The Relentless Pursuit of the Utlimate Car (Continued)

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Ah, the sweet affliction that I have previously coined "Velocitosis Vulgaris". From the earliest age, the condition seems to overwhelm its hapless victims. My first symptom manifested as an unnatural attraction to Hot Wheels. I remember wanting the chrome coated "Boss Hoss" Mustang so bad it made my teeth hurt. I can present credible evidence that this behavior preceded the date that I darkened the door of elementary school. Testors model cement was my favorite cologne, and to this day the odor brings back the best memories of a quiet saturday afternoon, unraveling the mysteries of a Tamiya styrene model kit. I later graduated to a Cox glow powered R/C Dune Buggy, which would start once in about ten thousand pulls and then cough and sputter for just long enough to hint of greater possibilities. The fact that the dang thing never ran was made up for by the fact that it had pneumatic knobby tires that promised all sorts of traction should it ever achieve movement under its own power. I could visualize those meats churning up the front lawn in wild explosions of speed and sound...even the theory of such things were enough to motivate a thousand more pulls on that tiny little string.

I was raised in a large and happy family, and looking back now I recognize that we were not dripping with money. In fact, we were poor as church mice. I was expected to buy my own school clothes by the time I was 14, and I found myself working at the local mechanized car wash. In an act of what now can only be seen as pure lunacy, my boss let me drive the cars into the wheel rack all summer, and that's really where I learned to drive. The year was 1978, and he rolled up one day in a brand new Corvette. Bright Yellow. For the rest of the summer, I fawned over that car as it sat outside of car wash's office, and it seemed only slightly more unattainable to me than scoring a berth on a moon launch or winning the affection of the Senior Prom Queen. I would lay awake at night fashioning all sorts adventures I could have in that car, blasting across the Navajo reservation north of Flagstaff, t-tops off, cranking Van Halen's eponymous album on the 8-track. (This was the most extravagant fantasy; my mother had declared Eddie and his band of merry men vulgar and obvious disciples of the Devil).

I was at the local DMV the very morning I reached the magical age of 15 years and 7 months, and I drove home with an elbow out of the open window of the family station wagon. However, in perhaps the grandest irony of my life, my dad forbad me from any form of car ownership while I was living under his roof. This because as a young man, he had nearly killed himself while driving a hot rod lincoln (really, I've seen ancient photos of the car after the crash; it was ugly. His father, my grandfather, wrote on the back of the tiny picture; "the car that son almost killed his self in"). Dad's opinion was that nothing good would come from the combination of youth and vehicle ownership, and in my case, he was quite probably right.

What this has to do with the price of rice in China is that all these years later, my enthusiasm has not wained. I continue to fall asleep at night with visions a cars playing in my head, and I'll still go out of my way to get next to cool car in traffic, just so I can bask in the light of automotive awesomeness. A few of my brethren on the GTForum who have slogged through my written rantings will remember that I've been lucky to own some pretty cool cars in the past few years.

As those cars have come and gone, I've concluded that my trusty ol' red Ford GT is basically without peer. The only car that I've ever owned that has come close to besting it is my Carrera GT, and its victory was a highly provisional one; if I lived in a more urban setting, the CGT would be an impossible car to own and enjoy. The GT has no such limitations. (I still own the CGT. It seems to have joined the rare rank of "keeper". It now sits next to my NSX).

And so, my search for the ultimate sports car continues. And if ever there was a case where the journey is more important than the destination, its this one. I now present the next contender. It's a 2013 Mclaren Coupe. Now, now, I know that some of you might call the 12C old news at this point. I recognize that Mclaren has just announced an upgraded version of the car called the 650s. I am undaunted. I bought the car new, with delivery miles and a full warranty. I got such a magnificent discount on the car that I would have been crazy to turn it down. The funny thing is, I would have paid more if they had asked. I've wanted one of these ever since a brief test ride about a year ago. These things are wicked quick; if you doubt that, google a few drag races involving the 12c and you'll see some pretty embarrassing slap-downs. So far, I am absolutely thrilled with the car. I will say that it has already made me forget any love I had for the 458s I've owned. We shall see how it compares to the FGT. Stay tuned...

DSC_5887_zps1c61cecb.jpg

pvgtX2

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 16, 2012
Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Can't wait to read more. By far the nicest color I have seen on one….with those wheels especially! Congrats!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
The Tamiya Rough Rider & Sand Scorcher 4x4
were the well engineered buggies the Cox should have been

Ps, running the Cox flywheel or rear wheel on bike wheel up-side down and cranked to spin would start the Cox on first try ;)

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
The Tamiya Rough Rider & Sand Scorcher 4x4
were the well engineered buggies the Cox should have been

Ps, running the Cox flywheel or rear wheel on bike wheel up-side down and cranked to spin would start the Cox on first try ;)

Doh! Now you tell me. I can't imagine how much easier that would have been. Why didn't I think of that when I was 12? Seems so simple now...

