Tales of Trailex Trailer Tire Troubles, Tribulations and Tears

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Xcentric. Perhaps it makes sense to upgrade to a 15".
Normally the trailer places have deals on wheel tire cOmbibations.
In fact,..one time trying to buy a wheel (only) they told me they come as a package,... Had to get the tire.
That's the one rated to/at 80psi
Not possible. OEM wheel/tire is max.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I bought my trailer tires at a local Discount Tire store here in Washington. The store did not recommend Goodyear - they recommended Carlisle (load range C and speed rated to 87 MPH).

The Carlisle ST 205-75R/14 LR C I bought at Discount Tire does not have an "N" (87 mph) speed rating.

Everything I have read says all ST tires are 65 mph max at their max recommended pressure.

Where did you get the 87 mph info?

Last edited:

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
The Carlisle ST 205-75R/14 LR C I bought at Discount Tire does not have an "N" (87 mph) speed rating.

Everything I have read says all ST tires are 65 mph max at their max recommended pressure.

Where did you get the 87 mph info?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/ti...bmitProductSize.do?r=WASINT|pc|98383&pc=10403

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I don't believe it. Although, it's on the Internet so it must be true. ;)

Magic

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 13, 2010
Fredericksburg, TX
Going out to Rally IX (LV) my leaf spring on my Trailex broke before the tire blew. Guy who fixed it said he had never seen a spring break like that before. Talked to another Trailex owner at an event in Florida and he had broken a spring also on his. Said that the axle hits the frame on hard bumps and his solution was to and bump stops to the top of the axle to soften the axle/frame interaction. He claimed that solved his problem.

Magic

Gentlemen,

I asked Trailex this same question and they told me that auto tires would be a really bad idea on a trailer because the sidewalls are too thin and weak. I guess that the sidewalls are stressed a lot more on a trailer than a car or truck especially when turning sharply in a parking lot. I did not know prior to these last three blowouts that my trailer tires were speed limited to 65 MPH. I was routinely pulling that trailer above 80 MPH so the whole problem may have been my speed. I can't imagine going cross country 15 MPH below the speed limit however. As far as my broken leaf spring, it was probably broken when the tire blew instead of the other way around but I'll never know that for sure. Cheers.

Chip

DC-DD

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2010
PA / FL
I have been towing enclosed trailers for many years. Never had any tire issues until a recent trip from PA to FL. and back . Two flat tires on the way back. Now I had always towed front engine cars so weight was always tongue heavy so to say. I always try to get the weight were I want it for best handling . The trip to FL. was empty on the way down so no issue and the way back had the GT in there. Now the weight was different than any other time towing. I thought I had the car far enough forward to get what I thought was good tongue weight. Anyway I had C load range tires I now have the max tire load range for trailer it is E Just towed from PA. to MI. for the rally and no problems at all . The trailer actually handled much better also. Sorry should mention my trailer is a PACE not trailex.

ChipBeck

GT Owner
Staff member
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 13, 2006
Scottsdale, Arizona
Gentlemen,

I had a long conversation with Carl at Trailex this morning and I believe they have it figured out. When I first bought that trailer I towed it coast to coast at very high speeds and never had a problem with blown tires. But once they started it was a constant problem. They discovered that my left front axle was bent and that tire was way out of alignment. I probably did the damage by hitting something in a parking lot but I don't know when. That caused the tires to scrub and caused a ton of heat especially at high speeds with the load of the GT in it. I am replacing both axles and all of the springs with heavier units and I'm going to 15 inch wheels and heavier high speed tires.

FlorIdaho Chris has the original 10 year old tires on his Trailex and has never had a problem so this issue is most likely alignment from bending something. At least that's my take on it.

Chip

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Sounds reasonable, Chip

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
I'd like to know why leaf springs fail. Spring steel should be good forever.

And, how 15s will fit. With what sized tires. Will the new springs provide more lift? The 205 75/14s on my trailer have just enough clearance. Just enough and no more. All four have rub marks on the fender wells. Sidewall and tread. I can't imagine how bigger wheels/tires would work. The trailer seems to be designed to maximize carrying capacity, which means minimal clearance. Heck, the trailer is as wide as a semi already.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I'd like to know why leaf springs fail. Spring steel should be good forever.

