The FORD GT: Buying and Owning IT and 5 Other Supercars!

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Pics of all my cars in a line-up

A friend of mine on another forum did the custom line-up pic with my name and the cars name above each one. Did a really nice job. Michael :thumbsup

Attachments

• michael575.jpg
    michael575.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 293
  • All-MY-CARS-11.jpg
    All-MY-CARS-11.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 313
  • All-MY-CARS-20.jpg
    All-MY-CARS-20.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 286
  • All-MY-CARS-Group-Ford-GT.jpg
    All-MY-CARS-Group-Ford-GT.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 296
  • All-MY-CARS-Group-Pictures-.jpg
    All-MY-CARS-Group-Pictures-.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Michael, as I've said before, that is a stunning line up of cars you have - a beautiful collection.

I was quite tempted by the Porsche early last year, but didn't do it. Very finely built and a superb sound track to go with it!

Which of all of your cars catches your eye the most? (You won't be shot if it's not the GT!). I thought my Murcielago (yellow) was a stunning car - but the Ford has all the lines I most desire....

You have some extremely tough choices on a sunny day! :biggrin

EasyEric

GT Owner
Mar 6, 2006
Florida and Georgia USA
Michael, I agree with Neil, you certainly have a stunning collelction.

As for which one looks the best? The Lambos are head turners, but somehow I get the feeling their styling is too contemporary and will not stand the test of time. The Ferraris are beautiful, but not as conspicuous as one would want a supercar to be (this may be desirable to some).

The Carrera GT? Inimitable technology, stunning execution and aural bliss, but looks too much like an MR2 on steroids, in my humble opinion :frown

The Ford GT on the other hand, is unique in its design and looks like nothing else on the road. It has head turning looks, has already proven its design is timeless and is almost universally loved by car nuts and the casual auto laymen.

Truth be told, I'd be Michael's 'cabana boy' for the summer just for the chance to drive all those delicious rides! :biggrin

Eric

Last edited:

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Eric, I entirely agree with your summaries - spot on from my perspective too.

Michael may feel differently. I think you're so right about the Murcielago too - I adored its lines, it's the most amazing car in the 'flesh' and there's many times I washed it and then just stood back and admired the art of it. But saying it's perhaps too contemporary is exactly it.

I suspect each car has it's unique angle and hidden style element that only ownership reveals. The Murcielago, for example, has a beautiful line over the front wheels - a small hump - that catches the eye.

Nice subject to ponder on. Very nice garage to look into!

bondmid003

Apr 17, 2006
Gulf Breeze, FL
I'm just curious magwheel but what do you do for a living? Other than that I must say you have perhaps the single greatest collection of contemporary cars that I have ever seen. Now all you need is an enzo and maybe a Z06 while they're still hard to come by. :cheers

spicysushi

Apr 16, 2006
Stunning! The picture begs the question, which of the cars is the "daily driver"? :biggrin

magwheel said:
A friend of mine on another forum did the custom line-up pic with my name and the cars name above each one. Did a reallt nice job. Michael :thumbsup

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
It's time for the Ferrari F430

My owner's experience with the 2005 Ferrari F1 F430. After I purchased the Ferrari 575 Maranello in late June of last year, 2005, I immediately fell in love with Ferrari. I originally wanted a F430 but when I asked the salesman (Mike Finneran of MAG - Midwestern Auto Group in Columbus, Ohio) if I could get one of them, he chuckled politely and said there was at least a 2-3 year waiting list. But then he mentioned that they had a brand new 2004 Ferrari Maranello demo with only 110 miles on it. I asked why such low mileage and he said the owner was driving it as his demo and since they had 15 other brands of cars, he changed demos brands frequently, thus the low mileage. So we struck up a deal and I had my first Ferrari. Whoa Daddy!! It was all downhill from there! I was instantly a Ferrari addict! That's when I knew I had to have the F430! So my search began.

