The problem with lamorghinis...

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Thanks Chris for the terapeuthic support... And, hmm, what again did I pay !? .. Not sure anymore... I think it was Dollars... :biggrin

stefan

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I got mine for sticker at a dealership 3 miles from my house after an 18 month search, two failed deals on Ebay Motors, and a couple of rounds of insulting dealer offers and rejections from Galpin Motors in San Fernando Valley. :frown

Last edited:

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
All accurate comments on the Lambos. In the past month I have driven two Gallardos (a coupe and a Spyder) for work (does that sound funny... :rofl ) and I would say the following:

1. Lamborghinis have heavier steering and "squishier" throttle response, both of which add to the effort required to drive them (fast or slow).
2. Lamborghinis have superior interior material quality and certainly more high-tech/luxury features (Nav, killer audio system, AWD, stability controls, e.gear transmission, etc.)
3. Appearance is too personal to say "better" or "worse" based on any factual argument. Personally, I think the GT is about the best looking car ever made (a couple Ferraris and Astons rival it), but again, this is purely subjective.

You can read both of my Gallardo stories from the links below if you want (both have cool videos and killer photography, too). They come from someone who owns a GT and has driven the majority of modern exotic cars. In my opinion the GT is easily the best overall car, particularly when you consider heritage, cost and looks (not to mention the amazing development story behind this car). But, I may be a tad biased...

Gallardo Coupe Story:
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=109530

Gallardo Spyder Story: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/Followup/articleId=110194

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
There is a facinating one hour movie playing on the speed channel on cable or satellite on the making of the Ford GT. I recorded it two days ago. Really an amazing feat to build this car in 18 months from concept. The original project was called "Petunia" to confuse the competition and allow Ford to work on the car without news leaks. The original new GT was a yellow and black GT with "GT40" on the sides as it premiered at the Detroit Auto Show in 2002. I would recommend keeping an eye out for this one hour movie on the speed channel.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
That's a documentary done by Discovery Channel. You can order the dvd here.

Doing the entire development in 18 months is quite a feat and on the documentary you can listen to the design team refer to the "virtual car" and you have many screen shots and footage of the sophisticated PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) system employed. Ford utilized a PLM solution called CATIA for the design and engineering of the GT. By the way, this is the same solution that enabled Boeing to build the 777 without the existence of a physical mock-up (first time in Boeing history). CATIA is also the system of choice that Boeing is using on the new Dreamliner, recently designated the 787. Same goes for Airbus on the revolutionary 380. Also, all of our next generation aircraft carriers and destroyers are being designed and manufactured with the software. The parent company is Dassault Systemes (DASTY on Nasdaq).

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
Sounds like there should be a Discovery Channel special just on CATIA. :wink