The Mileage Dilema

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
I've had mine now for six months and she is my daily driver (if its not raining too hard), parts-chaser, and weekend fun drive. It is superb at each of these jobs and I plan on driving as much as possible and to hell with the mileage issue.
I don't know about other folk out there, but when I was a teen-ager and the GT40s were winning LeMans, this car was my unattainable holy grail. I cannot believe how lucky I am now to be in a time when Ford actually made it possible for me to live the dream. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
We are doing a dis-service to the Petunia Team by not driving the wheels off these things, so get out there and burn rubber.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I've had mine now for six months and she is my daily driver (if its not raining too hard), parts-chaser, and weekend fun drive. It is superb at each of these jobs and I plan on driving as much as possible and to hell with the mileage issue.
I don't know about other folk out there, but when I was a teen-ager and the GT40s were winning LeMans, this car was my unattainable holy grail. I cannot believe how lucky I am now to be in a time when Ford actually made it possible for me to live the dream. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
We are doing a dis-service to the Petunia Team by not driving the wheels off these things, so get out there and burn rubber.

Nice sentiments. I think the first year I had my GT I watched too much Barrett Jackson and I was afraid to drive my GT. I realized that I am not a celebrity or famous race car driver.

I now drive as much as possible. I sometimes stay away from some events where I do not my red GT parked in too conspicuous location.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Value of the GT

Investing in most apprecitable cars is a not always the best way to make a profit. After subtracting the cost of the space, maintenance, insurance, etc from the future sale price your profit will not be more; perhaps, even less, than a mutual fund if you wait enough years.

The value of my GT can't be expressed in dollars.

Ed

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Just changed the oil and drove her for ~50 miles today.... sweet......

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
Planning on buying a Ford GT within the next year, and I can tell you that there would not be much difference in what I would be willing to pay for a car with 10,000 miles or 50,000 miles on it, with condition, care and type of use being much more important to me. After all, the higher mileage car probably shifts better too ;). I plan on driving mine at every opportunity.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
The ones that aren't driven are called "garage queens" not "garage kings". I would rather be a king than a queen lol. You forum guys know what I think about driving a GT. I drive mine rain or shine. They just run cooler in the rain lol. Drove one to Chip's dinner at Rally IV in Austin in the rain with Hoosier slicks on the back. No problem. Why keep it pristine for your children to inherit? For their sake, I hope aluminum is at an all time high when they inherit my GTs......because I hope they are completely used up by me and they can crush what's left.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Planning on buying a Ford GT within the next year, and I can tell you that there would not be much difference in what I would be willing to pay for a car with 10,000 miles or 50,000 miles on it, with condition, care and type of use being much more important to me. After all, the higher mileage car probably shifts better too ;). I plan on driving mine at every opportunity.

Hey!!! A new member!!! WELCOME ABOARD, SIR! :thumbsup:thumbsup :cheers

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Iv'e never owned a car that I was worried about putting too many miles on
until getting the GT. I feel like driving it every day and am torn because I can
see racking miles up fast and the value dropping along with it.

On one hand, you only live once and why let the car sit in the garage,
on the other, you are driving dollars off it's value for every mile..

What is a guy to do??

I have a very close friend that has 8-10 exotic cars, like most of us here, he is very fortunate. Let's face it, 95% of the population never has a chance to own, much less drive a car like this. I have been blessed to own quite a few outstanding cars.

I never put many miles on them, less than 5K.

However, enjoy it while you can!

Rocky

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I have a very close friend that has 8-10 exotic cars, like most of us here, he is very fortunate. Let's face it, 95% of the population never has a chance to own, much less drive a car like this. I have been blessed to own quite a few outstanding cars.

I never put many miles on them, less than 5K.

However, enjoy it while you can!

Rocky

Well when you have many exotics to chose from it is hard to exceed 5K on any of them.

