Texas Mile Numbers

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Stock rubber? Impressive.

No Chris, I think I was the only idiot out there on stock rubber.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
did any of the ford GT's at this event that were going faster than 190 mph have roll bars or roll cages?

Last edited:

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
did any of the ford GT's at this event have roll bars or roll cages?

No. Jason Heffner told me that they had convinced the event organizers to waive the rollcage requirement for our cars. They convinced them that the roof supports on GTs are strong enough to survive a rollover. I hope nobody ever has to test that.

The Texas Mile is now probably the only event in the country where you can run 200 plus without a cage and not be disqualified.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Maybe the next Rally in TX, during one of the Texas Mile events!

:thumbsup

Heffner Performance

*Supporting Vendor*
Supporting Vendor
Feb 22, 2006
The Texas Mile group put on a great event this weekend. This was our first attempt at one mile racing and like most things it's a little harder that what you might think to run the big numbers. The GT community was well represented with three whipple powered cars and one of our twin turbo cars, all beautiful specimens. We'll be getting ready for the March event over the next few months and hopefully we'll go a bit faster next time out.

Keith, it was a pleasure to meet you and your family this weekend. We'll seee if we can come up with a plan to get you over 200 next time out.

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
Texas,
I think the tires would help your car get your 200mph pass. You have to figure, in the race to 100 mph, the other cars are probably kickin your ass in terms of the distance it takes to get there. Just like a bike whupping a fast car from a dig that turns the same mph.

You're only talking 8 mph over the course of 5280 feet. A headwind, an extra 10* of temp, an extra couple hundred feet of spinning tires...all that can easily knock you several mph down.

Next time!

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Yeah, tires, a 23 lb pulley and a C16 tune! I ain't takin' no chances! I'm getting tired of driving 800 miles roundtrip with two vehicles and not making my goal!:lol

I got my new trailer today so I'll be able to set it up in advance with the tires and fuel. That'll make it much easier.:cheers

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
First of all, a BIG BIG THANKS to Jason Heffner for building me this car. It is simply amazing. :cheers

Another BIG BIG THANKS to my friend, Gary Javo, for driving the car... his skills are unmatched :cheers

Texas, it was great meeting you and your family at the event. Your car looked beautiful and sounded great. Look forward to seeing you in the spring breaking that 200! :biggrin

DBK and Bony had their special spies setup in the tall trees taking spy photos and had the information before we did :willy

All in all, it was a great event.

Like John has mentioned, the GT community was represented very well with many beautiful cars and some great runs. I can tell you that NOTHING sounded as good as these GTs at full throttle crossing the mile. I had my trailer set up at the end of the mile and it was the best seat in the house. Imagine the best Winston Cup car at 200 wound out and then make it better and that is what we had the pleasure of listening to. :thumbsup

I am putting together a complete story of the event with Gary Javo and hope to post it up this week with some killer vids and pictures displaying the event but for now I will put in a few more details...

our first run as a shakedown pass (we missed the drive through on the track so did not know what to expect) was a 215 mph run... plenty of room to shut down with the GT's awesome brakes so turn it up a little :biggrin

By the time we were able to run again it was late afternoon... 222.24 MPH!!! :banana

time to turn it up some more and get ready for a first morning run.

Having the car on the starting line 2nd the next morning, we ended up having to wait for the fog to lift it was so humid... but 15 degrees cooler!

Gary launched the car perfectly and this was the PASS! The car turned up with the cooler weather came alive... maybe too much... with the wet track the car broke lose in second gear and drifted onto a painted stripe which sent the car out of control and into the weeds. Thankfully, Gary kept his cool and was able to save the car becoming the most expensive lawnmower in history... pulling the car back onto the track we checked it out at the trailer with absolutely no damage.

We cleaned it back up and decided to make another shakedown pass on low boost to see if everything felt ok and ripped off a second 222 mph run.... shakedown pass :willy

Knowing that the GT was ok we focused the rest of the afternoon on Gary's car as he had been busy driving mine. We had some issues with his brakes and ended up trying to sort them out for the rest of the afternoon and were not able to make another run.

All in all it was a great event and we showed what the GT is capable of, in my mind the most amazing car ever built. Of the three cars that broke 220 mph, one was a full viper race car purpose built for land speed racing, one was a Supra with a chute, roll cage, and slightly gutted interior,

and then there was our street twin turbo GT :biggrin :biggrin

Kudos to the other cars for some amazing runs..

Definitely amazing for the GT community!

As far as the 190 mph restriction, I spoke with the organizers of the event at length who worked with Ford and Rousch last year. Basically they have a special waiver for the GT which absolves themselves and Ford which allows us to race. The GT, having the highest crush rating for a production car, is awarded this special waiver...

Having a rally at the spring event would be awesome... bring lots of painters tape because the racestrip has lotsa rocks :(

Look for a full post focused on the event later in the week and great meeting some of the other GT owners.

Loved the Gulf GT40 original replica... stunning!!!

Last edited:

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Great report Ray. And Texas you all made us proud:thumbsup

But my favorit line was.......I'm getting tired of driving 800 miles roundtrip with two vehicles and not making my goal!

You see not being from TX we all need to let a statement like that sink in for a minute......you guys need to declare a state that big a "country"

TEXAS GT

2006 Twin Turbo
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter

But my favorit line was.......I'm getting tired of driving 800 miles roundtrip with two vehicles and not making my goal!

You see not being from TX we all need to let a statement like that sink in for a minute......you guys need to declare a state that big a "country"

We have....haven't you heard of The Republic of Texas?

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX

I live in the Austin area. El Paso is over halfway to LA for me. (over 600 miles). Beaumont is about 280.

Rally III including the Texas Mile would be the best. John H. How far is the track in Sealy from Goliad? We could do a triangle. Hill Country, Texas Mile then track.

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Nice link:
http://www.garyjavo.com/2007texasmile.htm
That spin must have been scary. 222 mph! In the recent R&T article:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=5676
The Veyron hit 204.4 mph in the mile and the Hennessey Viper hit 220.9, but the Veyron was a 1/10 sec quicker 25.9 vs. 26 sec). Wonder how long it took the Ford GT to hit 1 mile?:banana

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
Should find out next month on the news stands :biggrin :biggrin

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Jayzus...
Your worse than the 'entertainers' at Scores, Jaguar, Crazy Horse and Cheetah in Vegas... They all told me to return next month...

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
HAHAHAHAHA

When???? :biggrin

We have been sworn to secrecy :biggrin

I can say that DBK and I figured out that we can go 0 - 200 - 0 in the GT, get out and wave as the Veyron goes by :banana :banana :banana

dbk

The Favor Factory™
Staff member
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 30, 2005
Metro Detroit
I can say that DBK and I figured out that we can go 0 - 200 - 0 in the GT, get out and wave as the Veyron goes by :banana :banana :banana

Maybe not get out and wave (because of the awkward doors), but definitely roll down the window and wave while dead stopped :lol