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I never got the Rough Rider...with metal Frame and waterproof r-c box

Got the low rent X-R311 Am General or HumVee

It crumbled like real thing...

After that I vowed never to take half measures...GT is sweet justice

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Mitty as always I look forward to reading your review in your 12C.

BTW, I also owned a Cox dune buggy. :lol

Even at my young age I wonder why the throttle control was akin to a potato in the exhaust pipe.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
Spent some time yesterday in the garage detailing my FGT. I've had it since new in '05. 40k miles now. Still in love with the design and performance. It is simply iconic.

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
Mr Mitty. I have a 2013 12C Spyder . It will not change your conclusion that the GT is without peer.

Having said that, I am trading it on a 650-- so yes, I like it very much.

Last edited:

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
Awesome car and great pre-write up!!

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
sweet ride!

GTdrummer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 13, 2010
Richmond Virginia
May I add that comparing the GT to the 12C is difficult and the further out we get from 2006, the harder it will become.

The true comparison is beteen the 458 and 12C, and soon the Speciale and 650. The ride, size, technical aspects have almost nothing in common with the GT.

I have kept my 458, though I thought I would not when I got the 12. There are things I like about both, and NO clear winner.

458 over 12C

1. Size--marginally larger cabin and for me at 6'4" every bit helps.
2. Instantaneous shfting --you will miss the 458 in this regard. The 12 has a minor lag they say is cleared up in the 650.
3. 458 has rigid paddles that are very large. 12C has tiny paddles that rotate (but you can get extenders)
4. 458 hi end stereo better than 12 hi end stereo

12C over 458

1. A very noticable quicker car. Neck snapping
2. A nice interior layout with older school non sterring wheel attached items
3. Better design --blasphemy from the F guys but true IMO

Both cars very reliable based on my experience. I have had annual inspection on both --no issues. Get software upgrades

Last edited:

Greg-TT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Mitty, I must say I like your taste in car collection :)

1_zpsc3b942fa.jpg

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Mitty, I must say I like your taste in car collection :)

1_zpsc3b942fa.jpg

Holy cow! A man of impeccable taste. What a fantastic collection.

shesgotlegs

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 20, 2006
Looking forward to your write up.

Tomcat

GT Owner
Mitty,
Are you on NSX Prime?

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Congrats on the car Mike. Looks amazing. You'll love it.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Mitty,
Are you on NSX Prime?
Love all the GT/NSX owners. There are quite a few of us!!!!

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Mitty,
Are you on NSX Prime?

Yep. Username DEHALDASWERTH

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
Congrats on the car Mike. Looks amazing. You'll love it.[/QUOTE

Thanks a million. I hope you continue to enjoy your lovely Volcano Red car (the best color) in health and prosperity.

w. mitty

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 1, 2005
May I add that comparing the GT to the 12C is difficult and the further out we get from 2006, the harder it will become.

The true comparison is beteen the 458 and 12C, and soon the Speciale and 650. The ride, size, technical aspects have almost nothing in common with the GT.

I have kept my 458, though I thought I would not when I got the 12. There are things I like about both, and NO clear winner.

458 over 12C

1. Size--marginally larger cabin and for me at 6'4" every bit helps.
2. Instantaneous shfting --you will miss the 458 in this regard. The 12 has a minor lag they say is cleared up in the 650.
3. 458 has rigid paddles that are very large. 12C has tiny paddles that rotate (but you can get extenders)
4. 458 hi end stereo better than 12 hi end stereo

12C over 458

1. A very noticable quicker car. Neck snapping
2. A nice interior layout with older school non sterring wheel attached items
3. Better design --blasphemy from the F guys but true IMO

Both cars very reliable based on my experience. I have had annual inspection on both --no issues. Get software upgrades

Enjoyed your thoughts and I agree wholeheartedly regarding the the 458 comparo. I have found that if I use "precog" in my 12c, the shifts are super fast, except from 1-2 which is still slowish. Its been awhile since I sold my last 458, so its hard to say for sure which shift is fastest without driving them back to back.

With regard to comparing the 12c with the FGT, I tend to agree that they are, in a sense, apples and oranges. However, the question that tends to bake my noodle is, if I could have only one, which would it be? I'll try to answer that in my next review...or at least I'll beat on the subject like a rented mule :)