The Gremlins are back!

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
O.K., here we go again. Relatively nice day yesterday, so I drove my GT to the gym[I just LOVE this car!], no "funny" stuff-cold roads and tires and driver. Came out to head home, unlocked car, key in, everything on, push starter, "click" sound, everything off, nothing. Remove key, try again, nothing-no lights on dash, no flasher etc etc. Out of car, make a phone call, back to car, try to open driver's side door, it's locked! Open front hood, remove shroud around battery, jiggle terminal connections, try door again, still locked, try manual opening with key, no luck, try to open with key fob, no luck, try manual again, it opens!:banana
Try to start, it starts!:banana:banana Engine check light on, shut down, re-start, light off, drive home, car runs fine.
I haven't had this problem before. Wondering if I did not push the start button all the way in first time and somehow woke the Gremlins up. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Negative frame attachment

My first recommendation would be to remove the battery ground wire attachment to the frame and sand area lightly for better electrical contact. Many, many electrical quirks have been traced to this source so I would definately try that first!
Keep us posted.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Ditto

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
Actually Autozone, Pep Boys any of those places sell a special tool for cleaning battery terminals and the leads. Small investment for routine maintenance and peace of mind.
:cheers

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
How was your battery charge? Been driving it lately? Need a float charger on it. Sure you had the clutch all the way in? Indy GT is probably right (one of the first answers he's given without needing a calculus or engineering reference book handy). Way to go Bill. Brevity can be awsum (as in GT).

tiger 6

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 5, 2006
virginia
How was your battery charge? Been driving it lately? Need a float charger on it. Sure you had the clutch all the way in? Indy GT is probably right (one of the first answers he's given without needing a calculus or engineering reference book handy). Way to go Bill. Brevity can be awsum (as in GT).

I think the battery charge was o.k. Have been driving her 1-2 times a week when the weather has been good. Will check the battery ground. Terminals look to be o.k. also.
Thanks for the sugestions :cheers

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
I think the battery charge was o.k. Have been driving her 1-2 times a week when the weather has been good. Will check the battery ground. Terminals look to be o.k. also.
Thanks for the sugestions :cheers

I know how nutty this sounds, but the battery terminals can LOOK fine and still have enough corrosion on 'em (on their actual contact surfaces) to screw things up. For some reason, the FGT's are r-e-a-l-l-y sensitive to this kinda stuff. I'd suggest you rough up the terminal's surfaces anyway just for the heck of it regardless of how they may look.

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Man.....Frank you're busting my chops!!!
I always try to keep it simple.....especially for YOU.

Just to be clear, the junction I was describing as needing a good cleaning is the point where the negative cable attaches to the frame (not the battery post). This is where many previous owners having unexplainable electrical problems have found their solution. Some GT's had paint on the frame which hinders good electrical contact. Tiger, clean this junction and reattach using recommended torque to the fitting.

Hope this helps...

gtx1

GTX1 Owner
Apr 5, 2006
battery ground

O.K., here we go again. Relatively nice day yesterday, so I drove my GT to the gym[I just LOVE this car!], no "funny" stuff-cold roads and tires and driver. Came out to head home, unlocked car, key in, everything on, push starter, "click" sound, everything off, nothing. Remove key, try again, nothing-no lights on dash, no flasher etc etc. Out of car, make a phone call, back to car, try to open driver's side door, it's locked! Open front hood, remove shroud around battery, jiggle terminal connections, try door again, still locked, try manual opening with key, no luck, try to open with key fob, no luck, try manual again, it opens!:banana
Try to start, it starts!:banana:banana Engine check light on, shut down, re-start, light off, drive home, car runs fine.
I haven't had this problem before. Wondering if I did not push the start button all the way in first time and somehow woke the Gremlins up. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Ihave had the same issue, the problem is the threads are weak and eventually will not hold tight. I drilled thru the frame to thruogh bolt the ground, no more problems. Bob C