Since I didn't know where to look first, I thought, how about eBay? Well..... isn't that where you find everything you always wanted? After a couple weeks of searching, I found one at Scottsdale Ferrari in Arizona. She only had 117 miles on her but it was listed as used.... not a demo. This is where I begin to have trouble with Ferrari (dealers). Ferraris are SO much in demand that there's this outrageous game the dealers play. The following statement is MY belief and NOT a substantiated fact! They get someone to buy the car new and put say 200-400 miles on it. Then this person brings it back to the dealer who in turn buys it back (I'm guessing they give the first owner the FULL purchase price AND a couple extra thousand dollars for his trouble). Don't you feel sorry for this poor guy? The dealership then sets the price to whatever the market will command (usually something insane) because it is now a used car!

I've been told that the Ferrari Company does not allow its dealers to sell their cars above the Factory sticker. Just look on eBay and you'll see coupes selling above $230-240K and Spyders selling for $300K plus! Thus the GAME! The sticker on my car read $187K but I had to pay $260K (well, they really weren't exactly holding a gun to my head!) or else my only other choice was to buy a Mattel Hot Wheels F430 model off of eBay. You just can't get a new Ferrari for sticker unless you're on the so called 'list'! As the great comedian W.C. Fields once said: "Sometimes a man has got to grab the bull by the tail and face the situation!"

I picked this particular F430 because of its very low mileage (all the others on eBay had at least 300-400 miles or more). It also had the F-1 Transmission, Ferrari Red brake calipers, the Scuderia Shields, Carbon Fiber interior trim panels, rear Leather Shelf, the Leather Headliner, CD changer and the leather seats also had Red stitching AND Red piping to match. I actually didn't buy it off the eBay auction but I called the dealer and worked out a deal (yeah...RIGHT). After finalizing the purchase, they arranged the shipping and I waited and waited and waited. I kept calling the dealer and asked where the car was. Then I was told all of a sudden, that the shipping price was going to be a little more. All in all, it took close to a month or more to get my F430.

I asked the trucker to bring it to a small plaza in Poland because there was plenty of room for him to unload the car. BUT... the unloading room wasn't the big problem.... the car's dead battery was! We couldn't even start the car to back it off the truck since it had a dead battery. Wonderful! The dealer had not turned off the battery kill switch that would have saved the battery during the 2 week transportation.

After much brainstorming and lots of swear words, we decided to manually push it back a few feet so he could open the side door of the car hauler and I was able to open the passenger door of the F430 and crawl into the car. I had to take the passenger firewall kick plate off so we could get to the secretly hidden dead battery. Good thing he had one of those portable self contained battery chargers or we would have been SOL! I get the kick plate off, touch the cables to the battery posts and BAM... a few sparks flew. Scared the hell out of me! Sure hope I didn't destroy the electrical system!

Well, we finally get her started and backed out off the truck to the view of a dozen anxious spectators waiting in the parking lot to see what's coming off this car hauler. Once off the truck, they all proceeded to surround the car like Indians around a wagon train. I'm being asked all kinds of questions and I haven't even sat in the driver's seat yet to know how to do anything on the car! The truck driver gets out of the car and says, "I think you should see this." Now what? Then a small surprise arose..... the speedo was screwed up! It read 55,555 miles or something crazy like that. I was afraid that I had just zapped the electrical system! Great, just great!

I decide to tip the driver and his wife $100 cause he was a really great guy and called me several times while on the road with updates on where he was and when he thought he might be delivering the F430. I then ask my girlfriend to follow me in her Range Rover in case anything goes wrong. I get her home that night with no problems what so ever. I put a Battery Tender on her and two days later the battery comes back to full snuff. After the battery is fully charged, I read the owners manual that day and decide to try and reset the car's security system code to see if that fixes anything. Bingo, the speedo jumps back to normal! Phew!

