The problem with lamorghinis...

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
I wouldn't dare post this on the lambo forums, but here's the truth. I haven't driven a lambo for months (really since the GT arrived), today I took one out of the garage and drove it for about 150 miles (98 SV) and I can tell you this; after putting 3k miles on the GT I HAVE NO DESIRE TO GET BACK IN ANY LAMBO!

Italian cars (whether lambo or Ferrari) seem ass backwards compared to the GT. I can't drive the lamborghinis (diablo, murci, gallardo or 6.0) anywhere near as fast or as comfortably as the GT. Its really a shame that more exotic car owners don't know about this car.

I'm sure this is going to cause me hell on the lambo boards... :biggrin

canuck

GT Owner
Mar 4, 2006
It is great despite what others may think of your opinion because I appreciate it in that I made the right choice and maybe I am not missing anything given I do not own a ferrari or lambo. Certainly many lambo owners may criticize you but those who do may have never owned a GT. I was going to get a f430 but my desire for one has dissipated since I purchased a Ford gt. This car is awesome. Everything I read seems to suggest the gt is the the one to have. Nice to hear someone who can drive a Lambo anytime still prefers the GT. It helps to reassure me in my decision.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
I would wholeheartedly agree.... I had a Murcielago and drove it hard - the GT is a much more fun car to drive. Also with the Lamborghini I was always listening for something to go wrong, don't know why, it just felt fragile somehow. The GT is like a sledgehammer - bullet proof.

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Not only will I defer to both Neil and Abolfaz (after all, as owners of other sports car marques they are in the best position to make such proclamations), but I also agree with them.

What is particularly remarkable about the GT (in addition to its obvious virtues) is that it was essentially the culmination of "only" 18 months of development by a passenger car company and yet successfuly competes with cars from companies that have long histories in designig nothing but SPORTS cars!

Eric

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
That's a good point and it's been made before - the fact that the GT is head and shoulders above a bundle of cars with a deeper pedigree is impressive.

I posted a while back that I did feel a dick getting out of the Murcielgo too, the epitome of mid-life crisis driving!! Such was the drama with the doors, the look, the color etc - the GT is so obviously an enthusiasts car, not ostentatious.

The Murcielago handled a bit better (I think) but is not as much fun to drive - there's a real joy with the GT that the big Lambo doesn't have.

FordGTGuy

Aug 1, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Sometimes when people talk about this car they don't add the point that this car had the fastest development in Fords history. It usually takes 5 years to make a sports car yet they made a super car in only 18 months.

And with only some minor recalls that were fixed fast and on the spot.

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
Neilda said:
The Murcielago handled a bit better (I think) but is not as much fun to drive - there's a real joy with the GT that the big Lambo doesn't have.

I owned a Murci for 2 years, and I find the GT to handle far better than the Murcielago. The Murci has a sluggish turn-in, HEAVY steering, and not nimble at all (the Murci is a big bulky car). I sold the Murci in favor of the Gallardo just strictly based on the handling and agility advantage in the Gallardo. And the GT handles better and is more agile than even the Gallardo. The Lambos are a little more sure footed in the corners (due to AWD), but I find the GT to be more involving. It makes you use skills that all drivers of high performance cars should have.

Ford has done an incredible job on this car. I still love my Gallardo, but the GT is a special beast. It's like having the best of both worlds.

piko6

GT Owner
Oct 5, 2005
hey clax did you get my pm??

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Clax, yes the Murcielago is 170 pounds heavier (and you can feel that in the steering), but I did find that it stuck to the road like a barnacle, absolutely unshakeable. The combination of the AWD system and the width of it at the wheels seemed to give it an extra something in the corners. The GT has more suspension travel and is 'wallowy' at high speed with the standard set up.... but you're right, the bulk of it detracts from the ability to throw it around.

The GT is a much more fun car to drive though - in normal conditions I doubt the difference in handling would be noticable.

The fact we don't have our Murcielago's anymore probably tells you all you need to know! :biggrin

Clax

GT Owner
Mar 22, 2006
piko6 said:
hey clax did you get my pm??

