Takata airbag recall

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Walnut Creek. Have you done yours? If so, where?

Not yet. Both of my air bags are the originals. :ack

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
10 hours and 2 dealerships later (long story, too long to reiterate), I finally got the driver's and passenger's side done. Everything seems to be back in place, nothing obviously broken, bent, scratched, missing or loose.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
^^^^ ouch sorry to read that Ed.... And I was lead to believe that there is verbiage in the dealer paperwork, the dealer is allowed to send a tech to you. The interim fix for sure, as I had the tech come to my shop.

bonehead

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 18, 2012
Houston, TX
^^^^ ouch sorry to read that Ed.... And I was lead to believe that there is verbiage in the dealer paperwork, the dealer is allowed to send a tech to you. The interim fix for sure, as I had the tech come to my shop.

You heard correctly, Andy. But it's up to the dealer's discretion and capability. I asked the first dealer (which is a good 45 min-hour from me) if they could send out their tech. Said they don't have mobile capabilities. Didn't even bother with the second as I just wanted it done then and there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
In Cal, I only did the driver side. Are both sides part of the recall for all states?

GTED

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
In Cal, I only did the driver side. Are both sides part of the recall for all states?

GTED

You will be notified if you need the passenger side. Not many so far but they could be expanding the recall. They are separate recalls so you would get a letter for each if you are affected.

Joehand1

Tungsten GT Owner
Sep 20, 2007
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
Dragon (yes that's his name) at Treadwell Ford in Mobile has done all my work for past 9 years. He did the both airbags in a hour.

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
I had the drivers recall (15S21) done yesterday. I asked about the passenger side recall, as I have a recall notice on that from December 2015 (14S28). The dealership here said they could do the passenger side, but a new revised recall (16S26) is about to be released with letters going out. Sounds like the current passenger side recall is an interim fix. I elected to wait on the passenger side until the final fix is available. Don't want my lower dash removed twice.

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
So my experience again makes me so frustrated going to see dealerships.

I drove my black 06 GT to my local Ford dealer. I pulled up to the service department. I got out and walked up to the service rider station. The gentleman there pleasantly asked what I needed. I said I wished to inquire about bringing in my cars for the airbag recall and I pointed to the black car sitting outside. He asked what kind of a car was it, for which I replied a Ford GT. He said "A what?" After briefly trying to explain to him the kind of a car it is, I gave him my paperwork for the recall with the 3 vin numbers on it. He looked them up in OASIS confirming each one has a recall and asked for my phone number as he would have to call me next week after he made some calls. I thanked him, got back in the car and drove it back home.

So quick version: local dealership doesn't know what kind of a car it is, doesn't know if they have the parts available or in stock and will call me when he finds something out (a call I don't ever expect to receive)

SMH

Good news to report and I will take a moment to apologize to Kinsel Ford. I received a phone call yesterday asking if I wished to have the recall performed. I said I'd bring each car in separately and just wait on them. Brought the gtx1 in today. Tech was very professional and careful. When he took the canisters apart he showed me where the rust problems have been found and mine did have some surface rust on them. The drivers side cartridge is a completely different design. Took about 30 minutes to do with me watching most of it. So 1 down 3 to go.....

Attachments

• 20160712_152654.jpg
    20160712_152654.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 167
  • 20160712_154328.jpg
    20160712_154328.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 164

Waxer

Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
Got my notice for drivers side today.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Good news to report and I will take a moment to apologize to Kinsel Ford. I received a phone call yesterday asking if I wished to have the recall performed. I said I'd bring each car in separately and just wait on them. Brought the gtx1 in today. Tech was very professional and careful. When he took the canisters apart he showed me where the rust problems have been found and mine did have some surface rust on them. The drivers side cartridge is a completely different design. Took about 30 minutes to do with me watching most of it. So 1 down 3 to go.....

That's interesting.....I think they replaced my driver side unit with one exactly like what was in there...ie the one on the right side of the picture. The left picture is shorter. Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Can someone post a scan of most recent letter or FORD phone # in letter

I haven't received any letters

Thanks

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Thanks

Is there a ph#, I need to update FORD with my address

Awsum GT

GT Owner '18
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 17, 2005
Carmel & Cntrl Ca
Try this # 1-800-232-5952

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Can someone post a scan of most recent letter or FORD phone # in letter

I haven't received any letters

Thanks

You can also use this

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls/

Surprisingly, my passenger just showed up on this list although I've not gotten the letter yet. Recall # 16S26. Like the earlier one, it says "remedy not yet available", so my car sits once again.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I dropped by today and had my driver's side done in service drive.

Sysco are you in SoCal

My VIN still shows:

Is the letter the proof you need OR the Ford Recall database.

Anyone have luck having Galpin do it if your VIN status is not valid yet.

KJRGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 4, 2006
SoCal
Kayvan I just had mine done at Santa Monica Ford last week.
Have you had the first replacement done?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
CORRECTION: previous posted number is hearing impaired.

Call FORD Customer Center 800-392-3673

1.) Call above # and speak to a live Rep; their search supercedes previous letters, Ford recall site, Fed databases.
2.) The rep stated parts were available for both sides even though Ford recall website shows not available (eg, remedy).
3.) Ford sends recall letters to addresses via DMV database (2yrs out of date in my case); cannot take or correct your address.
4.) Call your local dealer to search your VIN for recall and order parts if not on hand.

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Kayvan I just had mine done at Santa Monica Ford last week.
Have you had the first replacement done?

Thanks

No; Ford just sent out a letter this June ( to my old address) for driver side and this week for passenger side as showing part available