It took lots and lots of phone calls to get the title because of internal accounting problems within the dealership. I was also promised the original window sticker which took over a month or more to get because the first buyer was out of town. No kidding.... he was spending his 117 mile 'ride around' profit of $5-10K or more! I have forgotten to mention that I traded a 2004 BMW 645 convertible with only 2200 miles on the F430. I had bought it for my girlfriend and she hardly drove it at all. She had all kinds of excuses why so wouldn't drive it and to have it just sitting around collecting dust seemed stupid.

The F430 is absolutely the easiest of all my cars to drive. It's almost idiot proof which makes it perfect for me! You turn the key, put your foot on the brake, push the red start button, push the reverse R button on the console, back her out of the garage, touch the right upshift paddle for first gear and you're off and running! I like to keep her in the Automatic Mode all the time. If it's good enough for Michael Schumaker, it's good enough for me! The car is really comfortable and there's plenty of interior shoulder and leg room and rear visibility is near excellent (probably the best of all the cars I have). The F1 shifts pretty smooth but sometimes in the AUTO mode, it tends to hang on to the revs a little too long. Kinda scares the heck out of you but then she finally upshifts

The interior leather quality makes you feel like you're sitting on a King's throne! Absolutely stunning workmanship! The seats have beautiful red stitching and red piping over all the edges. The dash is also laid out beautifully with red stitching everywhere and very easy to read gauges and a huge Yellow (in my car) RPM gauge. I also have the leather rear shelf and headliner plus the carbon fiber dash panels which really help to dress up the interior even more. The radio is fairly easy to operate but the station digits, setting buttons and mode buttons are a little too small to see if you need reading glasses (like ME). You better have them with you or else you'll have no idea what you're doing. Plus, I think the European car manufacturers love to torture us with their little symbols on the buttons for everything. I've gotta go back to College to learn sign language or hieroglyphics and then maybe I'll understand them!

Then there's that that ENGINE..... oh my God!! Just starting her up puts goose bumps all over your body! Driving down the road at moderate speeds, she screams like a dozen hornets nests that were just broke open and they're all right behind your head chasing you ass wherever you go! Even if you get on it just a little, she whines and screams with an intensity that's hard to imagine. You absolutely have to hear it to believe it! There have been several posts elsewhere on the web that have said "forget the Tubi and other aftermarket exhaust systems, the F430 stock factory exhaust is absolutely perfect." Boy are they right and not kiddin a bit!

Not only does she sound great, she flies with the 'greatest of ease'. The F430 just wants to try and chew up anything in its way. Touch the throttle and she jumps like a beautiful woman that's just been goosed! I'm telling you, this car is a rocket ship in the true sense of the word! She rides real smooth and you hardly feel any irregularities on the road unless you hit a large bump. The steering is precise without being edgy and the brakes are very good. This F430 is an absolute pleasure to drive.

I've read various road tests all over about how fast the Murcielago , the Carrera GT and the Ford GT are and you and I both know they're true. BUT, I think the F430 may be able to tickle their asses a little and give them a slight surprise. One thing you must remember.... I personally haven't thrashed any of my cars yet because of their needed break-in mileage. Although in honesty, I usually don't try to set any Land Speed records anyway. In my opinion, the F430 is an absolutely fantastic car that any owner would be proud of and never regret purchasing. Plus, I'm pretty sure knowing its resale value will probably retain the highest percentage of the original purchase price of all the supercars I own, is worthy of a very large smile anyway.

There may be SLIGHTLY faster supercars cars (acceleration and top speed) around, but none that I feel are so easy to drive and enjoy every day of the week. The F430 is the true meaning of the phrase 'Let's Rock and Roll!'

p.s. The license plate X HIPPIE is a little take on part of my life in the late 60s and early 70s. I was a hippie wanna be. I wore some of the popular clothes then and had fairly long hair but just didn't go all out. If you look at the rear shot of the car showing the license plate, the car was running and some of the exhaust smoke was drifting over the plate. Kinda 'psychedelic' huh? Just like the F430! Right on man! :banana