Yes, if properly engineered, manufactured correctly, free from material defects, and not abused.

That said there are examples of springs designed to fail, garage door springs come to minds. Many as installed don't have a lifespan much more than 10K-20K cycles.

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
If any of you with tire failures are using a load leveling hitch that could be cause for concern. I used to carry (5) spares when towing a FF-2000 in enclosed trailer at over 70 mph because I had many many tire failures. When I removed the equalizing hitch I had 0 tire failures from then on. The equalizers take load off the tow vehicle rear wheels and apply it to the tow vehicle front wheels and trailer wheels causing more heat in the trailer tires.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^Bruce interesting thoughts above, I had not thought of that but makes perfect sense, if you have a truck sprung for it.

As also part of the spares I bring along, I also travel with tools and parts to change a wheel bearing (seal, both bearings, and both races). Lost one once, was sure nice to just dig in and fix it roadside, vs the alternative.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
I tow a JIMGLO enclosed. Service bearings/hubs yearly. Run 15" laod range E Cargiles. Never had a problem. Knock on wood.

Last edited:

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Another one coming home from Road Atlanta yesterday. I have three brands of tires on the trailer now. This is the fifth destroyed Goodyear Marathon. No other brands have failed...yet.

Three explosions, one tread separation, and one sidewall bubble that I caught before they blew out. I'm beginning to think that Goodyear Marathons are not good tires. :lol

This blowout took out a wiring harness. And, of course, in a construction zone on I-75 with no shoulder.

Before this 1,060 mile trip, the Trailex trailer got a clean bill of health from "The Trailer Guy." Axles straight and true, wheel bearings recently serviced, adequate wheel well clearance, load properly balanced.

I even had an infrared thermometer along to check tire temps at fuel and rest stops. Did you know that at 75-78 degrees air temp, the tire tread temp is 110-114 degrees? All tires...trailer and tow car. That rules out heat buildup as a factor.

I have one Carlisle now. Next step is a complete set of Carlisles and see how that goes.

IMAG2149.jpg

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
Interesting on those Temps. Good luck getting to the bottom of this.

Nafod

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Have the wheels been check for being true? With every thing else being square, something seems to be causing the tires to exceed there design/ultimate loads. Have you contacted Goodyear and asked if they would like to evaluate the tires. Video of the trailer being towed at speed. Maybe a small sway harmonic causing side loads? Don't know if there are any apps for the smart phones, but one that could record G loads while being towed might give you some info.
All darts throw in the dark.. but it seems you have attacked most of the problems areas.
GL,

Bruce

w.a.nelson

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Feb 29, 2008
Asbury, NJ and Bourne, MA
Tank treads?

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Have not checked wheel trueness, but I always ask the techs about balance. So far, they all have been easy to balance with minimal weight.

I have not contacted Goodyear.

I am so dumb. I bought a Carlisle tire from DiscountTireDirect.com today. For $9.50, they give you a replacement coupon. They will replace any non-repairable tire for free, including shipping, down to 3/32. I did not know about this program. Of course, you have to be able to get home without being forced to buy another tire while traveling. That means carrying multiple spares.

KMCBOSS

RED GT owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Bremerton, Washington
Have not checked wheel trueness, but I always ask the techs about balance. So far, they all have been easy to balance with minimal weight.

I have not contacted Goodyear.

I am so dumb. I bought a Carlisle tire from DiscountTireDirect.com today. For $9.50, they give you a replacement coupon. They will replace any non-repairable tire for free, including shipping, down to 3/32. I did not know about this program. Of course, you have to be able to get home without being forced to buy another tire while traveling. That means carrying multiple spares.

After an epic fail (running over a curb and blowing two tires) earlier in the year, I will always carry two spares and a full sized floor jack (3 ton), when towing my trailer.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Run Load Range E. Carlilse make them in a 15" trailer tire. We run them on our 24' Jimglo with no issue yet. Our other 2 trailers are 16" D or E.

Any car hauler less than Load Range D is living on luck or not making long hauls.