The Worst Part of Owning a GT

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
What is the worse part of owning a GT???
Well for me, it is my inability to see myself driving it, watching the car drive up, eat its exhaust :willy , etc. etc. How can I see my car in motion while I am driving it w/o letting others drive it??? Sigh..... well, at least I now can now see it on video... Ok, my times are slow.... but the car looks and sounds so damn good. All the autox instructors want to drive the car and they (all are many times autox national champions) are lining up like kids to want to get on a pony ride. The organizer of the event drove the car for 1 lap and after that he said he wants to buy two GT's and forget about Z06's.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1739872340675493211

Chris A.

GT #32
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 6, 2007
Ortega Mountain, CA
Nice video....where was that? And how can I do it...

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
For me was getting in and out of it. That is why she is gone now.:frown

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Nice video....where was that? And how can I do it...

That was at El Toro So. Cal. and all of us will be doing that and much more at the Aug. 6th rally!:thumbsup

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Right on Steve! Hopefully they get permission to stretch it out a bit :wink

I've done the course in a Land Rover :lol

Jason's Auto Spa

May 22, 2007
IL & AZ
Anyone else here a big guy?

I'm 6'2" & 275 lbs and although I really, really like the GT - First thing I did when I closed the door was hunch down as I saw a black guillotine coming my way :eek (Top of the door)

I attempted to back it up and I was punched in the face by the seat/head bolster when I turned my head :ack

My girlfriend directed me from the front of the car as to where to back up and "How I'm doing." All she needed were orange glowing wands and for someone to pull the wheel chocks...

To a guy that loves the GT as much as I do, that doesn't take anything away, it only adds to the absolute seriousness of this machine. :thumbsup

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
Anyone else here a big guy?

I'm 6'2" & 275 lbs and although I really, really like the GT - First thing I did when I closed the door was hunch down as I saw a black guillotine coming my way :eek (Top of the door)

I attempted to back it up and I was punched in the face by the seat/head bolster when I turned my head :ack

My girlfriend directed me from the front of the car as to where to back up and "How I'm doing." All she needed were orange glowing wands and for someone to pull the wheel chocks...

To a guy that loves the GT as much as I do, that doesn't take anything away, it only adds to the absolute seriousness of this machine. :thumbsup

I lowered my driver's side seat about 1 1/2 inches to give me clearance when I wear a helmet. Now my helmet still touchs the headliner but I can still get into a comfortable driving position.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
For REALLY tall people, the pblm with the GT is - they can't fit!

My eldest daughter's boy friend is 6'-5", 285 ... and he's not fat ...if you get my drift. He carrys a bit over 50% of his height in his legs.

He was up here over Christmas and reeeeeally wanted to get in the GT. I told him 6'-2" is the max unless the jaws of life were standing by to get a taller person back OUT. He took a look inside the car and reluctantly agreed it pbly wouldn't work out too well!

Had he gotten in there, I think he'd have needed to keep the door OPEN. (He'd have looked like the character "Jaws" behind the wheel of that car in the Bond film.)

Last edited:

Waldo

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 7, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
What is the worse part of owning a GT???

Not being able to drive it as much as I want.

Other than that, not a single complaint.

Best Regards,
Waldo

Last edited:

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I lowered my driver's side seat about 1 1/2 inches to give me clearance when I wear a helmet. Now my helmet still touchs the headliner but I can still get into a comfortable driving position.

How tall are you Bruce?

I haven't tried a helmet on in the GT yet, but I guess I should soon.

I'm only 5'11.5" so I didn't think it would be a problem...

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
All the autox instructors want to drive the car and they (all are many times autox national champions) are lining up like kids to want to get on a pony ride. The organizer of the event drove the car for 1 lap and after that he said he wants to buy two GT's and forget about Z06's.
]

Do you generally let all the instructors drive the GT? I was wondering about that...If I do autocross. So far I have only let one friend drive the GT. He's a pilot and a good driver.

sr71

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 22, 2007
Calgary, Great White
biggest problem? every time I push that red button another hundred miles show up on the odometer

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
The worst part....

.....is driving in traffic and sitting at a light with a car in front of you and another vehicle, usually a battered pickup with 3 illegal aliens packed into it, barrelling up behind you at a pace that looks like they will not be able to stop before they smash into the beautiful rear end of my now out of production, and probably irreplaceable, Yellow GT.:ack :ack :ack Gives me a heart attack every time.

Chip

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
The most irritating thing about the GT to me is walking past it in the morning to drive my other car to work.

It's such a masterpiece! All I have to do is climb in and I'm a part of that sculptor.

Not bad for a Ford.

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
For REALLY tall people, the pblm with the GT is - they can't fit!

My eldest daughter's boy friend is 6'-5", 285 ... and he's not fat ...if you get my drift. He carrys a bit over 50% of his height in his legs.

He was up here over Christmas and reeeeeally wanted to get in the GT. I told him 6'-2" is the max unless the jaws of life were standing by to get a taller person back OUT. He took a look inside the car and reluctantly agreed it pbly wouldn't work out too well!

Had he gotten in there, I think he'd have needed to keep the door OPEN. (He'd have looked like the character "Jaws" behind the wheel of that car in the Bond film.)

I am 6'4" 225 lbs and my youngest son is 6'7" 180 lbs. I have never hit my head and my son rides with me all the time, normally while wearing a hat.
I haven't tried it with a helmet yet, that may be a different story.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
6'3" 225 and the seat height isn't a problem however a helmet isn't going to work. Bruce next time at C&C I want to see your lowered seat.:thumbsup

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
my youngest son is 6'7" 180 lbs. I have never hit my head and my son rides with me all the time, normally while wearing a hat.

HOW???????!!!!!!!! :eek

GT 1547

GT Owner
Dec 4, 2006
Vernal, UT
HOW???????!!!!!!!! :eek

I'll have to check his leg to torso ratio, but I've asked him several times if it bothers him with his hat on and he says no. I haven't paid that much attention but he doesn't sit awkwardly or anything. Next time he is with me I will look a little harder.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I'll have to check his leg to torso ratio, but I've asked him several times if it bothers him with his hat on and he says no. I haven't paid that much attention but he doesn't sit awkwardly or anything. Next time he is with me I will look a little harder.

His slim build (judging from his weight) is pbly the main factor.

My daughter's boy friend has broad shoulders (surprise, surprise) on top of it all, and that certainly adds to the pblm for him. Th' dude would doubtless be crowding me over in the driver's seat! (That ALONE gitz him booted B4 the fact!!!!)

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
The thickness of the butt cheeks has a lot to do with headroom clearance too. :lol