Attachments

• F430-driver's-interior-#2-6.jpg
    F430-driver's-interior-#2-6.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 234
  • F430-driver's-interior-600-.jpg
    F430-driver's-interior-600-.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 213
  • F430-engine-compartment-clo.jpg
    F430-engine-compartment-clo.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 211
  • F430-engine-compartment-far.jpg
    F430-engine-compartment-far.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 205
  • F430-front-600pix.jpg
    F430-front-600pix.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 225

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
5 more pics of the F430

Attachments

• F430-front-close-up-600-pix.jpg
    F430-front-close-up-600-pix.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 191
  • F430-left-front-600-pix.jpg
    F430-left-front-600-pix.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 194
  • F430-left-rear-600-pix.jpg
    F430-left-rear-600-pix.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 195
  • F430-left-side-600-pix.jpg
    F430-left-side-600-pix.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 186
  • F430-left-side-front-600-pi.jpg
    F430-left-side-front-600-pi.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 184

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
The last five pics of the F430.

Attachments

• F430-passenger-interior-600.jpg
    F430-passenger-interior-600.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 180
  • F430-rear-(engine-smoke)-60.jpg
    F430-rear-(engine-smoke)-60.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 199
  • F430-rear-(old-plate)-600-p.jpg
    F430-rear-(old-plate)-600-p.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 192
  • F430-right-front-600-pix.jpg
    F430-right-front-600-pix.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 177
  • F430-trunk-600-pix.jpg
    F430-trunk-600-pix.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 183

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
another fine car, cant wait for the rest of the stories.

96GTS

Nov 9, 2005
Fords, NJ
You do have another room in that house? I'd like to be adopted. :thumbsup

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
questions on your F430

Hey Magwheel,

Incredible car & great story (as usual) to go w/it! I have a few questions & please forgive me if I sound ignorant...

Do you still drive the Maranello or is it F430 all the way? Or did Euni pick up the Maranello since you now have your own F1 & sold her beemer? hehehe

I'm not clear on why they do that w/the prices... If demand is so great, why isn't the list price higher (say $220K or more 430's made?) Are they afraid that having too many 430's out there would lower the value of the car?

Is the F-1 transmission the kind that's up by the steering wheel? I saw that at a car show on some Ferraris & it looked like an interesting way to drive. If this is what you're referring to, how is the difference between that & regular manual transmission? Was this your first car that had that?

What are Scuderia Shields?

You mention Poland. Are all of your cars now in Ohio or are they in both places? If you brought it here, can you drive it in the States as is or did you have to do any mods to it?

Do most of the super sports cars have that little red start button (like your F430 & the Ford GT)? Do you know what the purpose is rather than just turning the key or does it have to do w/the engine being too powerful?

Finally (& most importantly), if you need help getting your cars past their break-in point, I'd be more than happy to volunteer!!! :lol

Glad to hear you're enjoying her!!!!!! :thumbsup

Mary Jo

Feb 14, 2006
Magwheel is located in Poland, Ohio not the country Poland. I know this because he is right near me (Youngstown,Ohio) We are both in the same general area.

BTW Magwheel, you have an absolutely beautiful collection of cars. I especially like the 2006 Murcielago. That color has to look even better in person then in the pictures. I'm sure your happy the weather has been pretty nice to start to be able to enjoy the cars.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Uh Ohhhh!

96GTS said:
You do have another room in that house? I'd like to be adopted. :thumbsup
I really don't think my five dogs would be happy campers with any new boarders! Nice try though! :lol Michael

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Feet to the fire!

piccola said:
Hey Magwheel,

Incredible car & great story (as usual) to go w/it! I have a few questions & please forgive me if I sound ignorant...

Do you still drive the Maranello or is it F430 all the way? Or did Euni pick up the Maranello since you now have your own F1 & sold her beemer? hehehe

I'm not clear on why they do that w/the prices... If demand is so great, why isn't the list price higher (say $220K or more 430's made?) Are they afraid that having too many 430's out there would lower the value of the car?

