Test Drive a GT

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Like alot of new potential GT buyers I have been lurking around your site to gather info. Like other potential buyers I wanted to drive a GT to see if it's as good as the say. We'll I want to share the greatest car guy experience a guy could have. I saw an add in one of the car mags from a company called World Class Driving. You can check it out at www.wcdriving .com . At first this sounded like a scam because it was just to good to be true. On Sat. May 13th in Miami I got to drive the following cars :Aston Martin DB9, Bently GT , 06 Corvette Z06 , Ford GT , Ferrari F 430 And the Lamborghini Gallardo. It was well worth the price and then some.
Most of the people that attended could never afford to have one of these cars. For me I've been kicking the tires of the Gallardo and seriously looking at the GT. As some of you have found most of the Ford dealers won't even let you sit in one, I got to drive the GT solo and was able to push it somewhat. This was a great way to drive the best of the best and compare cars back to back. This is great way to compare the cars because the experience is fresh in your mind not days or weeks later if you tried to do this through dealers. The only way it could have been better was if they had a Viper SRT 10 Coupe. That's another car that's on my list. While I could write volumes on the day and each car I can Honestly say the Ford GT is the "One!!" The Z06 is no slouch and if had a more dramatic visual effect it would be a tough choice. The ride of the GT is not as harh as the Z06. I'm not Biased but the two American Iron V8 hot rods were a blast to drive. Driving the Ferrari F430 was a great bonus experience for me. The high pitched 8 Cyld sounds neat but I prefer the knarly V8 of the GT or the Z06 , the paddle shifters worked fine but they do not make you feel as connected as you do shifting the manual 6 spd of the Ford GT or the Z06.
Anyway you guys have a great site here. I'm in Ft. Laud. FL and i know there is a good group of GT owners in the Miami / Broward area. I hope to be joining you as an owner later in the year. If you own a GT over any of the cars listed above you made the right choice !!! :thumbsup

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
I might have to take a trip down there then !!1 :eek :willy

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
I'm not sure where you live but they are traveling around to just about every major city so you may want to check their site for other locations. They will be back in Miami at the end of July if I'm not mistaken???

Cyclenirvana

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 7, 2006
Winston-Salem, NC
Thanks for the thoughts. I wholeheartedly agree. I like to think that I was totally unbiased prior to my recent GT purchase. It took 4 months to make a decision...I test drove the Ford GT twice at 2 different dealerships, a 2006 Lambo Gallardo twice, a Ferrari 360 spider, and a ZO6 (all at various dealerships in North Carolina). All were great cars...but I was always the most passionate about the Ford GT. Oddly enough, despite poor visibility (although much better than the Gallardo), the Ford was the easiest to drive.

ENZO BTR

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 11, 2005
Southern California
I've driven all the cars you mentioned, plus the new Viper Coupe, a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, a Carrera GT and (this week) a BMW M6. I've driven them all on tracks as well as public roads. All great cars...but the GT is the best one. It's not that the GT has them all beat in every area (except looks, but that's just my opinion and can't be validated). The steering is better in the F430, the interior design/quality is better in the Gallardo, the Carrera GT is far more advanced in design and materials and I personally think the Z06's engine is one of the best ones on the planet in terms of power delivery and sound (there really is no replacement for displacement).

But the GT is just a shade behind each of those cars in their respective strong suits, and it's better than each of them in most of the other areas. Plus the car's heritage, price and overall ease of use on a daily basis just makes it the "ONE!" Of course I may be biased, but it's not like I haven't had full exposure to plenty of other great cars and I truly have tried to take an open mind appraoch when driving them.

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
ENZO BTR said:
I've driven all the cars you mentioned, plus the new Viper Coupe, a Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, a Carrera GT and (this week) a BMW M6. I've driven them all on tracks as well as public roads. All great cars...but the GT is the best one. It's not that the GT has them all beat in every area (except looks, but that's just my opinion and can't be validated). The steering is better in the F430, the interior design/quality is better in the Gallardo, the Carrera GT is far more advanced in design and materials and I personally think the Z06's engine is one of the best ones on the planet in terms of power delivery and sound (there really is no replacement for displacement).

But the GT is just a shade behind each of those cars in their respective strong suits, and it's better than each of them in most of the other areas. Plus the car's heritage, price and overall ease of use on a daily basis just makes it the "ONE!" Of course I may be biased, but it's not like I haven't had full exposure to plenty of other great cars and I truly have tried to take an open mind appraoch when driving them.

Could not agree with you more, I am passing on the Z06 that I have had on order for more than a year, just lost my fire in the belly to own one. I am thrilled with my GT, as are most of us.

92NSX

Mar 22, 2006
I'm in Jacksonville, FL

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
92 NSX,
I just checked the website for a friend of mine. It looks like they're in Tampa July 28th and Miami July 29. They book up pretty quick. On our day there were 4 groups of six for a total of 24 people. If you do decied to go I would recommend being in the first group. It starts early but we found that they first group was able to run some of the cars while the Miami traffic was light. The people in the later groups fought the traffic all day. I went solo and only rode with an employee one time. The rest of the time I had the cars to myself to run at will. I would recomend taking a guest for a couple of reasons . One ,you will be assured that you will only have to drive with a company employee once, two, It's really a great experience to share with someone and if you have a camcorder they can be the videoographer / photographer..