The FORD GT: Buying and Owning IT and 5 Other Supercars!

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Well guys.... here it is! I've finally taken the group shot of all 6 cars together and have gotten the OK from the Admin to start a new thread. It will be about how I found and bought the Ford GT and my other 5 Supercars and what it's like to drive and own them.

I'll give you some of the details of my finding the right car, then trying to work over the salesman, taking delivery of them and driving each one around and evaluating their controls, handling, interior quality and exterior fit and finish.

I'll also include as many pictures as the forum will allow for each review. I think it's only 5 per post so I might have to do a couple or more posts to enter all the pics of a car. Please don't ask me which car is my favorite because I really don't have one. I like them all too much to be able to choose a favorite.

If you have any questions or comments (good or bad), let me hear them. I hope you enjoy these reviews and their pictures. Michael :biggrin

p.s. Please give me a little time to enter each review. Admin said I should repost the Ford GT review here so it will be easy for you to stay in one spot and do you own evaluation of each car.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
MY 2005 Ford GT review

OK everyone, Here we are. The Rambo, Chuck Norris and possibly the greatest American Supercar of all, the 'Good ole American made, American muscle, the FORD GT. So let's Rock and Roll!

It's January 14, 2005 and I'm on my way home from the office, it's 3 p.m. or so and I'm minding my own business looking forward to a nice dinner. I get home and let the dogs out, come back in and see there's a message or two on the answering machine. Check a couple out and then finally get to this one...... "Hello, my name is Frank (so and so) from Donnel Ford in Boardman, Ohio, and I've been told by someone who knows you that you're into 'exotic cars' and I have something here you might want to look at. It's called a Ford GT. Please give me a call so we can make an appointment because I'd love to show you the car. You can call me at 758-_ _ _ _."

I turn to my girlfriend Euni, of 5 years (now) and say "What the heck is he talking about? I heard about the Ford GT from a dealer friend of mine, an absolutely unreal car from what I've read, and I've also heard that they're sold out from now until the end of the world and there's even a waiting list after that! Why on earth is he calling me? Besides, what's the gag with me supposedly liking 'exotic cars'. I got a few BMWs and the Porsche GT2 and a couple of Range Rovers. What's so 'exotic'? Yeah maybe the GT2, but when I hear the word 'exotic', I think Ferrari, Lamborghini, ummmm what else? See, I don't even know what's 'exotic' and heck, I have a hard time even spelling Lamborghini!

OK..... I'll bite!! I tell Euni, let's hurry up and eat and we'll go up to the dealership and check out this Ford GT. We'll just look it over and then go home. Yeah... sure! Somehow I think I've said that before ... a million times! I call this guy Frank and tell him we're coming up to see the car and he tells me he'll be waiting for me. Yeah..... I'll just bet you will! My mind is spinning with an attack plan just in case I like the car and may try to work out a deal, WHAT?..... Wait a minute, how the hell am I going to be able to buy the Ford GT. I just spent $215K on the Porsche GT2! WHAT am I thinking? I gotta see a shrink.... soon!

We get there around six or so and start walking forward to see the GT which is sitting in the middle of their showroom. Frank hasn't found us yet. From a 30 or 40 foot distance, it's an outrageous red, with white stripes at the bottom, sits lower than ants eating crumbs on the ground from a picnic and looks like it could be 'faster than a speeding bullet'..... sorry Superman, but this thing looks even faster than you!

I remember my Dealer friend telling me that the car was going to sell for around $150K or so. Still don't understand why they're calling me though? We walk closer to the car to check out the sticker...... sure enough it reads $155K and change. What's going on here? Wait a minute..... there's some kind of piece of paper or sign taped on the front window. Ahhhh..... NOW I understand why they called me! That little piece of paper on the front windows says 'OUR PRICE $250,000. I turn again to Euni and say wait a minute, I gotta go to the restroom, throw-up and then check my forehead out. I think a-hole or s_ _t head must be engraved on it!! Of course she's laughing her little ass off at me (she loves doing that you know)!

I regain my composure and start talking to Frank who has just come over after he sees me turning around in circles mumbling! Frank says hi and I say "Frank..... what's all this special pricing about? Are you guys trying to pay the dealership mortgage off with this sale?" Frank says "calm down.... Do you like the car? Good, let's see if we can work out some kind of deal." Frank asks if I want him to start it up and I say OK. He starts the car and revs it up and now I know for sure that I'm screwed!! I say to Euni... "This should be good. They'll probably knock a couple thou off and think they got my ass! Heck, I don't NEED or really WANT it that bad....... the HELL I DON'T!!" I WANT THIS CAR! I can see it now, LeMans, Laguna Seca, Monaco..... maybe the Indy 500. There's no end to what I can do with this 'bolt of lightning'.

