Thinking of selling; Opinions Please

Skully

GT Owner
Dec 14, 2013
Dousman, WI
After 10 amazing years it might be time to sell my baby. So I need some opinions. Should I leave the black stripes on that are covering the original silver strips or should I pull them off to bring it back to factory. I love the black but...

What seems to be the best way to sell a 12,000 mile original owner Gt?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_5182.jpg
    IMG_5182.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 784
  • IMG_5180.jpg
    IMG_5180.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 778
  • IMG_5183.jpg
    IMG_5183.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 793
  • IMG_5184.jpg
    IMG_5184.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 789
  • IMG_5185.jpg
    IMG_5185.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 776

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Id say leave it, easily peeled by a new owner. But what do I know.

As for selling, 1st Id look around this site, like here is a possible recent buyer

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...eady-to-find-my-05-06-GT-who-might-be-selling

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
My opinion.... Take it back as close to "Stock from the Factory " as you can.

andy (ajb)

nautoncall

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 6, 2014

andy (ajb)

I think a potential buyer would want to see what's under the wrap. It does give it a nice custom look though but probably most new buyers will want as stock as possible, especially the exterior.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Bone stock; and remove very carefully

Have seen shops rip/jerk this stuff off....

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan

andy (ajb)
+1

SBR

GT Owner
Aug 23, 2009
Agreed, put it back as close to stock form as you can.

txviper

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 31, 2007
It will hurt your sale if you leave it. People will think you may be trying to cover something up. Or will be worried of the potential damage if they have it removed. It looks cool but the unknowns will cause doubt.

But my vote is you don't sell it!!!:thumbsup

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
As for selling, 1st Id look around this site, like here is a possible recent buyer

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...eady-to-find-my-05-06-GT-who-might-be-selling

Yes indeed, finding an opportunity to work directly with an enthusiast-owner rather than with a dealer on the internet, is exactly what I was hoping for by starting that thread : )

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Agreed, put it back as close to stock form as you can.

PLUS 222

Back to stock!!

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
I like the look myself. The new owner can return to stock. Or leave as is & offer to return to stock.

Ed

Boomster

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 29, 2016
Speaking as someone presently looking for a car, I think bone stock has the most appeal. Skully, I would be interested in finding out more about your GT. If you would like to discuss off-line, my email is clarkfamily1@optonline.net.

Bill

Piana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Northern California
I like the look myself. The new owner can return to stock. Or leave as is & offer to return to stock.

Ed
I agree Ed. I also like the look.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I like the look too. Do you have high res photos of the wrap being installed? That might satisfy a prospective buyer about the underneath. That and a good conversation.

(P.S. you're gonna regret it)

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
OK, I counted the "votes" about the OP's Q, and counting mine, we have 4 for "Leave it" and 9 for "Peel it".

I too am a current shopper, and I see this as a "Trust AND Verify" situation. Even if I were to have full confidence that everything will look fine after peeling, I haven't done my due-diligence as a serious buyer of a collectible exotic, if my thorough inspection doesn't include verifying the precise condition of the car's original finish.

Also consider that in today's World of Wraps, anyone can affordably materialize anything they can imagine into a wrap - aren't the chances pretty low that one person's creative idea of the Perfect Wrap would be identical to the next person's?

Last edited:

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Stock with out the side stripe

Skully

GT Owner
Dec 14, 2013
Dousman, WI
Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like I will be removing the stripes and giving her a good detail.

Next question, What is the best way to sell a 12,500 mile 4 option car?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Step one, post it here, with pix. As you can see by "Beez" recent posts, there are people here looking for cars. After that you have to decide if an easy transaction is worth more to you than max dollars. If you want a fast easy transaction, there are a couple affiliated dealers here, Im sure would buy it. If you want max $ sell it yourself. Ebay, Autotrader etc. It will take time and effort.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
I Agree with Andy... but, be VERY careful as you remove the 'wrap'...even if it takes 24 hours. Understand the 'angle of pull' and get as much data as you can from the installer and manufacturer of the material first... I have seen some horrible outcomes.!
Also agree that you should post here on this Forum first. I know of people who 'lurk' here looking for a Private owner car .
Good Luck... but I hope you are not sad :( when it is gone !

andy (ajb)

Beez

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 28, 2016
South Denver
Skully, I very much enjoyed our discussions over the last 2 weeks, and wish you the very best in finding the right home for your beautiful car.

For any potential buyers seeing this, I suggest you not miss what an excellent opportunity this is. I had a plane ticket bought, and expected to buy this car myself, before finding a no-stripe car, which for me was the ONLY reason I didn't go for Skully's