Tampa Florida area service techs? costs??

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
I am going to send my car in to get all the fluids, belts, etc changed. I figured I should let Ford do it the first time, since the indy shops I know of do not see alot of GTs. My questions are......

1. Does anyone know of a Tampa area Ford dealer with GT certified techs? I know Veterans Ford has a few, but I have never dealt with them.

2. does anyone know of an indy shop in the Tampa area that they have used and trust?

3. What can I expect to pay for a routine service consisting of replacing all fluids, belts, and giving it a once-over? I googled it and got numbers ranging from $400 bucks to over 3 grand lol

Thanks......

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
A fuel filter will be $100, belt about $80, oil depends on where you buy it but maybe $10 a quart, dot 4 brake fluid for brakes and clutch $30 or so, transmission fluid a couple hundred, check that half-shaft bolts are in proper order. You are looking at several thousand just for parts and fluids plus labor. Maybe check alignment. A/C check. Sorry I can't recommend a service place. You might send Sinovac a PM. He may know a place.

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
Rick at Sarasota Ford is very good (Sinovac approved). Certified for FGT and NFGT. Extremely thorough and clean. Rick is Sarasota Ford's Master Tech so they keep him very busy. If you decide to go there start negotiating for an appointment soon. Prepare yourself for dealer prices.

Reactions: MartynL

Sinovac

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 18, 2006
Largo, Florida
^what he said

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Heffner in Sarasota.
Not far!

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
I appreciate the info guys. Anyone ever used Veterans Ford? They claim they have 2 GT certified techs.......

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Make sure they do not mean mustang gt

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Just reach out to Rich at The GT Guys. Quality of service, knowledge of the car, service packages that cover all items and knowledge of the cars make it worth the expense of sending it to him.

I have had friends who worked with Rick as well though, but dealer pricing and scheduling can be a problem there.

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Just reach out to Rich at The GT Guys. Quality of service, knowledge of the car, service packages that cover all items and knowledge of the cars make it worth the expense of sending it to him.

I have had friends who worked with Rick as well though, but dealer pricing and scheduling can be a problem there.
Do you know where are they located? Thanks.....

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
In Detroit. But he will sometimes travel. With the Woodward Dream Cruise party coming up, I think he's probably tied up for the next month or more.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Rich is good but you've got another 6k to ship. Mine was going right by his place so it was a no brainer. In face he picked it up from the orig owner and took it to his shop for the first leg

And the service will be closer to 3k if not more

Redfire03

GT Owner
Dec 8, 2020
Denver, CO
Shipping a car that distance should be about half that cost... around 3-4k roundtrip - that is for enclosed too. Shipped multiple cars from Florida, etc. across the country in the last 12 months. Rich also has a relationship with Reliable and can help facilitate shipping.

On a car of this value and this age it is almost priceless to have the tailored service that he provides. He is able to get parts, has out of stock parts on the shelf, etc.

The service package is more complete and extensive than any dealer is going to be able to provide. PLUS you are supporting someone who is actively supporting this car and community.

Kiteboarder Ken

GT Owner
Jun 25, 2020
Tampa Florida
Rick down in Sarasota has worked on both my 05 and 2020 GTs. He is very good and knowledgeable. It is however, kind of a drive from Tampa. I doubt Veteran's has a GT certified mechanic unless they have been added very recently. Ford sent Rick to my house in Tampa to change the airbag because I didn't want to drive it down there and at that time, a few years ago, he was the closest certified GT mechanic from Tampa. I also had a battery issue with the 2020 and they sent him up to pick the car up with that fancy trailer and returned it all under warranty. I doubt they would have done so if there was an alternative only 10 miles from my house. This was at the beginning of June.
I change the oil in the 05 myself- you are welcome to use my lift if you want. Not that big of a deal to do the job. I would be leery of an independent unless he has had previous experience working on a GT as he will for sure put the lift at the wrong spots and dent the belly pans.
(SORRY! I mean, "He" or "She" or "They" or "It" or whatever other pronoun is appropriate)

HNS

GT Owner
Mar 11, 2020
East Coast
Rick down in Sarasota has worked on both my 05 and 2020 GTs. He is very good and knowledgeable. It is however, kind of a drive from Tampa. I doubt Veteran's has a GT certified mechanic unless they have been added very recently. Ford sent Rick to my house in Tampa to change the airbag because I didn't want to drive it down there and at that time, a few years ago, he was the closest certified GT mechanic from Tampa. I also had a battery issue with the 2020 and they sent him up to pick the car up with that fancy trailer and returned it all under warranty. I doubt they would have done so if there was an alternative only 10 miles from my house. This was at the beginning of June.
I change the oil in the 05 myself- you are welcome to use my lift if you want. Not that big of a deal to do the job. I would be leery of an independent unless he has had previous experience working on a GT as he will for sure put the lift at the wrong spots and dent the belly pans.
(SORRY! I mean, "He" or "She" or "They" or "It" or whatever other pronoun is appropriate)
Nice offer! I wish you were my neighbor!

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Veterans Ford "claims" they have 2 GT certified techs, but who knows what to believe. I reached out to Sarasota Ford for Rick, and they told me its 4 to5 weeks out to make an appointment. I may just have to wait it out.....

Howard

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 26, 2007
Florida/North Jersey
For a no-worry, high quality FGT servine Rick is worth the wait. Use the time to start saving loose change.

onepunch

GT Owner
Apr 17, 2023
Just to follow up, I had the service done with Rick at Sarasota Ford (although the billing and everything was 707 Motorsports, or something like that)

Anyways, I was happy with everything. He recommended a few other things in addition to the fluids, belts, etc, such as an oil pump, and shock replacement (2 had slight seepage so I replaced all 4). Also had the frunk and clamshell struts replaced.

It wasnt cheap, but the peace of mind is definitely worth it. :)