So we sit down, start massaging numbers, and soon the General Manager, Donnie comes over (he's been trying to sell me a car for years but their price has never turned me on) , enters the conversation and we finally come up with a number, $216K plus I tell them they have to make the first two payments, and he says he has to get it OKd by the owner (another decent friend of mine). Dave, the owner, OKs the deal and, and.... I've got my first 'exotic supercar'! Damn, I feel good!

The reason I made them make the first two payments was because there was a recall on all of the Ford GTs due to control arm problems. Why? Because as I was told and read about later on, there were hairline cracks appearing in them from being made with a new process called ' injection casting process' or something like that. They then tell me they're not even sure when I'll be able to take possession of the GT but it could be as long as a month or two. Are you kiddin?

So after agreeing on the deal, I get my financing approved in a day or two and they tell me they'll keep me up to date on when the control arm replacements will be shipped. I wait and wait and wait! It's now early March and I'm getting 'ants in my pants' psycho. So I call Donnie and he says he'll check and see what's going on. He calls me a day or two later and says Dave called Ford, supposedly bitched them out saying I bought the GT on January 15th, I'm a very good customer and it's to the point of being ridiculous and they say OK, they'll ship them out immediately, ahead of all others on their schedule! Not too shabby!

The control arms finallt come in on March 16th. They begin work immediately. Meanwhile, I decide to make a trip to the dealership cause I want to see what all this fuss is about. I get there the next day and their mechanic shows me the old and new arms. The old ones are nice but the new ones are a work of art. FORGED! SHINY! BEAUTIFUL! He says he had to take an old one off, put it in the special box and then put the new ones on and repeat the process all around the car. Then they have to pack up all the old ones and send them back to Ford! Donnie and Dave tell me that the whole exchange is costing Ford around $8000 per car! Ouch! Later on, I read or hear that the actual figure is near $15,000 or so!

It's Thursday, March 17th, 2005, St. Patrick's Day. Too bad the car's not Electric Green! Eunice drops me off at the dealership and I'm about to come home in my new FORD GT. Donnie and the mechanic show me the ins and outs of the car and I start her up and almost have an orgasm! As I begin pulling out of the dealership, there's a couple dozen or so employees and spectators waving and smiling to me! Whoa Daddy! I cruise home and park her in the garage and just look and look. It's mine..... all mine!

A couple days later, I get a call from Frank and he asks me if everything is OK with the GT? He then tells me, he, his wife and his kids want to thank me for buying the Ford GT. He's very happy now and has enough money to buy school clothes for all his 5 or 7 kids. I thank him for his concern and say I'm glad to have supported his family in school this year. Later on that month after talking to Donnie and Dave (who is one of my new drinking partners at the local restaurant where we all go to) explain to me that they gave Frank a commission of $30K! They say that they were not going to take advantage of the sale but were going to offer a fantastic commission to the seller of the car. Jeez... that really makes me feel good! Yeah right!

I suppose you would like to hear a little about the mechanics of the car now, Huh? All right, here we go.

Your at the car and open the door and..... wow.... that door really opens wide. Wonder why? I start to get in and whack! Now I know why the door opens so wide. There's this thing attached to the door and it's part of it. It hangs over the door edge about a foot or so. Crazy, but wild design. I sneak into the driver's seat finally and freak out over the interior and all the neat looking toggle switches and retro gauges and seats with holes the size of nickles in them. It's really comfortable and everything is within easy reach. The radio is decent, a McIntosh, but the buttons are small, confusing and tricky to change bands and modes. I check to see how to set the clock and can't find it. I look in the manual, find out how, set the time and everything is OK...... except it defaults to the radio station preset every time you restart the car. I have only had the clock on one or two other times since. It ain't worth the hassle. Bad design!

There's no storage space in the interior. No glovebox, no console, no anything! Whatever you want to carry in the car will have to sit on the floor between your legs. Oh yeah, no drink or coffee cup holders either. You better have a lot of close friends who are willing to sit next to you to hold your coffee or you're SOL! No ashtray..... GOOD! No change tray..... BAD! No Cruise Control....... hey, how come none of my supercars have that? Maybe their theory is that your not supposed to be cruising around but instead should be going through the gears taking full advantage of the cars capabilities instead of driving them around like Grandma used to!