Either the rumors about EP are true, or he owns more cars than Jay Leno. :rofl

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
What is the value of a 1966-1969 Ford GT40? Does anyone ever care how many miles are on it? They are more interested in it's history. That's why I keep a log of every drive on my car - to give the next owner (after I pass on) the history of the car. Did anyone ask about the milage on the found Cobra coupe at the recent auction where it was purchased? Mileage is unimportant in the long run.

These cars will be in demand forever.

theseeker

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 31, 2009
Sugar Land, TX
Well when you have many exotics to chose from it is hard to exceed 5K on any of them.

Either the rumors about EP are true, or he owns more cars than Jay Leno. :rofl

Actually, he has over 40k on his 575 and about 30k on his 550 Berlinetta. Me, I think he is nuts. Then again when I told him I was buying two F GT's he said that I " would be buying two buckets of bolts." He is a very dear friend, but when we meet on the toll-road, the Ford will have Ferrari for breakfast!

FLY GT40

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2006
So. Ca.
my GT is my mistress. sometimes my wife joins in.

would that be a three some:banana:party:slap:driving:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
would that be a three some:banana:party:slap:driving:

Sometimes I just like to watch my wife and the GT together....

GTFUN

GT Owner
Aug 19, 2009
Atlanta,Ga
Then again when I told him I was buying two F GT's he said that I " would be buying two buckets of bolts."

Iv'e heard a lot a descriptions about the GT but never that one :screwy:

Last edited:

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
buy a backhoe and a large tract of land. Drive your GT all you want. When you die... be buried in it. You CAN take it with you. :biggrin

Again, thinking alike, I have ACTUALLY thought about this and checked the legalities and costs involved.

Nardo GT

Jul 15, 2006
Texas
Quote:To paraphrase Jim Glikenhaus, "To not drive your Ferrari (Ford GT) is like not having sex with your girlfriend, to save her for the next guy."

Quote Posted by Kayvan
Not driving a GT....is like not having sex with your wife for the benefit of the next husband

thats not completely accurate, not driving a gt... is like not have sex with your mistress:biggrin

Well stated andcompletely understood!:wink

64c2vette

Future GT Owner
Dec 20, 2009
CA
This thread reminds me of another discussion: I have never seen a tombstone that said " I wish I'd spent more time at work." We have no idea how long we have here. The only reason I don't drive my GT three or four days a week is unfortunately rather simple - I'm 6'6" tall and need to have the door wide open to get in and out. There are few places that I can be sure that I'll have an appropriate parking space to allow me to get back in when I get back to it.

I have over 13,000 miles on my GT and the third day I owned it drove it from Tomball, TX to Blythe, CA - about 1,340 miles, with just fuel stops. The car is incredible. I've used it in six GT Schools showing students just how fast and great handling a completely stock GT can be.

I'll let my heirs worry about wether putting a bunch of miles on a wonderful Supercar hurts its value.... At one time I hoped to have the highest mile Ford GT when I died, but with someone already covering 76,000 miles I don't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Richard Hille
The GT School
2005 Ford GT #916 White/Blue Stripes

Richard-
Thanks for taking the time to show me your car the other day and answer a few questions. Obvious you enjoy it. I believe there are one or two other GT's here in SYV, and if all goes as planned there will be another within a year or so, and it will be on the road often.
cheers -Sig

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
I try and drive my FGT every weekend weather permitting. I detest winter and the salt on the road primarily because it keeps me from enjoying my FGT and my other cars. I can't wait for SPRING!!!:banana

First as someone noted it not good for a car, any car to sit unused for extensive periods of time.

Second, I am certain that the regret you will feel in not driving and enjoying your FGT after it is gone will outweigh what perservation in value you accomplished in not driving it.

Drive her and enjoy but take good care of her.

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion
I am certain that the regret you will feel in not driving and enjoying your FGT after it is gone will outweigh what perservation in value you accomplished in not driving it.

So true !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup

Are you bringing your GT to Carlisle this year Sir ?

--

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah. On my trailer. :lol

I want a primo spot too!:thumbsup