Taping for my First Track day.....

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
…..and I may be a bit paranoid and overdoing the taping a bit. But can you be too paranoid when it comes to your baby???? :lol

I think I have turned my Tungsten GT into the 3M GT. I don’t have a clear bra so I wanted to protect the car as much as possible. Anyway, when I finished today the wife and I had a good laugh about how the car looked so I decided to share the humor with the group. Enjoy. :cheers

On a serious note, if I underdid the taping (not likely), feel free to give advice. And before someone points out the obvious I am driving over in the early am and need the headlights, so I will do them when I get there.

Attachments

• IMG_2062.jpg
    IMG_2062.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2058.jpg
    IMG_2058.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_2060.jpg
    IMG_2060.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_2059.jpg
    IMG_2059.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 334
H

HHGT

I would do the whole thing in Blue 3M tape and accent it with Orange...:lol:lol

Just kidding. Have fun.......

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
From the look of your taped-mobile, you must have been the SLOWEST car in the group today with all the added weight!!:eek:rofl

Great taping job! It most looks like a professional job. Tell us all the detail of today, for those of us who couldn't make it.

GTED

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Wow, you use more blue tape than even Shadowman! :lol

I think it will give you great protection on the track.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Ya left th' whole darn RADIATOR exposed!!!!! Ya don't wanna take a rock hit THERE, do ya?!:rofl

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Ya left th' whole darn RADIATOR exposed!!!!! Ya don't wanna take a rock hit THERE, do ya?!:rofl

I always had the same concern with the 06 "grille."

Of course that you never gave it a thought, since rocks just don't fly into your garage.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Of course that you never gave it a thought, since rocks just don't fly into your garage.

Yeeeeeeeeew mizzerbull............................:mad:mad:mad

(And I have those sentiments even though the 1st 1/2 of your sentence made no sense whatsoever! Imagine how ticked I'da been if it HAD!:rofl:rofl:rofl)

Last edited:

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Darn, and I shorted 3M, had I known I would have gone long.
Have a great day. :)

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
There is a company called SPEEDLINE lingerie,that makes a truly awesome bra for the GT .It looks so good you can't tell its even on your gal !! Great to use for track events .
www.speedlingerie.com
No affiliation.

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
how about the headlights?, you wount need them on the track:lol

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Try a clear bra. and I would also look into the clear temp windshield protection, that is where a lot of debris ends up

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California

Seriously, protect those lights.

Reactions: skyrex

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
Here is a small clip on MIllers - Sorry for the sound, it is an older camera that I had. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aw_d4siNP54

HTML:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aw_d4siNP54&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aw_d4siNP54&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
There is a company called SPEEDLINE lingerie,that makes a truly awesome bra for the GT .It looks so good you can't tell its even on your gal !! Great to use for track events .
www.speedlingerie.com
No affiliation.

Thanks for the tip. I have read other posts about the speedlingerie and everyone seems to love it. I am trying to figure out if this is a one time thing or if I will want to do it again. I will know after tomorrow. :cheers

I mentioned on my first post with the pics that I am driving over tomorrow morning in the dark and need the headlights :wink , but as soon as I get there the tape is going over the lights. Those things are expensive!!! :eek

Thanks to everyone for the comments and tips. Admittedly a little nervous, but definitely looking forward to the Big track. :cheers

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
I think you nailed just about everything, however I know that I also pick up debris on the deep air flow portions of the front trunk lid when hitting the track.
Have fun, be safe!:thumbsup

Reactions: skyrex

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
Clear Bra vs Blue Tape

I wrap most of the areas you did but have it done with clear film. I have it replaced from time to time. I loved your photos though - that's a lot of blue tape!

Ed

Indy GT

Yea, I got one...too
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 14, 2006
Greenwood, IN
Surface Film Protection

I too am contemplating an upcoming track event and want to protect the exposed surfaces. I can duplicate the same taping configuration as skyrex presents in post one but would like to use some other adhesive film.

Frequently you see new cars on semi car carriers with strategic areas covered with a white film. When the car is prepped at the dealer for new car delivery all this film is removed. I helped remove similar surface protection film from the exterior of my GT upon delivery.

At my last track event one of the Porsche participants offered me his roll of white film for my car. It was about 24" in length on a roll. The adhesive is not too sticky and thus not too difficult to remove. This film protection is temporary in nature and not intended for permanent use. I am aware of the transparent 3M nose film which is more permanent. I do not want to use this product. I am looking for the white (or other color) temporary film.

Does anyone know where to obtain such a film we could use for track events to protect the at-risk surfaces of our cars from stone chips?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Does anyone know where to obtain such a film we could use for track events to protect the at-risk surfaces of our cars from stone chips?

Indy, a car buddy of mine works for 3M. I have a call into him to ask for you.

Not 4N

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
Calgary AB
I stock this film in 48" x 100yd rolls and use it to protect our printed graphic panels during shipping. This is the same material on new cars except I use clear instead of white(also available in blue for Skyrex:biggrin).

It is available in a wide range of adhesion levels and the stuff I use is very low tack and would work well to protect the nose, especially if it is doubled up.

I can slit the rolls down to any size and have one of my machines spool off any length desired.

I will check my stock and if we can get some input on preferred sizes I can put some pricing together.

:cheers
Trent

930man

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 15, 2008
i should bought some 3m stock... let me know next time you go to track...!!!! lol ;)