Taking the car for a drive goes as follows: Get in without tearing your head off (it really isn't that bad.... it just sounds good saying that), put the key in the ignition, push in the clutch, turn the key to start.... hey, I can't turn the key to start..... oh yeah, you don't turn the key to start! You push this little red button on the dash that says 'start'..... I knew that! The car starts with ease and seems to say, "I'm ready, willing and able..... let's go get em kid!" I put her in reverse, in reverse, in reverse..... reverse is a little tricky here. You kinda have to smack the stick a little to convince it to go left and into 'R'. You start backing up and all of a sudden you have no idea what the hell is behind you! I go to get back out of the car to see if there is anything behind me and smack.... yep,you got it, I nailed the door overhang with my head! This is for real! Getting out is really the hairiest part of ingress and egress. You have to put your right arm on the windshield pillar and push up slowly and backward to avoid the overhang. After 3 conks on the head, (Euni had 4 or 5), I learned real fast! But this is what makes this and the other cars I own so nice. They're different is so many ways from 'normal' cars, that you feel special just to be able to negotiate the special tricks of driving them.

Well, were going down my drive which is about 2500 ft. long and I can keep her in 1st gear and not even hit 1500 rpm or so. In the Carrera GT, I have to shift to 2nd and she's still doing better than 2000 rpm. On the road now and she feels great. This car has the long legs of a 8' basketball player. It just cruises along so mellow that it's unreal. Push down on the throttle anywhere, in almost any gear and pow, bang, boom, she rockets off into the sunset. The torque on this machine is like that of a bulldozer because of it's supercharger. I probably could pull out some old stumps from my fields if necessary!

There's lots of people out there with some sore necks from jerking them all over the place looking at the GT. Boy does she draw attention and comments. What the heck is it? Waddya mean it's a Ford? You trying to be funny boy? No honestly... Ford made this car! After I finally convince them and walk away in one piece, they're still looking with amazement. I get her out on 680, our local freeway, and give her some gas to let her stretch out. It's 3 to 4 miles before the next exit and I'll bet I could keep it in 4th gear doing 70 or so. The power of this car is unreal. You punch the throttle and you feel like you can reel in any car on the road like a 8" fish on shark tested line.

Filling her up with gas is fairly easy although you have to use your key to unlock one of the side latches to pop the cap. The latch on the other side pops open the trunk hatch lid. Oh, there's a little space there in the trunk but not too much. The engine latch is above the driver's head near the rear window. What's funny is, today when I went to take the pictures of her, I forgot where the latch was. Had to look for 3-5 minutes to find it. The clam shell engine cover is huge but super impressive. I won't have to tell you about the engine cause the pictures will do that for me. Plus, I'm not totally sure what everything is back there anyway. There's space age stuff all over. Almost looks like a mini space shuttle!

What's really wild is when you look over your shoulder while driving and see this huge (well it looks like that when you in the driver's seat) supercharger with it's belts and pulleys just spinning wildly behind you! If she ever blows, you can kiss your ass goodbye! And there's that sound! Pure American Muscle Car kinda sound. Just like in the 'good ole days'. You know, 427 Corvettes, 454 Chevelles, 426 Hemis, 455 4-4-2s, 428 Ford Mustangs and GTO Judges all making ground pounding horsepower and earthquake torque! This is just like all of those and more. Trust me.... I had three of the five I mentioned. I was lucky as heck to live in the era of the 'true American Muscle Cars'. It's something I will never forget.

I just happened to cruise down a 4 lane highway last summer in the Ford GT when we had a annaul National Hot Rod Show and Meet. It was lined with people for a mile or so. As I went down the road, there were thumbs up everywhere and tons of people taking pictures just like if the President of the United States was visiting our town!

