Thanks to the GT Minders!

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
I was really disappointed that Karen and I were unable to make the Rally this year. We had planned to start with a Portland trip to see our daughter and her fiancé, then driving a rental convertible to the rally. We made reservations for the rally, flights, hotels, rental car, and transport and were ready to go.

A month ago my father took ill and we spent each day with him, whether at home, hospital or ICU. The Monday before our flight to Portland he seemed to be doing better so I loaded the car with Passport and we readied ourselves for the following Friday's flight. By the time Friday came around dad was doing much worse so we canceled what we could and ate the rest.

My father passed away last week, his funeral held yesterday. Throughout this ordeal my mind was elsewhere and the GT was an afterthought. So much so, that one of my friends here was amazed I didn't know where my $250K (ok, maybe a little exaggeration, but not by much) car was. I told him that if he met our GT Rally family, he'd understand my lack of concern.

I'd like to give my sincere thanks to Dave Bannister, Bill Dickie, Frank Pikul, and anyone else who took care of my GT upon arrival, while there, and making sure it was loaded for the return trip. It arrived home today, I'm sure it had a much better week than we did.

I'd also like to thank Rich Brooks who I believe replaced the missing Ford badge on the front and whoever did the black shine on the tires. Other than a little dust, it looked better than when it left originally.

On to next year ...

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
My condolences to you, Jim, and may your father rest in peace.

Vince H

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 23, 2012
Southern California
Very sorry to hear this Jim. My deepest condolences from my family to yours.

Vince H

THamonGT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Sorry for your loss and your inability to travel to California for the Rally. It is great to hear of the members taking care of your GT and a safe return home to you. Sue and I had to call off our trip also at the last minute due to a Medical problem with our 5mo. Grandson. This great Forum has wonderful careing members who really understand situations come up. Thanks for posting, you and your family are in our prayers.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Jim
Sorry to hear of your loss
DBK took good care of your car !
I loaded it for the return trip!
It was well cared for I assure you !
My best regards
Ron

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Sorry to hear that Jim. You should have called. I had a great time driving the car without your permission, although I'm not used to black. My condolences. Glad the car stuff worked out.

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Jim
Sorry to hear of your loss
DBK took good care of your car !
I loaded it for the return trip!
It was well cared for I assure you !
My best regards
Ron

Ron

Thank you so much for taking care of getting 'er loaded for the return trip, it is greatly appreciated.

Thank you to all for the condolences. I was fortunate to live in the same town as my father, talking with him daily and seeing him 3-4 times a week. Nonetheless, it leaves a void.

Again, thanks to all.

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Sorry to hear that Jim. You should have called. I had a great time driving the car without your permission, although I'm not used to black. My condolences. Glad the car stuff worked out.

Frank,

I got so wrapped up with daily trips of about 1 1/2 hrs to and from the ICU, coordinating with the medical team and keeping all the friends and relatives up to date that time got away from me. I really appreciate the chat we did have though.

Concerning the driving of a black GT, I'm assuming you'll be contacting Rich to get yours painted. Won't quite be the genuine thing, but only you and I ... and a couple of others friends ... will really know its a red one posing as a true black one!

Blue Moose

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Apr 12, 2006
Chandler,Arizona.
Frank,

Concerning the driving of a black GT, I'm assuming you'll be contacting Rich to get yours painted. Won't quite be the genuine thing, but only you and I ... and a couple of others friends ... will really know its a red one posing as a true black one!

This is why this forum is the last thing I read most nights. Throughout the days ups and downs I can count on this forum to be a bright spot, It will make you laugh and cry. It will make you think and may learn a little something too. Love you guys and Frank.

Jim, our condolences to you. You and your family will be in our prayers.

John and Michele

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Good lord. 'Truly sorry to hear about you dad. 'Been there, done that. 'Not easy...

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Jim, I too am sorry to hear of your Dad's passing. I have gone through this as well and it is never easy. As I told you earlier, you were where you needed to be with family and that the GT family would take good care of your car in your absence. It was well represented with a few other black GT's in the color grouping shot of all attendees. You were there in car spirit.

Glad the car made it back home in better condition than it left.

Hope to see you at next year's rally!

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I found with the loss of my own father.Its a hole in your heart that you eventually just get use to.
But the hole in your heart is always there

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
I found with the loss of my own father.Its a hole in your heart that you eventually just get use to.
But the hole in your heart is always there

Agreed and it has been 10+ years for me but the memories still remain

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
These are the "real" car tenders watching every move on the loading home.

Attachments

• j.jpg
    j.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 121

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
So sorry to hear of your loss, God Bless.

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
Agreed and it has been 10+ years for me but the memories still remain

+1

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
I'd also like to thank Rich Brooks who I believe replaced the missing Ford badge on the front and whoever did the black shine on the tires. Other than a little dust, it looked better than when it left originally.

On to next year ...

Was curious about the missing badge. Did someone swipe the original badge???

Rally8-8306copy_zps75a6f981.jpg

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
So sorry to hear of your loss. Your GT was well cared for. Dave is exceptional when it comes to taking care of what's really important. I was talking to another owner when he was asking after the young man who was there cleaning cars, and made sure yours was cleaned up for the ride home.

Take care, and God bless.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Sorry for your loss gtjim. Love our dads. We missed you!

Ed

gtjim

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 28, 2006
Was curious about the missing badge. Did someone swipe the original badge???

Darn thing wouldn't stay adhered! Lost a couple of them that way, first one about ... er ... lets just say slightly above the speed limit, second one doing 45. Looks like the one it came back with is staying on though!