Talk with the GT folks about the Axle bolts?????

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
I did not get to go to the rally. Did anybody discuss the axle bolt problems with the GT team? Piccola told me she heard nothing about it. Anyone else? Thanks, KP :frown

escman

GT Owner
Nov 16, 2005
Long Island, NY
Our guide at Wixom was a service and warrantee super. When I questioned him about the half shaft bolts he told me that they had about 10 failures on 05's and 2 on 06's. He did not seem overly concerned at the failure rate, but he did understand that it was quite a cluster!@#% when it ocurrs.

stevo

GT Owner
May 22, 2006
Monaco
axle bolts

Yes I had the same problem on my '05 GT. Bolts and plate made of tender steel. The poblem has been corrected on the '06 GT. Thanks to Ford to ost an advice !

SuperB

Board of Directors/Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 8, 2006
South Florida
The conversation I overheard was that less than 10 had failures and that all the failures were track driven cars. But then I wasn't really paying that close of attention. I do remember the tech saying that broken bolts would only result in total loss of power and not Catastrophic failure since the axel can not come loose from the power train. Thought he even said it could be pushed in by hand and driven a few miles home or to a dealer.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Unfortunatly it is NOT just tracked cars, as I have not had my car on a track yet. My issue was about 900 miles. BUT what I did notice, is that in the drivetrain that was sitting there ready to go into a car, the retaining washer was black, which is the revised piece (I saw the one that came out of my car and it was "raw" steel in color). I think that that assembly is done @ Ricardo (I will have to check my pix to be sure).

Unfortunatly I did not get a chance to discuss this with any of the techs.

barondw

GT Owner
Sep 8, 2005
I agree with Specracer it is not limited to "track cars' based on information provided by Ford.

dbtgt

One lucky SOB to own a GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Jan 4, 2006
Tulsa, Oklahoma
K-P Garage said:
I did not get to go to the rally. Did anybody discuss the axle bolt problems with the GT team? Piccola told me she heard nothing about it. Anyone else? Thanks, KP :frown
I did discuss it with one of the engineers on the design team and he indicated that Ford was looking into and researching this issue and that we would likely hear something in the future from them. He was reluctant to talk about it while their inquiry was going on and certainly didn't want to go on record with a statement. He said that the issue had been delt with very early on in the development of the car and that untill a few weeks ago they thought the problem was resolved and behind them. Very interesting! Based on his response to me, I personally speculate that there are some meaningful discussions going on between Ford and Ricardo IMHO.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
There are , we had about 15 of us after the big friday nite bash , hang around and shoot the breeze. Dont hold me to it but a locking wire bolt kit for the 2 bolts and the 6 stretch bolts are on the table, AND A WIRE FOR THE END LUG BOLT ,WHEN YOU POP THE CENTER CAP OFF. Really the 2 washers are the real fix but to be safe i hear they are looking into all of it. p.s. this really wasnt a track car problem , but a down the line tolerence ,torquing problem in a certain sequence. gtjoey1314 :thumbsup

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Thanks!!

Thanks, that is great info.. Will wait to hear more. KP

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Here's what I got. I talked to the senior engineers for several hours, at Saleen, Ford and Wixom (names withheld to protect the innocent). Yes, there is a known problem. There are, so far, only a few cars that have been affected. They can pinpoint the possibly affected cars by VIN (late '05, early '06) based on their statistics and info from Ricardo; yes it is the washers, also, the bolts HAVE to be equally torqued from each side. This is part of the problem, that both sides (each half shaft) were not equally torqued, causing one side to push the other out. YOU CAN WATCH OUT FOR THIS. The bolts on the outside of the shafts are marked with paint. Watch these paint marks for movement. I checked mine immediately. They are pink on my car. You can see them from the top side of the engine, but maybe not all of them. Currently there is no other recourse.
I have all kinds of info for myth busters, but I'm still too busy at work and too tired from Deaborn to catch up here. Give me some time.