I bring her back home and slip her into the garage while remembering that door that seems to swing open 50 feet or so. I get out making sure not to wind up needing stitches in my head and close the door. I step back and gaze at her with complete amazement. She's beautiful, awesome, unreal, ground shaking and boy does she sit low. Wait a minute..... isn't this almost the same car, the Ford GT, (albiet a slight variation of the original car the GT40) who 's historic 1-2-3 sweep at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1966 and its consecutive wins over the next three years beating the hell out of Ferrari? That's right, she is! And they say American ingenuity is dead. Are they kidding me? U.S.A. U.S.A. U.S.A.

p.s. Please check out the one pic looking out the rear window from inside and you'll get an idea of what the driver is really able to see. Hardly anything! I told you I can't see squat!! :thumbsup

Attachments

• Ford-GT-&-house-front-600-p.jpg
    Ford-GT-&-house-front-600-p.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 1,205
  • Ford-GT-&-Porsche-GT2-575-p.jpg
    Ford-GT-&-Porsche-GT2-575-p.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 1,203
  • Ford-GT-at-House-595-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-at-House-595-pix.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,160
  • Ford GT cylinder head 600 pix.jpg
    Ford GT cylinder head 600 pix.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Ford GT driver's glass view of engine 600 pox.jpg
    Ford GT driver's glass view of engine 600 pox.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 1,136

Pipelion

Holy crap,

I gotta read all that?.................OK I will. :cheers

Allan

PS....I'll post a reveiw in a week when I get done. :banana

Last edited:

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
More pics of my Ford GT

Here's the next ten!

Attachments

• Ford-GT-driver's-interior-5.jpg
    Ford-GT-driver's-interior-5.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 986
  • Ford-GT-engine-driver's-sid.jpg
    Ford-GT-engine-driver's-sid.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 945
  • Ford-GT-engine-view-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-engine-view-600-pix.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 982
  • Ford-GT-front-high-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-front-high-600-pix.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 995
  • Ford-GT-front-low-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-front-low-600-pix.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 995

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Some more pics of the Ford GT

The third set of 5.

Attachments

• Ford-GT-left-front-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-left-front-600-pix.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 888
  • Ford-GT-left-rear-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-left-rear-600-pix.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 888
  • Ford-GT-left-rear-side-600-.jpg
    Ford-GT-left-rear-side-600-.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 885
  • Ford-GT-left-side-rear-600-.jpg
    Ford-GT-left-side-rear-600-.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 863
  • Ford-GT-passenger-interior-.jpg
    Ford-GT-passenger-interior-.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 882

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Some more pics of the Ford GT

The last set of 5. Enjoy, Michael

Attachments

• Ford-GT-rear-glass-view-of-.jpg
    Ford-GT-rear-glass-view-of-.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 880
  • Ford-GT-rear-low-600-pix.jpg
    Ford-GT-rear-low-600-pix.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 893
  • Ford-GT-rear-view-doors-ope.jpg
    Ford-GT-rear-view-doors-ope.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 938
  • Ford-GT-rear-view-visibilit.jpg
    Ford-GT-rear-view-visibilit.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 940
  • Ford-GT-right-hatch-open-60.jpg
    Ford-GT-right-hatch-open-60.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 886

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
great plate........watch those guillotine doors (I love calling them that). Off with your head!

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
cool plate , good story.

Pipelion

OK, I don't get the 'plate', it went right over my head, just as I hope those guillotine doors do. :biggrin

Allan

Someone please explain.

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Game OV4 ?

Pipelion said:
OK, I don't get the 'plate', it went right over my head, just as I hope those guillotine doors do. :biggrin

Allan

Someone please explain.
Allan, I borrowed it from the movie, 'Alien'. There was a scene in the movie that just as the Alien was about to attack the crew, one of the crew members muttered..... "Game Over Man!"

I guess what I'm trying to say with that plate is, if you mess with this Ford GT, the GAME'S OVER!

I tried getting GAME OVR, but it was already taken so I had to settle for GAME OV4. Just goes to show you that at least somebody else had the same idea as me!

Did a lot of you not understand the plate? Michael :confused

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Pipelion said:
Holy crap,

I gotta read all that?.................OK I will. :cheers

Allan

PS....I'll post a reveiw in a week when I get done. :banana
Allan,
when done, can you write an executive summary !? (Headlines in bold, and underlined pls, not smaller than 12pts, Times roman pls)
Thanks, buddy !

stefan

Pipelion

SLF360 said:
Allan,
when done, can you write an executive summary !? (Headlines in bold, and underlined pls, not smaller than 12pts, Times roman pls)
Thanks, buddy !

stefan

Holy Crap,

I gotta write an executive summary?............OK I will. :cheers

Allan

PS Not

Pipelion

magwheel said:
Allan, I borrowed it from the movie, 'Alien'. There was a scene in the movie that just as the Alien was about to attack the crew, one of the crew members muttered..... "Game Over Man!"

