THE Tire Thread

What Combo Do You Use?

• Total voters

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just don't forget to adjust your speedo params.

What are the parameters (for GY and Bridgestone) and how do we change them?

I think I noticed last weekend that the Speedo didn't exactly match my GPS...

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I checked speedo against a Vbox gps unit with the Bridgestone tires and it read 195 when speedo indicated 200. Close enough for me.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
What are the parameters (for GY and Bridgestone) and how do we change them?

I think I noticed last weekend that the Speedo didn't exactly match my GPS...

I have a Ford Racing pulley/tune, the programmer that came with it has a setting for revolutions per mile or something like that. It has been a while since I looked at it so I don't remember for sure. Unlike Fubar @ 200 :thumbsup, my speedo was off by several mph in the stock setting with stock tires at 40 mph. Indicated was less than actual :bored. I always wondered why I was passing everybody even when I wasn't speeding. :rofl It is dead on now.

I imagine your dealer could make the change if you don't have a programmer. If you would like to borrow my programmer I could send it to you (just pm me), although I think it may be locked to only work on my car, but that may just be for the tune, not sure.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I have a Ford Racing pulley/tune, the programmer that came with it has a setting for revolutions per mile or something like that.

Bingo, I have a tuner from Rich's pulley/tune setup, so can probably get to that setting. I also was recently looking for some tires for my truck and noticed a column on the specs that listed that setting. I'm sure whatever I need is there.

Thanks!
Tony

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Speaking of tire age, my front GYs are original. There are no DOT numbers on either tire. The smooth ovals are there, but no numbers were put in the mold. It's not as if they were buffed off the finished tire either, because the smooth rubber is the same texture as the rest of the smooth rubber on the sidewall.

Can anyone offer an explanation?

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
The DOT date code is probably on the inside tire wall.

Howard

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
are they antiques?

all tires are marked.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
The DOT date code is probably on the inside tire wall.

Howard

Yes - the Goodyear F1 Eagles have the date code on the inside.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Yes - the Goodyear F1 Eagles have the date code on the inside.

I will check that out. The new rear F1s have the code on the outside.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
FYI:
Michelins are available in
Pilot Super Sport
Pilot Sport PS2 &
Pilot Sport Cup (only for the rear wheel)
245/35-18 Front (85.75) -18.91%
345/30-19 Rear (103.50) -17.85%

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
FYI:
Pilot Super Sport
Pilot Sport PS2 &
OK, so using the michelins, which represents the best choice of the available sizes, and for those that have had these and the Bridgestones, how do they compare (aggressive street use, not track)?

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Whoa, when did that happen??

FYI:
Pilot Super Sport
Pilot Sport PS2 &

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I just checked the Michelin website last night. I’d love to see their new PS3 available for our car but I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon.

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
FYI:
Pilot Super Sport
Pilot Sport PS2 &

Don't get the Michelin 245/35/18 fronts as they are too small. Go with the 255/40/18 which is the correct size. Don't ask me how I know except I have a set of brand new PSS 245/35/18s for sale if you would try to them out. They are great tires. I can't rate them to the Bridgestones only stock tires. They are grippy (even cold), quiet, and wear well. I think the rears are about an inch shorter than the stockers, but look good. You get the advantage of a better gear ratio with the smaller tires ;) I believe the Bridgestones look better in person if that matters.

Otis

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Kirby Viera ran the Michelins and was always happy. Too bad they didn't float.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I just checked the Michelin website last night. I’d love to see their new PS3 available for our car but I don’t think it’s going to happen anytime soon.

It looks like the SS is a better tire. I'm betting the PS3 is targeted for OEW applications (more of a price point than performance like the SS).

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
Don't get the Michelin 245/35/18 fronts as they are too small. Go with the 255/40/18 which is the correct size. Don't ask me how I know except I have a set of brand new PSS 245/35/18s for sale if you would try to them out. They are great tires. I can't rate them to the Bridgestones only stock tires. They are grippy (even cold), quiet, and wear well. I think the rears are about an inch shorter than the stockers, but look good. You get the advantage of a better gear ratio with the smaller tires ;) I believe the Bridgestones look better in person if that matters.

Otis

So what about them made them small? Issues with ABS or looks or ?

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
For those that are interested, the TireRack right now is running a special on the Micheliin Pilot Sport Cup 345/30ZR19's at $259.00 per tire. I run these on the rears when on the track, and they give almost comparable results to Hoosiers. you can buy 2 rear tires at the same price normally for one!

Here's the link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...all=Blackwall&partnum=43YR9SPORTCUP&tab=Sizes

otis

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 13, 2011
Stillwater, MN
So what about them made them small? Issues with ABS or looks or ?

No ABS issues. They looked way too small in the wheel wells.

Otis

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
For those that are interested, the TireRack right now is running a special on the Micheliin Pilot Sport Cup 345/30ZR19's at $259.00 per tire. I run these on the rears when on the track, and they give almost comparable results to Hoosiers. you can buy 2 rear tires at the same price normally for one!

Here's the link

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...all=Blackwall&partnum=43YR9SPORTCUP&tab=Sizes

Great find Ralphie!