Is the F-1 transmission the kind that's up by the steering wheel? I saw that at a car show on some Ferraris & it looked like an interesting way to drive. If this is what you're referring to, how is the difference between that & regular manual transmission? Was this your first car that had that?

What are Scuderia Shields?

You mention Poland. Are all of your cars now in Ohio or are they in both places? If you brought it here, can you drive it in the States as is or did you have to do any mods to it?

Do most of the super sports cars have that little red start button (like your F430 & the Ford GT)? Do you know what the purpose is rather than just turning the key or does it have to do w/the engine being too powerful?

Finally (& most importantly), if you need help getting your cars past their break-in point, I'd be more than happy to volunteer!!! :lol

Glad to hear you're enjoying her!!!!!! :thumbsup

Mary Jo
Hi MJ (if I may use a short?),
1) I actually drive all the cars equally so that they get their share of exercise. Euni can drive the F1s but she's kinda afraid to drive them. She mostly drives them when I 've had too much wine to drink!

2) Even though demand is huge, the factory tries to set their pricing on what they feel will be competitive wiithin that particular car's market. It's the dealers who play 'Chinese checkers' with the prices! The factory only can make so many cars a year and they only import so many to the states. The sticker on the F430 Convertible is somewhere around $210-220K. They're going for $310-350K on eBay right now!! I was with a friend last night who just bought his and he was lucky..... he only paid $70K over sticker!

3) The F1 is really a great tranny. I leave mine in Auto mode (got lazy) and hardly ever use the paddles behind the steering wheel. Supposedly, the F1 can shift gears faster than a person can with a stick shift.

4) Scuderia Shields are the little badges on the front sides of the car. They are put on by hand and really set the car off IMO. The dang things cost $1700 (if I remember right) as an option!

5) I think the purpose of the 'little red starter button' is it saves the wear and tear of always turning a key to start the car. It probably cost less to install too!

6) You wouldn't beleive how many of those offers I have had! I don't think Euni would understand though! :lol Michael

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Youngstown,Ohio

redlineautotransport said:
Magwheel is located in Poland, Ohio not the country Poland. I know this because he is right near me (Youngstown,Ohio) We are both in the same general area.

BTW Magwheel, you have an absolutely beautiful collection of cars. I especially like the 2006 Murcielago. That color has to look even better in person then in the pictures. I'm sure your happy the weather has been pretty nice to start to be able to enjoy the cars.
Yep.... Poland is a suburb of Youngstown. 4-5 miles away. Michael :wink

VENOM 650R

Apr 23, 2006
TEXAS
Michael, fantastic cars! Thanks for the personal reviews and pics. I saw a video on Streetfire of a Porsche CGT and an F430 and the Porsche left the F430 far behind. I assume the CGT is the quickest/fastest in your collection.

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
Michael,

Thanks for your response! It's good to know that when you have your very own personal car show/open house (note my optimism), you are only a short flight away!!! :biggrin

Do you still have the clutch with the F1 transmission? Or just the throttle & brake? I'm going to have to try one of those out someday to see what it's like. Better wait until I can afford one first...

It doesn't surprise me that you've had many offers, but I had to try!!!! :lol

More stories to come???? :cheers

MJ

Last edited:

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Do you still have the clutch with the F1 transmission? Or just the throttle & brake?

There's no clutch pedal. The car controls clutch engagement and shifting. There's an "automatic" mode where the car mimics an automatic. If not in automatic, the driver signals the computer to upshift or downshif with paddles on either side of the steering wheel.

Several manufacturers are offering similar auto-manual transmissions.

BMW has the SMG
Ferrari has the F1 and now the F2 on the 430
Lambo has the E-Gear

and the "best" one, in my opinion, is the VW DSG.

The DSG cannot (yet) address the HP of the Ferrari/Lambos, but it the best feeling, smoothest and fastest shifting. Like the others, it also incorporates rev-matching throttle blips on downshifts. A very cool transmission - and a sign of things to come...

Piccola

GT aficionado
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 17, 2006
Grand Junction, CO
sounds great! thanks, MJ