I guess what I'm trying to say with that plate is, if you mess with this Ford GT, the GAME'S OVER!

I tried getting GAME OVR, but it was already taken so I had to settle for GAME OV4. Just goes to show you that at least somebody else had the same idea as me!

Did a lot of you not understand the plate? Michael :confused

Michael,

I should have, 'Got it'. The other guys got it. I like it! :cool

Allan

PS All I needed to do was through in a little New York accent, and "bam".

Last edited:

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
The 'Terminator' - The 2004 Porsche Carrera GT

Ahhh, now it's time for the 'Terminator', the fabulous Porsche Carrera GT. Here's the story. I had just purchased the Ford GT in January of 2005. I was very happy, sitting at home and quite satisfied with the Ford GT and my ass kickin 2003 Yellow Porsche GT2.

So, one day I'm talking to a friend of mine at a restaurant and he mentions that he just saw an outrageous car up in Cleveland, Ohio at a Porsche dealer. He says it's called a Porsche Carrera GT and it's unreal. Oh yeah, I tell him, I've seen that car online and in magazine pictures. It looks like a spaceship on wheels. He gives me the dealers name and I tell my girlfriend that night that she and I are going to go to Cleveland one day to JUST look at it. Yeah right! Why is it that every time somebody mentions seeing an outrageous car, my eyes start spinning around like a kaleidoscope?

Well, I'm eating my guts out wanting to see the car so bad that guess what? We went up to Cleveland two days later. We locate the salesman I talked to on the phone and he takes us over to see the CGT and UH OH...... am I'm in trouble! There's drool running down my face, my girlfriend I think is talking to me and I don't even know she's there and then.... on top of that, I think I just wet my pants! You gotta be kiddin me! Is this thing real or is it a concept car that NASA developed?

He sits down inside the car and starts it up. Revs it up and up and up and then asks me what I think? Huhhh.....? I look like I'm busy catching flies with my mouth because it's wide open like the shark in the 'Jaws' movie. I close my eyes and imagine that I'm in the movie 'Grand Prix' with James Garner and Yves Montand or in 'LeMans' with Steve McQueen!!!

My head is spinning and I got this hysterical look on my face. How the hell can I somehow manage to buy this car? He asks me if I would like to sit down and try and work out a deal (we drove my 2003 Porsche GT2 up there to show them we weren't pulling their chains about being serious on the car). Nah..., I don't want to try and work out a deal.... just like I don't want to make love to Pam Anderson, Elle McPherson, Jessica Simpson and Jessica Alba all at the same time!

So we sit down and pound some numbers and after awhile, I say the heck with it. I give him a number I think is right and tell him if he can get the deal to that number, he's got a sale. He asks me to give him a day or two because the next day is his day off and he'll get back to me. Now there's an intelligent salesman! I'm trying to buy a $448,300 car from him and he wants to call me back in a day or two because of his day off! I'm waiting the next day with my head down on my desk crying cause he hasn't called me back yet.

OK, screw it, I'm not waiting. There's got to be more of those CGTs out there. I'll just call other dealers to get a quote from them and to keep Cleveland honest on top of that. I call Columbus, Ohio, the Byers Automotive Group, talk to Michael Kirkham and he along with his General Manager are grinding numbers left and right. They finally get within a few dollars of where I want to be and I say as a gentleman, I have to give the Cleveland dealer one last chance to give me his price. Just for the heck of it, I decided to also call the Cincinnati Porsche dealer and they want time to work out a deal. I DON'T have time..... I want that car RIGHT now! You guys know what that's like, don't you? A little while later, the owner of the Cincinnati dealership calls me on my cell phone and wants to talk to me because he married a girl from my the Youngstown area and wonders if he knows the person who wants to buy the CGT he has. Felt kinda nice talking to the 'head honcho'!

That afternoon, Cleveland calls back and gives me a price. Good but not there yet! Anyhow, to make a long story short, Cleveland and Columbus are battling it out to make the sale. Columbus gets to the price and goes even below and I'm extremely happy. Cleveland isn't happy and they try and make another final offer. I'm having a mental breakdown answering my cell phone every 5-10 minutes. Finally, I tell my girlfriend, "I'm done, I can't take it any more. You answer all the calls and make the final deal. Whatever it is, I'm OK with it. I not talking to anyone else!"

