The GT40 Vintage Wheels on My 06 Heritage

Kustom_Zee

GT Owner
Jun 17, 2007
Dear All,

Where can I find Vintage Design wheels that will fit my 06 Heritage.

Regards,

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
For more than 2 years, this subject has been a project I have pursued with several wheel manufacturers, and finally the wait is just about over. I anticipate having the details this month on real pin drive knock-off wheels that look just like the originals except engineered specifically for our Ford GT's in 18" and 19''. As soon as i receive the information with specifications, pictures and prices, I will post it. :cheers

Reactions: Fubar

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
Vintage wheels

I too am interstead. Keep me on your list. I was looking at the stock wheels last night trying to engineer something on my own. I will wait on your efforts.
Dan

Midnite Blu

GT Owner #755
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 14, 2005
Southern California
Kirby, I can't wait...sooner the better GO BLU

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
PLEASE - Put Me On The List

Kirby,

I am also interested.

I need new tires and would prefer something like this rather than putting on the Ford GT "standard" wheels.

Put me on the list.

Thanks

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Kirby,

remember you said you where going to email those specs. Talked to someone about what we talked about and seems that there is an alloy blend that does not have that issue. first gen ... yes ... after no.

S

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Based on the speed that these cars are able to attain and their sometimes frequent use by various owners wouldn't a bolt on "look a like" pin drive be better and safer with a three ear spinner? Trigo makes 17" inch wheels that look like knock offs but are bolt on's.

I wouild be interested in a set of vintage "look a like" wheels.

HeritageBruce

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 13, 2006
Southern CA
I would be interested if the wheels are 19" front and rear and about 1/2" - 3/4" wider. There are more selection of tires for 19" all around wheels and since we can put 255 to 275 tires on the front and up to 345 in the rear, it would only make sense to have wider widths also.

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
Based on the speed that these cars are able to attain and their sometimes frequent use by various owners wouldn't a bolt on "look a like" pin drive be better and safer with a three ear spinner? Trigo makes 17" inch wheels that look like knock offs but are bolt on's.

I wouild be interested in a set of vintage "look a like" wheels.

Ditto. Not sure I want to go 150mph+ on a true knock off when a safer alternative is available with the same aesthetics,

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Those front wheels just can't be made to look like the concepts.
The brakes on that thing sat a lot further in than on our GT's

I'm not even sure the rears can be made to look concept exact...
Good luck trying..

ford_gt_123.jpg

ford_gt_2003.jpg

ford-gt-1.jpg

Last edited:

AtomicGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Los Angeles
KV

Put me on the list of interested GT owners for this upgrade.

Nice work.

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Me tooo Me tooo :banana

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Kirby-

How about a spy photo or something?

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Kirby-

How about a spy photo or something?

Chris, if I had one, it would be posted. Hopefully, most of the info including pictures will be available within a couple weeks. In the interim, just take a look at any of your GT40 pictures - the wheels should be close enough to provide both you and your gals a big smile :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin :banana

AZGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 20, 2005
Scottsdale, AZ.
Sounds exciting. Would love some in the gold anodized color.

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
Kirby,
It was great to meet you last weekend at Cars and Coffee here in Irvine. At the time I forgot to ask if you have any update to the pin drive wheels in development(?) for our gals. Any update would be greatly appreciated, with photos too if they are now available. Thanks,

JCE-GT (Tungsten - 0187)

pauleddy

Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 14, 2007
Newport/Boca Grande
Seems to me the originals were manufactured by HALLIBRAND and were "knock-off" spoked wheels. Is this company still in existence and does any Forum member have a contact to re-manuracture a look-alike wheel but perhaps a safe bolt-on alternative? If so, count me in for a set of front/rear's in appropriate sizes that will satisfy all the clearances necessary for the '05/'06 FGT.

Last edited:

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Halibrand was the key manufacturer of original GT40 wheels in the 1960's. Since the October SEMA Show I have been in communication with them concerning reproduction wheels for our GT's. They can provide the wheels in either forged magnesium (like the originals) or forged aluminum. Forged magnesium wheels and center-lock (knock-off) wheels are largely misunderstood by the American automotive public. But suffice to say they are used almost exclusively on Formula One and the cars of other race venues. Magnesium wheels benefit unsprung weight, acceleration, braking, suspension, safety and everything except your pocketbook. Center-lock wheels are very safe. Several Forum members have 427 Cobras with these wheels on high horsepower 427's, and I doubt that any has ever lost a wheel or had one come off unexpectedly...unless they forgot to put on the center-lock, which is the same as forgetting to put lug nuts on a conventional wheel. However, Halibrand's plan is to offer the wheel as either a center-lock or bolt on. IMO, the only advantage for the bolt-on is lower cost. Although I had expectations of having the wheels by now, I learned this week that the target date would be this Fall.
A friend has been working with another major wheel mfgr who is much closer to providing sample center lock wheels in aluminum which have a strong resemblance to Halibrands but with a slight retro look. Both of these companies will do the wheels in only the stock GT sizes because of the forging and/or tooling costs. I was told we may have a sample in March, so my expectation is April or May. They are coming, and will probably be worth the wait. I don't have any pictures or costs but both companies only sell through distributors so they will be available at a competitive price. IMO, if we ever have the opportunity to purchase forged magnesium Halibrands they will be cheap at any price. :cheers

Kirby Vieira

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Atlanta
Kirby,
It was great to meet you last weekend at Cars and Coffee here in Irvine. At the time I forgot to ask if you have any update to the pin drive wheels in development(?) for our gals. Any update would be greatly appreciated, with photos too if they are now available. Thanks,

JCE-GT (Tungsten - 0187)

The pleasure was mine. What a good time that was. The updates above are based upon info received since the C&C. We may have photos of the wheels on a GT w/i 60 days, with prices at the same time. :cheers

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Thanks Kriby for the update. I can't wait!:banana