No! When did you send it?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Clax said:
Ford has done an incredible job on this car. I still love my Gallardo, but the GT is a special beast. It's like having the best of both worlds.

Perhaps we need a thread to keep track of how much we've driven our other cars since our GT's have arrived...

kjslider

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 1, 2006
socal
I really like my GT.

I also really like my new Gallardo Spyder.

I'm not sure I have a favorite.

Build quality of the body/interior is superior in the Gallardo. Both cars chassis/driveline are :thumbsup !

In terms of beauty and style, well it's really a matter of personal preference. The Gallardo is edgy whereas the GT is smooth & curvey. It's like comparing Blondes to Brunettes(throw Ferrari's into the comparison and you can add a Redhead into the analogy.)

Before I send the GT to Gerisch for the GTX conversion I'm going to stick some track tires on 'em and take them to the track and draw some performance comparisons.

Thank God there are so many awesome cars for enthusiasts to drool over. :banana

Last edited:

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
It's about celebrating the difference, I think..

I don' t agree that the Italians are beaten up here.. The GT is great, the Ferraris are great and have lot's of character and pedigree, the Lambo's are also great in their way and have their characters and challenges.

Let's leave it there. It's like with the ladies... If they would all be the same, no matter how perfect, it would be ... boring.
Soo nice to say, todaY, it will be the .. GT, and tomorrow... the Stradale, AND THEN.... - get the picture ? it's choice and difference and the individual adjustment that matters for entertainment. I think..

Stefan

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
You're quite right Stefan - comparison is a bit futile really, but it's good idle gossip as long as nobody's rude about other cars....

I do like chatting about them though, the pleasures, irritations etc Many of us have 'evolved' to the GT - in my case through Astons, Lamborghinis etc, so it's interesting (ish)!

I'm in Milan next month - you around?

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
I agree with the other GT owners, the contruction and the attention to detail of the GT has no equals. Italian cars, specifically Lambos and Ferraris have peaky torque curves, 80% of the GTs 500 ft lbs is available at 2000 RPMs. Hence the ease of driving it. Was at the Woodland Hills, Ca car show on Sunday, 4 So Cal GT owners were there, a few Lambos and Ferraris, specifically two Murciealagos, attention was on the GTs, pretty much the whole time. I think comments from the above GT owners speak the truth, the GT is a pleasureable car to drive, can smoke about anything out there and is better looking than the Lambos and Ferraris. Plus, when you are driving it, you know you are in the coolest car in this Universe ! :cheers to the FORD GT

Hey Neilda - Will be in London in June, Mayfair pint ???

Last edited:

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
SLF360 said:
...the Lambo's are also great in their way and have their characters and challenges.

I'm over the charachter and into the ease of driving fast that the GT affords me. The lamborghinis are too much work to drive as fast as I can with a stock GT.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Atomic - yes definitely around for a pint, maybe we could even stretch to lunch (my treat). I'll mail you my numbers now....

2005gt

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Neilda said:
I would wholeheartedly agree.... I had a Murcielago and drove it hard - the GT is a much more fun car to drive. Also with the Lamborghini I was always listening for something to go wrong, don't know why, it just felt fragile somehow. The GT is like a sledgehammer - bullet proof.

Well said...it does feel bullet-proof. After 17,000 miles, I've clobbered potholes in this car on hwy 5 doing 90 mph, driving terrible bump roads, daily-driven in for months on end (lots of city too)...I can tell you that this car rides exactly as it did one day one. No rattles, the suspension feels the same, and absolutely no vibration in the steering wheel.

Can someone name another supercar that can swallow potholes with zero damage? Glad they designed the car to have relatively high-sidewall tires.

I bought mine too early...paid the silly price...should have waited and bought two of these bad boys!!!!!

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
2005gt said:
I bought mine too early...paid the silly price...

Get over that one, best to forget, and - you are not the only one here... :rofl

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
SLF360 said:
Get over that one, best to forget, and - you are not the only one here... :rofl

Ah, but those of us that paid the silly prices got to drive the cars for a year before others...Think of it as renting the car for $5K a month...Hmmm...can't come up with any other rationalization...I have already forgotten what I paid for mine...yeah, that's it...I have forgotten what I paid... :ack