She finally closes the deal at 3 or 4 that afternoon and Columbus wants to deliver it that night! Huh? OK with me! I guess they were worried I might change my mind at the last second. Felt pretty good though getting approved on a $443,800 car in only an hour or so..... Thanks again DAD!!

They deliver her in an enclosed trailer around 7 p.m. that night. Mike and the driver get out and we start trying to unload her with regular aluminum ramps and 12-14 ft wooden extension 2 x 12s. First try, craaaack!...... the wooden boards break in half. We try and try and try again! After close to an hour or so, we finally get her off the trailer. Damn does she sits so lowwww. Anything larger than an ANT crossing the road better get the hell out of the way!

I've trade my Porsche GT2 on her and I'm really sad seeing him load it into the trailer. I loved that car! I've also traded a 2004 BMW 645CSI coupe with only 4000 miles on the speedo on the CGT. Just too many cars sitting around and I've only got one ass! Later the next day or two, Mike calls me to see how I'm doing with the CGT and then tells me he got nailed on the freeway by a State Patrol car because his license plate sticker on my 645 BMW had expired! I was driving that car around for months with expired plates and didn't even know it. He showed the officer our purchase papers and the officer let him go with only a warning. Phew!

This machine is unreal, honestly! It really is a race car on the street. You try and get in.... but it's a lot easier if you're related to Harry Houdini because you have to be a contortionist to have a chance of sitting down. Well almost.... I have the XT seats which means they're made for us fat ass Americans. I almost fit... just gotta lose 50 or 75 lbs.! Just kiddin...... but they really do hug your butt. If you're claustrophobic, this is not the car for you. If you have a passenger in the car, don't both of you turn toward each other at the same time or one of you will wind up with a broken nose! I guess what I'm trying to say, the cabin is certainly cozy. The gearshift lever is in the middle of the upright console which seems really weird but is surprisingly easy to operate and has a great feel.

The instruments are easy to read. The radio is pretty good, but unless you've got reading glasses of about 5 power, you've got no chance of seeing what the hell you're doing. The numbers are real small and the mode buttons are in some kind of cryptic code language. The car's leather seats and dash are of excellent quality. Great seating position but you feel like your ass is going to drag on the pavement because your sitting so lowwww! You put the key in, start the car (hope I remembered to wear my diaper) and ohhh my God! What have I got in my hands. Darth Vader..... look out because I am the 'FORCE' now!

You start to back her out of the garage and then hey..... what's going on. There's nothing behind me. Wonder why? Well that's because you can't SEE anything behind you! The only car with worse rear vision is the Ford GT. Women, children and pets, run for your lives!

When I first try to drive the car, I remember reviews telling me not to give her any gas at first but to just slip the clutch and as she starts rolling, then give her some fuel. They were right! 2 to 3 times in the first few weeks that I drove her, I stalled it in heavy traffic making a turn. Really makes you look like an ass and scares the hell out of you! I think I've finally got it down pat now, but it's still in the back of my mind and haunts me. The gas and brake pedals are floor mounted instead of hug from above, which because it's a different feeling for me, may contribute to the lack of ease in starting out

The ride is pretty firm and you feel every ripple strip and imperfection on the highway. The first time we took it on the road, we both looked over at each other in shock because we couldn't hear the radio and had to speak pretty loud to be heard. I guess we're use to it now. The headlights are super bright.... probably the brightest of all my supercars. The rear wing is really wild and the carbon fiber upright struts really stand out! It goes up at I think speeds over 60 or 70 but you can raise it up manually at any speed.

This car is 'stupid fast'. If you're an idiot you'll be in trouble very quickly! One night coming home from a restaurant we frequently visit, some jerkoff was playing with me and I decided to act out the famous saying in the movie 'Network', saying..... "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore." So we're going over a freeway bridge at the time and I goose it some and she starts going sideways a little. Whoa Daddy! Brilliant move! Well that takes care of my desire to be Evil Knievel anytime soon!

As you'll see in the pics there's carbon fiber everywhere. Seats, door sills, dash, rear wing struts and the complete belly pan. The dealer tells me don't run over anything bigger than a pebble or your insurance company is not going to be too happy replacing the belly pan to the tune of $30-40K!

Other than the clutch, the only other minor pain seems to be that the transmission is a cold bugger.... especially in Winter. She takes at least 2-3 miles or more to warm up so you don't have to granny shift to avoid grinding some gears. The other minor quirk is the air exit vents behind the front tires are gravel and debris collectors.

