears likely to be an accident.

http://www.break.com/index/german_helicopter_stunt.html

in the last part all he was performing was a engine out run-on landing maneuver. They are practiced all the time with the throttle rolled back to idle. For this maneuver he kepted the throttle up and pulled power just before touching down. Although when performing this maneuver with throttle rolled back, one would pull in collective (main rotor pitch) a touch earlier to cushion the initial touched down a bit......

I'm certain he screwed up the airframe... again notice the tailboom deflection - the skids will take a pretty good lick - I know

He was about a gnat's eyelash from creating a smoking hole, and raining rotor shrapnel all over that crowd.

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
never mind the dumb ass organizer that allowed the spectators to be so close.... stupid Germans... He was about a gnat's eyelash from creating a smoking hole, and raining rotor shrapnel all over that crowd.[/QUOTE
]

'About as bad as the idiots who stand on the shoulder of the road - usually ON the road ...ON a corner - watching road rally race cars blasting by. (How many of THOSE fools have been hauled off to the hospital or the morgue?)

Morons be everywhere! 'Cept HERE, of coarse!

E.P.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Watch out for these people, they seem to be everywhere.........

IDIOTS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD:
I live in a semi-rural area. We recently had a new neighbor call the local township administrative office to request the removal of the Deer Crossing sign on our road.
The reason:
"Too many deer are being hit by cars out here!
I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore."
From Kingman , KS
My daughter went to a local Taco Bell and ordered a taco. She asked the person behind the counter for "minimal lettuce." He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg. He was a Chef? Yep...From Kansas City !
To which I replied, "If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?"
He smiled knowingly and nodded, "That's why we ask."
Happened in Birmingham , Ala.

IDIOT SIGHTING:
The stoplight on the corner buzzes when its safe to cross the street.
I was crossing with an intellectually challenged coworker of mine.
She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for.
I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded, "What on earth are blind people doing driving?!"
She was a probation officer in Wichita , KS

IDIOT SIGHTING:
At a good-bye luncheon for an old and dear coworker.
She was leaving the company due to "downsizing."
Our manager commented cheerfully, "This is fun. We should do this more often."
Not another word was spoken.
We all just looked at each other with that deer-in-the-headlights stare.
This was a bunch at Texas Instruments.
When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the drivers side door. As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked. "Hey," I announced to the technician, "its open!"
His reply, "I know - I already got that side."
This was at the Ford dealership in Canton , Mississippi !

STAYALERT!

They walk among us ...

And

They REPRODUCE

Last edited:

Red Rocket

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2006
Pacific North West
Spirit, those are priceless!

BTW, my screen is set to a black background for this forum, which is the default setting I think - which means it is hard to read that blue script of yours. Might wanna change it.

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I'm considering the purchase of a small helicopter for personal use... I sure hope that I won't be having any encounters like that one in mine... that thing hit the skids pretty hard, tail boom deflection looked pretty bad too... that would have been a hell of a wreck if the tail rotor drive system would have failed due to the deflection factor.

mardyn

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Bony are you a chopper pilot ?

Or are you just familiar with there operation? I see the attraction but if you don’t live in the biggest of cities it just seems like planes offer so much more.

Oh and THanks for the ever impressive clips. That seemed like the film speed was altered to appear faster than it was inreal time. Should we watch or run!!!!!

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Or are you just familiar with there operation? I see the attraction but if you don’t live in the biggest of cities it just seems like planes offer so much more.

Oh and THanks for the ever impressive clips. That seemed like the film speed was altered to appear faster than it was inreal time. Should we watch or run!!!!!

Used to be... haven't been able to pass a medical in many years. Not the worlds greatest fan of choppers.

Interesting question about the speed being doctored, haven't thought much about it. On the Ferrari chasing through Paris most folks agree that the speed was adjusted. It just blows me away to see spectators that close, wasn't it in Germany where there was a crash that injured and killed many at an airshow?

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Yea i believe it was Germany

Yes I remember seeing the news clips of that. Although i guess that is part of the thrill of airshows and such. The scariest words in aviation "hey watch this!"""

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Yes I remember seeing the news clips of that. Although i guess that is part of the thrill of airshows and such. The scariest words in aviation "hey watch this!"""

whats the old saying, there are old pilots and brave pilots, but no such thing as old brave pilot...

these are for you...

Actual exchanges between pilots and control towers :
*************************************************************************************************

Tower: "Delta 351, you have traffic at 10 o'clock, 6 miles!"

Delta 351: "Give us another hint! We have digital watches!"

**************************************************************************************************

Tower: "TWA 2341, for noise abatement turn right 45 Degrees."

TWA 2341: "Centre, we are at 35,000 feet. How much noise can we make up here?"

Tower: "Sir, have you ever heard the noise a 747 makes when it hits a 727?"