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I also discussed the problem with the "tech" at wixom. All 2005 are affected and some 2006 cars. They actually know which 2006's are affected by the VIN #s!! He stated they would answer inquiries. It appears the washer under the 2 bolts was not "heat treated" and therefore "soft" therefore explains the "newlook" to the faulty washer versus the bluish tint to the heat treated washer. It is probly more likly to fail in tracked cars and higher milage cars due to more use. I emailed the US representative at ricardo but not heard back yet, I asked the tech at Wixom for extra washer and bolts but he referred me to Ricardo. A GT participant was able to get corrected washer and bolt at Saleen? I am not to happy to think about losing drive on a long trip!!

analogdesigner

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 15, 2005
San Clemente, CA USA
Analysis of this problem...

I am doing an extreme analysis of this problem. I have already received and sent the fasteners and retaining plate out for analysis to a quality lab. One minor concern that I had was the huge market in counterfeit fasteners (remember, NASA's space shuttle is full of them). So far, the replacement kits that I have purchased have tested out fine. At this point I must believe that incorrect assembly procedures are the result of these few failures.

By the way, I am going to replace mine using parts that are certified by myself.

Much more to come...

Jay
www.gtsaver.com

Last edited:

Ecnal

GT Owner
Aug 14, 2006
Missouri
Gene Cassone said:
All 2005 are affected and some 2006 cars. They actually know which 2006's are affected by the VIN #s!! He stated they would answer inquiries.

Who do we talk to to see if our VIN is an affected one?

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
I suggest trying to contract directly someone at the Wixom plant. They were willing to check serial #s on the day of the tour.

rsilverman

GT Owner
Mar 25, 2006
new jersey
How do you actually call the Wixom plant. Is there a number or address?
Rob

rickisapilot

GT Owner
May 11, 2006
Gene Cassone said:
I also discussed the problem with the "tech" at wixom. All 2005 are affected and some 2006 cars. They actually know which 2006's are affected by the VIN #s!! He stated they would answer inquiries. It appears the washer under the 2 bolts was not "heat treated" and therefore "soft" therefore explains the "newlook" to the faulty washer versus the bluish tint to the heat treated washer. It is probly more likly to fail in tracked cars and higher milage cars due to more use. I emailed the US representative at ricardo but not heard back yet, I asked the tech at Wixom for extra washer and bolts but he referred me to Ricardo. A GT participant was able to get corrected washer and bolt at Saleen? I am not to happy to think about losing drive on a long trip!!

So, they actually did a FIX/change on the production? The newer VINs will have the hardened washers? Does anyone have the appropriate contact phone number at Wixom plant?

sharp33

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 19, 2006
Rochester, NY
Gene Cassone said:
I also discussed the problem with the "tech" at wixom. All 2005 are affected and some 2006 cars. They actually know which 2006's are affected by the VIN #s!! QUOTE]

Hi Gene.Great meeting you. If Ford knows it is all 2005 and certain 2006 cars, Did you ask why they are not doing a recall or at least contacting owners directly?

lthlvpr

GT Owner
Mar 8, 2006
I spoke with a few guys at the rally and concur with most of what has been said:
1) They know about the problem.
2) It is NOT limited to certain VIN#s or model years. They don't have a good enough grasp on the cause and have seen it in 05s and 06s.
3) Likely due to washers and bolt torque done during assembly so even if you have upgraded washers doesn't mean you are in the clear.
4) There is someone who has made hardened bolts, drilled and tapped for wire along with hardened washers. They are going to offer it as a kit. It's a shame that Ford won't take a stand and offer it to any customer interested in the upgrade. I guess it will take a few more failures before they feel pressured to take action.

Last edited:

Derry

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 5, 2006
buffalo, NY
I am going to be tracking the car for 3 days in Early October so I am concerned about this issue. I called our GT help line at Ford and explained my concern. After a day of investigation they just called to tell me all the 06's have heat treated washers. I don't think that is correct based on what some on this forum have heard, sounds like our help line may not be very helpful?

Derry

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Picture of washer

Here is a pix of the hardened washer I got @ Wixom, these come out of the box like this from Ricardo, the techs @ Wixom attach the half shaft to this cup

Attachments

• Axle output shaft.jpg
    Axle output shaft.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 343