Probably the funniest story I can relate to you is..... There's this girl that I eventually meet at a later date at the same weight training gym we go to and she tells me one day she's in her Porsche Boxster going down the street. She said she hears this thing coming from behind her and looks in her rear view mirror but doesn't know what the heck it is. As I flew past her, she STILL didn't know what the hell it was that just zoomed by.... but she told me she definitely heard it! This CGT sounds just like a F1 Race Car. When in the right rev zone at speed or when revved up at a stand still, she sings a song like no other car on the road!. Wanna be just like Michael Schumaker someday? Then this is the car you want! :wink

I think the plate ' ILL B BAC' fits her perfectly...... how about you? Michael

Attachments

• Carrera-GT-artistic-shot-60.jpg
    Carrera-GT-artistic-shot-60.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 314
  • Carrera-GT-carbon-door-sill.jpg
    Carrera-GT-carbon-door-sill.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Carrera-GT-driver's-interio.jpg
    Carrera-GT-driver's-interio.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Carrera-GT-engine-screen-co.jpg
    Carrera-GT-engine-screen-co.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 272
  • Carrera-GT-front-600-pix.jpg
    Carrera-GT-front-600-pix.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 272

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
Carrera GT pics

2nd set of pics for the Carrera GT

Attachments

• Carrera-GT-left-front-600-p.jpg
    Carrera-GT-left-front-600-p.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 240
  • Carrera-GT-left-front-wheel.jpg
    Carrera-GT-left-front-wheel.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 207
  • Carrera-GT-left-side-600-pi.jpg
    Carrera-GT-left-side-600-pi.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Carrera-GT-paqssenger-inter.jpg
    Carrera-GT-paqssenger-inter.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 208
  • Carrera-GT-pedals-600-pix.jpg
    Carrera-GT-pedals-600-pix.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 215

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
3rd set of pics for Carrera GT

Here's the final set of Carrera GT pics. Hope you enjoy the review. Michael

Attachments

• Carrera-GT-rear---wing-up-6.jpg
    Carrera-GT-rear---wing-up-6.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Carrera-GT-rear-600-pix.jpg
    Carrera-GT-rear-600-pix.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 202
  • Carrera-GT-right-rear-600-p.jpg
    Carrera-GT-right-rear-600-p.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 199
  • Carrera-GT-right-side-600-p.jpg
    Carrera-GT-right-side-600-p.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Carrera-GT-side-view-of-rea.jpg
    Carrera-GT-side-view-of-rea.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 210

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
another good story, great looking car.
You touched lightly on the pedals, looking at them it would seem as though you foot could slip fairly easy. have you had any problems?

Pipelion

Michael,

The words tell one fine story. The pictures show the lines. The car must be seen in person close up though, to capture it's design wonders.

It's so funny as I read your posts, I keep getting this big sheet eating grin on my face because you comunicate so well. First I'm prejudice, sold out on this NASA wonder every since the 2000 Detroit auto show when Porsche unveiled the Carrera GT here in the states. The grin is intensified by the fact you own this car. Your not some guy that is writing a story, driving the C GT for a day or week. The permagrin gets worse as I remember you also own the amazing Ford GT. Wow. Not to mention your orthers.

Nothing beats a car guy crawling around on the carpet or road looking at all the details. The build quality on that car is beyound words. I'm drawn to examine every nook and cranny. You've brought me closer.

Well done five stars,

Allan

Pipelion

Michael,

Both the Ford GT and the Carrera GT are such stunning eye catchers. How do people's reactions compair between the two GTs as you go by?

We have read so many great Ford GT stories of various reactions to the GT.

Is there a difference?

Also how have you handled, all the extra attention with the two GTs?

Allan

magwheel

GT Owner
Mar 26, 2006
Ohio
todd said:
another good story, great looking car.
You touched lightly on the pedals, looking at them it would seem as though you foot could slip fairly easy. have you had any problems?
Hi Todd, I don't think I slip around that much but they are close together so your feet occasionally bump each other and sometimes you foot hangs up on the dead-man's footrest.

The hardest part is the unnatural feeling at a stoplight of pushing the clutch pedal forward and down instead of forward and up. That's when your foot seems to slide around on the pedal. It's weird to try and describe. Most of the time, I just put the car in neutral because it's easier than holding the pedal down waiting for the light to change! Michael :lol