****************************************************************************************************

From an unknown aircraft waiting in a very long takeoff queue: "I'm f...ing bored!"

Ground Traffic Control: "Last aircraft transmitting, identify yourself immediately!"

Unknown aircraft: "I said I was f...ing bored, not f...ing stupid!"

**************************************************************************************************

O'Hare Approach Control to a 747: "United 329 heavy, your traffic is a Fokker, one o'clock, three miles, Eastbound."

United 329: "Approach, I've always wanted to say this - I've got the little Fokker in sight."

****************************************************************************************************

A student became lost during a solo cross-country flight. While attempting to locate the aircraft on radar, ATC asked, "What was your last known position?"

Student: "When I was number one for takeoff."

***************************************************************************************************

A DC-10 had come in a little hot and thus had an exceedingly long roll out after touching down.

San Jose Tower Noted: "American 751, make a hard right turn at the end of the runway, if you are able. If you are not able, take the Guadeloupe exit off Highway 101, make a right at the lights and return to the airport."

A Pan Am 727 flight, waiting for start clearance in Munich , overheard the following:

Lufthansa (in German): " Ground, what is our start clearance time?"

Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."

Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany . Why must I speak English?"

Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent):

"Because you lost the bloody war!"

Tower: "Eastern 702, cleared for takeoff, contact Departure on frequency 124.7"

Eastern 702: "Tower, Eastern 702 switching to Departure. By the way,after we lifted off we saw some kind of dead animal on the far end of the runway."

Tower: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff behind Eastern 702, contact Departure on frequency 124.7. Did you copy that report from Eastern 702?"

BR Continental 635: "Continental 635, cleared for takeoff, roger; and yes, we copied Eastern... we've already notified our caterers."

*****************************************************************************************************

One day the pilot of a Cherokee 180 was told by the tower to hold short of the active runway while a DC-8 landed. The DC-8 landed, rolled out, turned around, and taxied back past the Cherokee. Some quick-witted comedian in the DC-8 crew got on the radio and said, "What a cute little plane. Did you make it all by yourself?"

The Cherokee pilot, not about to let the insult go by, came back with a real zinger: "I made it out of DC-8 parts. Another landing like yours and I'll have enough parts for another one."

The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206.

Speedbird 206: " Frankfurt , Speedbird 206 clear of active runway."

Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven."

The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.

Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?"

Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now."!

Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?"

Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark, -- And I didn't land."

*************************************************************************************************

While taxiing at London 's Gatwick Airport , the crew of a US Air flight departing for Ft. Lauderdale made a wrong turn and came nose to nose with a United 727. An irate female ground controller lashed out at the US Air crew, scre aming: "US Air 2771, where the hell are you going? I told you to turn right onto Charlie taxiway! You turned right on Delta! Stop right there. I know it's difficult for you to tell the difference between C and D, but get it right!"

Continuing her rage to the embarrassed crew, she was now shouting hysterically: "God! Now you've screwed everything up! It'll take forever to sort this out! You stay right there and don't move till I tell you to! You can expect progressive taxi instructions in about half an hour, and I want you to go exactly where I tell you, when I tell you, and how I tell you! You got that, US Air 2771?"

"Yes, ma'am," the humbled crew responded.

Naturally, the ground control communications frequency fell terribly silent after the verbal bashing of US Air 2771. Nobody wanted to chance engaging the irate ground controller in her current state of mind. Tension in every cockpit out around Gatwick was definitely running high.

Just then an unknown pilot broke the silence and keyed his microphone, asking: "Wasn't I married to you once?"

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
My other 'toy' is a Bell 206: same model as this german clown was flying. I sure wouldn't want to fly this one after his escapade! I'd be willing to bet that there was a big crease in the skin where the tailboom joins the airframe, which had the engineers sucking air through their teeth when they saw it! Every JetRanger pilot winces when he sees this one.

There's an even better film doing the rounds of a guy doing a barrel roll and a loop in a Bell 407 in South Africa. Impressive? Hell yeah! Except.....the Bell 407 isn't approved for aeros! When Bell saw this video, they ordered the machine grounded and the whole drivertrain had to be removed and overhauled. Megabucks, before you ask ($300k??) And to make it worse, the machine was chartered to a flying company by the owner, who had no idea the pilot was going to do it, nor apparently did the charter company. Imagine that phone calls......

That and lots of great heli videos here:

http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/Videos/index.asp

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
My other 'toy' is a Bell 206: same model as this german clown was flying. I sure wouldn't want to fly this one after his escapade! I'd be willing to bet that there was a big crease in the skin where the tailboom joins the airframe, which had the engineers sucking air through their teeth when they saw it! Every JetRanger pilot winces when he sees this one.

