The Other GT-40

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Hey folks! I thought I would share an experience I had during a recent trip to South Africa. While I was there I stopped by the Superformace factory located in Port Elizabeth. In case you are not familiar with them they manufacture complete replicas of the Cobra, Daytona and now the GT. If you watch Dream Car Garage on Speedvision you have seen their cars.

Don’t confuse them with a “kit” car company as their vehicles come completely assembled and all you need to do is add an engine and transmission. If you dig deep into the company history you will discover they make/assemble complete cars for several very well known companies.

The GT they make is a tribute to the original series and is most respects an exact recreation unlike my 2005 GT which is a modern interpretation. The major departures from the original are things like a/c to make the vehicles streetable (but done in a concealed way). I think you can get one for about 70k and they are licensed to use the GT40 name and I think they are also authorized to continue the vins from the original batch end.

While I was there I had the good fortune of meeting the owner Jim Price. I was blown away that he took the time out of his schedule to accompany me on a factory tour (which is spread over several large buildings and probably 100 acres). When we finished the factory tour he invited me into his office and we had a cup of coffee and talked car talk for over an hour. I left with three impressions of Jim; One he is as much a car nut as anyone I ever met, two he knows his stuff inside and out, and third he is a true gentleman.

You should see their factory they make almost everything from scratch. In addition to fabricating frames, body’s, all the systems (fuel,suspension,etc) they make their own dyes and have their own steel press (between one and two stories tall-quite a site). The factory was spotless and I could tell there is a very high dedication to quality throughout the place.

Anyway I think I am going to order one of the GT-40s they make (I’ll tell my wife the 2005 GT was pregnant when I got it). Once I get it up and going I be sure to share some stories of comparisons of the two with the group!!

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Any pictures from your visit? Do they have a website?

Vic

GT Owner
Aug 5, 2005
The OC

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Here are a few pics you wont see on the website

Attachments

• PICT0327.JPG
    PICT0327.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 113
  • PICT0334.JPG
    PICT0334.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 103
  • PICT0341.JPG
    PICT0341.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 99

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
centerpunch said:
While the Superformance GT's tube frame is almost certainly better, it's not at all like an original GT40, which used a monocoque sheetmetal chassis.
http://www.racingicons.com/gt/start.htm

Their GT has a monocoque structure and said by folks that are experts to be the closest replica out there.

In October I booked a trip from Cape Town to Elizabeth down the garden highway and will stop in to see some car builders. S.A. has a thriving high performance limited production car industry.

Superformance is now building for Carroll Shelby fiberglass CSX cars.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Please let me know if the wife buys the "pregnant" story. Maybe I can get away with it as well.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
The Superformance car is a work of art... to bad my fat ass won't fit in one.
Otherwise, I would be on the list awaiting delivery. I have seen it at SEMA and it is by far the best replica out there, bar none. Not that I have a strong feeling about it :wink

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
Why does it seem like every one but ford can use the GT 40 name?

mardyn

GT Owner
Dec 20, 2005
Beautiful East Texas
I think that tube frame (pictured) must be for a Daytona Coupe....

mardyn

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
abolfaz said:
Why does it seem like every one but ford can use the GT 40 name?

maybe they were bad negociators?? why do some guys have to fight with car dealers and get lawyers involved and others negociate through issues?? sugar and vingar??

the superformance GT carries onward with the serial numbers of the originals and like ours will be in the SAAC registry.

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Why Ford can't use the name GT-40

The name "GT-40" is not owned by Ford and they would not pay the license fee to use it; Superformace is willing too and therefore able to use the name

GTx

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2006
Mansfield, Texas
Cars they build...

They assemble the Shelby (the body is from Kirkham (sp?). ) They make a classic Ford roadster (a steel car) and they manufacture the Noble.

They are also working with some other startups looking to bring some very exciting and interesting new cars to market as their manufacturer.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
GTx said:
The name "GT-40" is not owned by Ford and they would not pay the license fee to use it; Superformace is willing too and therefore able to use the name

that's correct, the story that came from Ford was that the owner (isn't it Safir?) wanted $40m for the mark. The owners claimed that those stories was false.
At any rate Jim Price who owns Superformance does have the rights to the name and continuation of serial numbers. Price is an amazing guy, spent an evening listening to him, I was indeed impressed.