THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Could one reason why the Goodyears are not so sticky in cold weather have anything to do with being overinflated?

They are summer performance tires. No summer performance tire is sticky in cold temps.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
Could one reason why the Goodyears are not so sticky in cold weather have anything to do with being overinflated? I ran mine at the factory specified 32 until I found that the center tread was wearing significantly more than the tread on the edges. Then I lowered the pressure (per Ralphie and others) to 28, and may go further to 26. I drive my car at least once a month during the winter when it's dry here (temps 40-50 degrees), and although I'm careful, I haven't had any traction issues.

There is a warning in the operator's manual that these Goodyear tires are summer tires and care should be taken when operating the vehicle below 50F. This does not make the tires dangerous nor cause them to act like driving on ice unless you are one of those folks that use the gas pedal as an ON-OFF switch rather than as a variable rheostat switch. LOL I also live in FL and drive my GT without any problems all winter in temps in the 20F range. Just use a little finesse with your right foot. It's not always all or nothing with the right foot.

But aren't the Bridgestones also summer tires???? Several owners have stated that with lower tire pressures, they have had very good results driving in all kinds of weather. I certainly agree that a lead foot will get you in a world of trouble, especially in winter. My question is still: will lowering the tire pressures so wear is even across the tread increase traction at low temperatures?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Vincent998;354962 My question is still: will lowering the tire pressures so wear is even across the tread increase traction at low temperatures?[/QUOTE said:
Not enough to matter. The temperature is a much greater factor than tire pressure. Summer compounds get hard when it's cold.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
But aren't the Bridgestones also summer tires???? Several owners have stated that with lower tire pressures, they have had very good results driving in all kinds of weather. I certainly agree that a lead foot will get you in a world of trouble, especially in winter. My question is still: will lowering the tire pressures so wear is even across the tread increase traction at low temperatures?

The bridgestones might be better than the Goodyears at low temps, but one morning last spring I left early for the cars and coffee first thing in the AM and it was maybe 45. I accelerated with a left turn into a merge lane and the rear end did break loose (I retained control). So they're not a substitute for an all season tire.

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
The bridgestones might be better than the Goodyears at low temps, but one morning last spring I left early for the cars and coffee first thing in the AM and it was maybe 45. I accelerated with a left turn into a merge lane and the rear end did break loose (I retained control). So they're not a substitute for an all season tire.

I've accelerated and spin my tires, in a turn, on dry pavement, with my truck using snow tires which are designed for cold temps. It's all about using care with the right foot.

bret a ewing

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Do be careful in the lower temps. While the Bridgestones are MUCH better at colder temps than the oil slick goodyears, they still harden at low temps and have less traction at the same time the car has more HP.

Will do sir, dialed in 30% more caution with the right foot. :)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Listen after what they are saying about the Carrera GT tragedy,that the car unsafe because of no stability management.Our GT’s could be next on the unsafe list!

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Ahhh MICHIGAN...
Need a good day to take her back and Get these stones balanced better or returned.
YUCK weather and winter makes for frustration to schedule and waste another day.
Wonder if God will tell me how many I got left....

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
There is a warning in the operator's manual that these Goodyear tires are summer tires and care should be taken when operating the vehicle below 50F. This does not make the tires dangerous nor cause them to act like driving on ice unless you are one of those folks that use the gas pedal as an ON-OFF switch rather than as a variable rheostat switch. LOL I also live in FL and drive my GT without any problems all winter in temps in the 20F range. Just use a little finesse with your right foot. It's not always all or nothing with the right foot.

IMG_0017.JPG

50 degrees outside... it was my fault but I had to much faith in the Goodyears. Obviously, I learned the hard way but traction control is a greatly under appreciated invention. I consider myself a decent track-day driver (for a novice smuck) but when you drive at the track, you are expecting traction problems. When it happens on the street, its so fast that you just don't have time to get into "drive mode". Be careful if its chilly outside.

Listen after what they are saying about the Carrera GT tragedy,that the car unsafe because of no stability management.Our GT’s could be next on the unsafe list!

