Tech Challenged...What is better, LCD or Plasma???

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
My old big screen just decided to request early retirement. Rather than pay a $500 repair bill I decided to look at new ones. I am totally tech challenged. So the question is what is a better buy....LCD or Plasma. Any and all opinions welcome. :cheers

Superfly

HERITAGE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 23, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta
Ah, a pet fave topic!

How big of a TV? I like LCD's better, IF you're at a constant viewing angle. If the TV is being watched from everywhere and anywhere, then Plasma's the way to go. Also, with Plasma, $ for $ you can get a bigger screen. And for sports, assuming you're getting a good TV, again, Plasma will have less artifacting.

OTOH, blacks can look better on LCD's (assuming you're not looking at the Pioneer Elite series of Plasma's which are truly outstanding!!).

If you're on a budget (yeah right), I'd get a plasma. If the "Sky" :wink is the limit, then get a BIG LCD.

I've heard (but don't know) that the LCD lifespan is longer, but given the pace of technology now, you might be better off considering that these will all be outdated in two years.

Oh, the Samsung (and a few others) have 120Hz technology, which is great if you're watching sports (ESPECIALLY Sid the Kid playing Hockey! :thumbsup)

Oh, I should add that while I have an LCD TV, if I was buying right now, I'd be hard pressed not to get a Samsung Plasma, and those Sony's are pretty dang nice too!!!

All of which is respectfully submitted.

Last edited:

HiloDave

GT Obsessed
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 7, 2005
Hilo, Hawaii
I got a plasma because of the viewing angle advantage. We tend to watch it from the kitchen in the AM and the living room in the PM.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Interesting info.... Thanks.

I have/had a 63' Toshiba projection HD that lasted me about 6 and a half years. It is a big sucker :eek and takes up a lot of space so I will be glad to get a flat screen TV from that aspect and I imagine either choice is going to be a big step up in the picture area.

Okay, understanding that all is outdated shortly after purchase, did you guys get the extended warranty or are these fairly reliable. I am happy with the amount of time my last one lived. Of course removing it from the house will require a small crane.

Also, Install yourself or have it installed?? :cheers

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Extended warranties are only good for the company selling them. If it was to your advantage, they would not sell them. This is just a friendly piece of advise from someone that SHOULD be telling you the other way around. I AM a CAR DEALER! :)

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Extended warranties are only good for the company selling them. If it was to your advantage, they would not sell them. This is just a friendly piece of advise from someone that SHOULD be telling you the other way around. I AM a CAR DEALER! :)

Keep up all this great advice Shelby and I am going to be compelled to buy my next fun car from you!!! :thumbsup :cheers

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Just telling it like it is.

kmillen

Jan 29, 2007
I just purchased a 32" plasma for my bedroom. I got a great deal from Best Buy on an "open box" unit. I actually lucked out and the sales rep. didn't notice the brand new TV sitting on the shelf. I ended up getting a brand new system for $180.00 off retail.

I chose the plasma because of the viewing angles. My understanding is that LCD's offer more "brighter" color's than plasma TV's but they also seem to cost significantly more. My eyes couldn't tell any major differences but my wallet did...

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
get a LCD with LED backlighting. Dark colors are bolder and "sharper". I have a Samsung 52inch one of these. Could not be happier.

LCD's and plasmas have a lifespan for good colors. When the plasma colors get dull you throw it away. LCD's can be renewed with a $500 or so part.

centerpunch

ex-GT owner x2
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 16, 2005
OH/NC
If it's for a big room, go big. I love my 73" Mitsubishi DLP, cost about $2500 a year ago, I'm sure they're cheaper now.

73" has literally twice the screen area of a 52".

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Plasmas have breakdown problems at altitudes higher than 6,000'.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Skyrex, go to cnet.com and look at their ratings and advice. They are up to date on most models. While I like Consumers Reports, the models they test are usuallu dated, and cnet is right with it. Panasonic and Pioneer seem to lead the pack. Prices are much cheaper compared to just a few years ago. I'd also wait till after Xmas.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
I agree, go as big as you can fit in the space.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
If you have the space go projection.
Specracer I believe has some knowledge on the subject

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Yeah I have an opinion. I will second this opinion from above:

"assuming you're not looking at the Pioneer Elite series of Plasma's which are truly outstanding!!)."

