Third Cooler

belgium GT

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2009
hi guys,

I've a (perhaps strange) question about the third cooler in the front.
One is clairly to cool the engine, another for the airco.
Now I'm wondering if the third cooler (labelled intercooler) really is the intercooler of the compressor or somthing else....
A friend of mine got me doubting of its purpose....

Can someone tell me what the purpose is of the third cooler and if it contains a kind a liquid or not?

Regards

Kristof

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
There are three cooling / coil sections in the front of the car. One is for the Engine block cooling which you have in a normal car. The second is a for the Air to water Intercooler system. The two big coolant tanks in the engine bay on the driver's side are a part of these two systems. The third cooling coil in the front of the car is the condensing coil for the AC system.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The intercooler is the component that cools the Supercharger intake air.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The third cooling coil in the front of the car is the condensing coil for the AC system.

There's one more.....

belgium GT

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2009
There's one more.....

that transaxelle cooler is there already one on the car or must you place that if you want one.in the intercooler come s no fluid if i mean well.what are in the two tanks in the engine room the big wan on the passenger side is the engine oil but the two smaller tanks on the driver side what is that in whats must in the tanks

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
The transaxle has an internal, main-shaft driven pump. From the factory, there is a short ~10-inch flex hose that connects the transaxle output to the return. The transaxle cooler is a heat exchanger that mounts in the engine compartment just inside the air scoop on the passenger side. You can see the Cool Tech transaxle cooler here: http://www.cooltechllc.com/ford/gt_transaxle_cooler.htm

The front of the car also has a small heat exchanger for the power steering.

belgium GT

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2009
thanks

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
The intercooler is the component that cools the Supercharger intake air.

Almost Mark- The intercooler heat exchanger is located beneath the supercharger and thus is used to cool the OUTPUT air of the supercharger. When compressing a gas (air) the temperature goes up. An old bicycle pump is a good example. The lower region of the pump would get hot after pumping up the bike tire. The intercooler attempts to remove the heat of compression of the intake air before it goes to the cylinder for combustion.

that transaxelle cooler is there already one on the car or must you place that if you want one.in the intercooler come s no fluid if i mean well.what are in the two tanks in the engine room the big wan on the passenger side is the engine oil but the two smaller tanks on the driver side what is that in whats must in the tanks

Belgium- The transaxle cooler is an optional cost item an owner must add to his car if he wishes. It did not come from the factory with the cooler installed however it is very easy to add and all the bolt hole provisions are already on the car frame. Both Cooltech and Ford Racing offer this add on product for our GT's. The fluid in this cooler is as would be expected the same full synthetic gear oil which is in the transaxle. If you add the transaxle you will need to add approx 7/8 quart make up fluid to account for the extra fluid capacity.
The fluid in the intercooler is the same type coolant as is used in the engine cooling circuit, ethelyne glycol (antifreeze) and water. This is the fluid in the two small tanks located driver side rear engine compartment.
Hope this helps....

belgium GT

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2009
yes thanks verry mach.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Hey, Mr. Engineer, can't you give the poor European guy the volumes in liters? If you need help with the conversion, let me know.

Belgium, if you don't know, you'll need one extra bottle (about one liter) to add to the transmission when you add a transmission cooler. I think Cooltech includes it in the kit, but the Ford Racing product does not.