I think I missed something... what are 'they' going to do toour GT?

Was that really yours?????????? If it was, I hope you weren't hurt. A hard lesson.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes it was mine and yes it was a hard lesson. We live and learn. I probably spout off to much about the tire in cold weathers but I really don't want anybody else to go thru something like I did with the GT. It's such a beautiful car. If you don't know how the Goodyears are going to behave it can catch you off guard.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Very sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you are alright.

There but for the grace the God, go I.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
It still makes me say ouch when I see that photo Fubar.

Ed

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Bad news/good news. Bridgestone rears out of stock everywhere I've checked. However, according to onlinetires.com, who checked with Bridgestone, they will be back Feb 14.

Last edited:

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
Tire Rack is showing some available now with more due in this month. Not sure how frequently that is updated.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
More Tire and Wheel Data

I had Bridgestones mounted on a new set of base wheels and put them on the GT today.

Black index dots on the new wheels meet yellow index marks on the new tires.

IMAG1001.jpg

I did some measuring and weighing.

Front Goodyears worn to 3/32 have a circumference of 82.25" (208.9 cm), which gives a diameter of 26.2". Add 0.25" for the worn tread to give a new tire diameter of 26.45" (67.2 cm).

Front Bridgestones (265) have a circumference of 83.25" (211.5 cm), which gives a diameter of 26.5" (67.3 cm).

Rear Goodyear circumference is 91.125" (231.5 cm), which gives a diameter of 29.0" (73.7 cm).

Rear Bridgestone circumference is 90.875" (230.8 cm), which gives a diameter of 28.9" (73.4 cm).

Here is how the rear Goodyear (L) and rear Bridgestone (R) compare visually. The rack ramp is level.

IMAG1006.jpg

I measured the width of the rear tire tread section to where the sipes meet the sidewalls. On both the Goodyear and Bridgestone the tread wraps around the sidewall a bit, so this measurement is not a true tire width. It is outside tread edge to inside tread edge.

Goodyear: 12.75" (32.4 cm).

Bridgestone: 13.875" (35.2 cm).

On to weight.

I have new Bridgestones on the front base (cast) wheels and the optional (forged) wheels.

Front base wheel and tire (w/o center cap): 52.2 lbs (23.7 kg).

Front optional wheel and tire: 49.8 lbs (22.6 kg).

The "lightweight" front forged wheel saves 2.4 lbs (1.1 kg).

I have almost new Goodyears on the optional rear wheels and new Bridgestones on the base rear wheels.

According to Tire Rack published specs, the rear Goodyear and the rear Bridgestone both weigh 34 lbs (15.4 kg).

Rear base wheel and tire (w/o center cap): 63.0 lbs (28.6 kg).

Rear optional wheel and tire: 59.6 lbs (27.0 kg).

The "lightweight" rear forged wheel saves 3.4 lbs (1.5 kg).

That's it for weights and measures. I was very glad to have the Sinovac Center Cap tool, because the cap threads were very tight, even with Vaseline.

IMAG1007.jpg

I took the car for a spin to see how the new wheels and tires felt, and came back to find Vaseline thrown all over the wheels. Pro tip! Use just a smidge of Vaseline on the threads. :/ Or, perhaps better yet, some graphite or anti-seize compound.

IMAG1010.jpg

Last edited:

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
I glad I'm not the only nut who feels compelled to weigh and measure every part. All very good information.

You won't believe how much better the Bridgestones perform.

. . . and don't act like that is the only time you've found Vaseline all over the place.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Gary, very informative and detailed post!
You get an A+ for technical content.

I too have the cast BBS rims but do not use Vasoline or any petroluem product on the tri-wing plastic threads for just the reason you experienced. It gets centrifuged out.

Better choice IMO is to use silicon spray on the threads. No mess and I have no problem unscrewing the tri-wings by hand.

FourFather

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 24, 2007
Wichita Falls, Texas 76306
Xcentric, thank you for posting the weights and measurements!

Eddie