These really are hands down the best!

I am in the AV biz, and I kind of lean to the thought, that ALL name brand sets, have come so far, and are all really quite good, that unless it is a pioneer, you will probably AOK.

A few things NOT to get hung up on. Assuming we are talking about 50" and smaller, and you are going to be sitting more than 8' back, do not get wrapped up as to if it is 1080 or not 720, in a smaller set will likely give you a better picture, because the video processor does not have to work as hard to up convert to 1080.

We could go back and forth ALL day on 1080, refresh rate, back lighting technology, BUT I strongly believe that Plasma yields a better PICTURE, looking at the color rendering, black levels, etc. Panasonic also makes a good set if pioneer does not have the size or price that you need.

As for service life, on average, the all of the sets are going to likely last longer than you are going to want to have it. 60,000+ hour service life.

As Shelby commented, skip the warranty, Elites come with a 2 year warranty out of the box (regular Pioneer has 1 year). Sets are relatively inexpensive these days (compared to years past) so if god forbid you do have an issue, it is not as painful, as if you were an early adopter, and paid 25k for the Pioneer a while ago.

Last thought, as with ANYTHING in life you get what you pay for. TV are so brutally competitive, that there is a reason one cost more than another. and that is that it is better. There are better sub straights used, the video processing is better, etc.

This has to be my longest post ever....... Sorry.....

If you have the space go projection.
Specracer I believe has some knowledge on the subject

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Sharp Aquos

Cobrar

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 24, 2006
Metro Detroit
We could go back and forth ALL day on 1080, refresh rate, back lighting technology, BUT I strongly believe that Plasma yields a better PICTURE, looking at the color rendering, black levels, etc. Panasonic also makes a good set if pioneer does not have the size or price that you need. .

Could you please illuminate on the effect of the 'refresh rate' you mentioned e.g. 120Hz vs. ?. Baseline on a 50" or 52" LCD and type of viewing e.g. sports programming and/or Blu ray disk viewing - if it matters.

Thx.

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
recently ditched sat. and went to Apple TV (itunes) and two large LCD's. Plenty of bargains out there and the ability to watch what I want when I want is awesome!

LCD does not burn in like plasma for monitor usage.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Yeah I have an opinion. I will second this opinion from above:

"assuming you're not looking at the Pioneer Elite series of Plasma's which are truly outstanding!!)."

These really are hands down the best!

I am in the AV biz, and I kind of lean to the thought, that ALL name brand sets, have come so far, and are all really quite good, that unless it is a pioneer, you will probably AOK.

A few things NOT to get hung up on. Assuming we are talking about 50" and smaller, and you are going to be sitting more than 8' back, do not get wrapped up as to if it is 1080 or not 720, in a smaller set will likely give you a better picture, because the video processor does not have to work as hard to up convert to 1080.

We could go back and forth ALL day on 1080, refresh rate, back lighting technology, BUT I strongly believe that Plasma yields a better PICTURE, looking at the color rendering, black levels, etc. Panasonic also makes a good set if pioneer does not have the size or price that you need.

As for service life, on average, the all of the sets are going to likely last longer than you are going to want to have it. 60,000+ hour service life.

As Shelby commented, skip the warranty, Elites come with a 2 year warranty out of the box (regular Pioneer has 1 year). Sets are relatively inexpensive these days (compared to years past) so if god forbid you do have an issue, it is not as painful, as if you were an early adopter, and paid 25k for the Pioneer a while ago.

Last thought, as with ANYTHING in life you get what you pay for. TV are so brutally competitive, that there is a reason one cost more than another. and that is that it is better. There are better sub straights used, the video processing is better, etc.

This has to be my longest post ever....... Sorry.....

Thanks to everyone for their opinion. Spec....great post. Thanks for the length and the details. I ordered a Samsung Plasma that will be delivered late next week or early the following week.

Now I have to deal with a 13' temporary TV in my main living room until the new one arrives. :frown

:cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Plasmas eat babies.

I might have made that up.

I have an Hitachi LCD which is great.