Jan 14, 2006
The one on the stiring wheel, is all funkie and getting worse,Has this happen
to any of us here?

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Yea me too! Mine looks like it was sprayed with battery acid. I have absolutely no clue what happened. To say my car is pampered is a gross understatement. My best guess is overspray from window cleaner containing NH3. Possibly from Maguire's Leather Conditioner, although that's unlikely since it is applied with a wipe and the spotting on the emblem appears sprayed on.

Now the bad news ..... the emblem is not available separately. Yep, you guessed it ..... you'll need to buy a complete air bag assembly to the tune of ~$1,000 installed. Welcome to my world.

This will be my 2nd - the first was cut by some Prep Bozo that used a razor to remove the protective plastic from the steering wheel.

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Maybe there is a protective covering on it. :confused

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Maybe there is a protective covering on it. :confused

Mine has done this as well. My first thought was protective covering but I picked and tinkered with this for 15 minutes and there is no protective covering. I had thoughts of posting a picture of this problem but by posting this thread you beat me to it. Does anyone think this would be a warranty item? I am sure this was not this way on delivery.:confused

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
same story here...

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
I would have to be warranty, but try some mothers wheel polish on a cloth and lightly rub it and see if that helps? That is virtually a free fix if it works.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Can you describe what the failure mode looks like? I just drove mine today and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary...but honestly I was not looking.
AJB

canibl

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2005
Sacramento, Cali
This happened to me as well. I simply took it to my awesome Ford dealership and they replaced it under warranty. Like it has been said, you have to replace the entire air bag piece that is on the steering wheel (~$1000) since ford doesn't sell the emblem. In my case the exterior finish of the emblem was perfect but I had spiderweb cracks beneath the clear plastic covering of the emblem. I never used any products/chemicals on the emblem or on the steering wheel.

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
I posted this a while ago -- no response worth mentioning. Maybe there is a growing need that one of the manufacturers on the forum will address:

I've watched with admiration as entrepreneurial types have developed the aftermarket for the Ford GT but nobody yet to my knowledge has come up with the item that would please me most -- a replacement or overlay steering wheel hub resembling the original(see attached gt40 interior photo). What I don't know is whether the air bag makes it impractical for a vendor to offer one or whether I'm the only one who cares about this.

When you drive a modern Ferrari, you've got a black-on-yellow cavallino rampante staring at you and it's good to see. Do you agree that it woud be nice to have a real or imitation enamel boss that resembles the original?

Attachments

• gt40 swboss.jpg
    gt40 swboss.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 522

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Kip is working on a CF wheel.

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I would have to be warranty, but try some mothers wheel polish on a cloth and lightly rub it and see if that helps? That is virtually a free fix if it works.
Tried it ..... only made it worse!

DUROC

GT Owner
Aug 6, 2006
Westchester, NY
That's good news. Hope he is keeping to the OEM diameter, which is perfect.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
My wheel just started spotting after 3 years, I guess we are all destined to have this problem.
I bought that decal cover from Shelby, may try it out tonight....

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
Someone on the forum made replacement overlays that are an exact replica. I still have the one I bought in case it ever happened. Cannot remember who but will check my files.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
For all you newbies - go down to Post #10 or #5 and click on the flag of BONY's - Surprise!! :thumbsup

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Someone on the forum made replacement overlays that are an exact replica. I still have the one I bought in case it ever happened. Cannot remember who but will check my files.

I am pretty sure Shelby Smith at ShelbyElite is our man!

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
We did a run of decal overlays. They were an exact "COPY" of the original,, took all of 30 seconds to install, but a few people complained about them not having the DEPTH look of the original since ours was a simple decal, and the original was a metal button with a clear laminate over the button, which is why over time the original delaminates. The plus side was our decal was $29 as opposed to the $800+ to replace the entire airbag which is the only way Ford will sell the steering wheel button. Out of 50+ or so decals that we sold, I refunded 2 peoples money, no questions asked and told them to keep the stickers, as they seemed to have higher expectations of this sticker. Therefore, I decided not to go with another run. Not interested in getting further complaints over a $29 sticker. Sorry guys.....

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
:frown glad I got them when they were available. I thought they were a great resolution and a bargain.

andymlow

GT Owner
May 17, 2007
Sarasota, FL
As usual, a few can spoil it for the many.

FENZO

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 7, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I speak only for myself not the many, so I'll admit to being 50% of the refund requests Shelby recieved. The decal was mis-cut, it had a white crescent 1/16"-1/8" edge on one side (not centered). I offered to send it back so that they could perhaps get some relief from their supplier, they weren't interested and refunded the money promptly. No problem...now this.

Were my expectations too high? What should I have done?:ack

There is a guy on ebay that sells what looks like an aluminum cap, it has been discussed here before I think (link below), but my posts about it get deleted (not by DBK). I'm happy with my current solution, but has anyone tried that? (search "Ford GT horn button" on ebay)

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/s...n-Button-Replacement-on-eBay&highlight=airbag