There's an even better film doing the rounds of a guy doing a barrel roll and a loop in a Bell 407 in South Africa. Impressive? Hell yeah! Except.....the Bell 407 isn't approved for aeros! When Bell saw this video, they ordered the machine grounded and the whole drivertrain had to be removed and overhauled. Megabucks, before you ask ($300k??) And to make it worse, the machine was chartered to a flying company by the owner, who had no idea the pilot was going to do it, nor apparently did the charter company. Imagine that phone calls......

That and lots of great heli videos here:

http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/Videos/index.asp

amazing link... I have book marked, just watch the fool tow a boat and the other guy trying to teach himself how to fly... thanks.

since you saw the video before, please review my comments. thanks.

flyingsniffer

GT Owner
Mar 20, 2006
Hertfordshire, Essex
You're pretty close: maybe right. The first manouvre (of the original 'german' video) was what we call over here a torque turn: you climb nose up until you feel the airspeed washing away, then kick pedal in to turn the aircraft. The key thing is to make sure you don't overtorque the engine, so the direction of the turn is critical.

My view is that he actually didn't gain enough height before this first manouvre. By the time he had completed the turn, he was way too low. Had he pulled his collective to call for more power, the torquemeter would have gone through the roof and $250k of Allison engine would have ended up a melted mess (not quite, but you get my point).

So here he is: pointing at the ground, too low, with no power available...what to do? So he does the next best thing which is yank back on his cyclic and go for a run-on landing, but he forgets to cushion with collective when he smacks the ground.

But whatever the real story, I bet he needed new underwear. You are spot on about being inches from a smoking hole. Plonker.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
You're pretty close: maybe right. The first manouvre (of the original 'german' video) was what we call over here a torque turn: you climb nose up until you feel the airspeed washing away, then kick pedal in to turn the aircraft. The key thing is to make sure you don't overtorque the engine, so the direction of the turn is critical.

My view is that he actually didn't gain enough height before this first manouvre. By the time he had completed the turn, he was way too low. Had he pulled his collective to call for more power, the torquemeter would have gone through the roof and $250k of Allison engine would have ended up a melted mess (not quite, but you get my point).

So here he is: pointing at the ground, too low, with no power available...what to do? So he does the next best thing which is yank back on his cyclic and go for a run-on landing, but he forgets to cushion with collective when he smacks the ground.

But whatever the real story, I bet he needed new underwear. You are spot on about being inches from a smoking hole. Plonker.

Many thanks for your view, sure you are fresher at it than me, last time I was an flight comander was in '68... I am more than rusty:rofl again, thank you for the link.

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
.........BTW, my screen is set to a black background for this forum, which is the default setting I think - which means it is hard to read that blue script of yours. Might wanna change it.
Rocket,
Finally got the text color changed.
Tried black text, but could not see it with your default screen settings, so went to orange text.
I'm not a real whiz when comes to this computer stuff.:bang
Will try to remember not to use blue text in the future.:cheers
Fred

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Talking of flying............ I saw this pretty impressive clip recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvfrNF1_fU

snaproll

GT Owner
Dec 3, 2006
Naples, FL
Talking of flying............ I saw this pretty impressive clip recently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbvfrNF1_fU

Fun to watch - typical media tho - they have it all wrong. ". . . and I bet those PT6 engines aren't adversly affected." Well, first, they aren't PT6's and they guy almost ran off the end of the runway. I would have picked the longest one around. Oh well, all's well that ends well.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
This video blows me out of my seat every time I see it.... brings new meaning to the term 'AIRCRAFT COMMANDER' holly smokes...
http://www.whoisthemonkey.com/videos/31f15-flying-with-1-wing

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
never mind the dumb ass organizer that allowed the spectators to be so close.... stupid Germans...:bs

The first maneuver is simply a cyclic climb with a pedal turn at the apex - hardly death defying. The smacking of the ground appears likely to be an accident.

http://www.break.com/index/german_helicopter_stunt.html

in the last part all he was performing was a engine out run-on landing maneuver. They are practiced all the time with the throttle rolled back to idle. For this maneuver he kepted the throttle up and pulled power just before touching down. Although when performing this maneuver with throttle rolled back, one would pull in collective (main rotor pitch) a touch earlier to cushion the initial touched down a bit......

I'm certain he screwed up the airframe... again notice the tailboom deflection - the skids will take a pretty good lick - I know

He was about a gnat's eyelash from creating a smoking hole, and raining rotor shrapnel all over that crowd.

WHOA! that was just crazy. i have seen a heli do a full loop at a airshow :thumbsup

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
This video blows me out of my seat every time I see it.... brings new meaning to the term 'AIRCRAFT COMMANDER' holly smokes...
http://www.whoisthemonkey.com/videos/31f15-flying-with-1-wing

now that is my kind of pilot :bow