Takata airbag recall

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
I just got back from Texas. I called my dealer and asked about the recall. They told me not until fourth quarter 2016. I called Ford right away and they told me they are doing this by regions, so no replacement for me for a while.

Frank, I talked to parts guys I deal with at the Ford dealer by me.
He said they were able to special order for another GT owner.
I just need to get a work order started through the service department, and he should be able to order them in for mine.
I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Anyone in SoCal have luck getting driver / passenger done
With latest parts?

Galpin is my closest dealer

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
Ford mechanic came to my house today and replaced the driver and passenger airbags. While the lower dash panel was off he allowed me to replace 3 of my switches that the LED quit working. Great experience and all from the comforts of home. He says " I wouldn't want to drive mine to the dealership if I didn't have to!!"

Interestly he commented that of all the hundreds of airbag parts he has installed, the worst looking ones are always on garage kept, climate controlled garages. Ten year old daily drivers do not look as bad. Notice on one of the pictures below how rusty the metal is on the crash guards behind the lower dash panel. Mine was much better than on other GT's he has seen. Maybe because the a/c does not get run often to dry out the interiors??

I would love to have the mechanic come to my house to do the repair, but since I've only had Rich and Denis do the work on my car, I don't have a "local" dealer that I have a "relationship" with. I'd bring it to Howard Lucas (member owns Lucas Ford), but that's to damn far away. Does anyone have a "suggestion" of a dealer that they're familiar with in the Westchester County, NY area that they can recommend, who might be willing to send their tech to my home?

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
How about AIR BAGS at the barn!
Its been a while, RPM, I will put a call into Howie and if the GT guys come out we can have at least 15 gt's .
Call when you get a minute....

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
I just got my second letter from Ford for the Driver's Side. I got the Passenger Side letter in December. Called my local dealer today and he called back to say the parts might be in next week! Their GT Tech is really, really a good one so I am looking forward to the swap out and hope they let me back there with him so I can take some pictures.

PS. For GT500 owners, I was told today that the replacement parts wont be until late this year. I am glad I live in a fairly dry climate.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
RPM,

Pleasatville Ford
47 Pleasantville Rd 10570

Frank Porcaro, Srv Mgr
914-769-1800 ext.315

They serviced my GT 3 times (recall, oil/filter, 'major service at 7500')

They have a SVT trained tech; Ron or Ronny

Should have a local Ford dealer in case

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Do we need the latest letter(s) to get the recall work performed? Or can you just go into the dealer and have them look it up.

RPM217

2005 white/blue stripe
Jun 18, 2010
Rye Brook, New York
RPM,

Pleasatville Ford
47 Pleasantville Rd 10570

Frank Porcaro, Srv Mgr
914-769-1800 ext.315

They serviced my GT 3 times (recall, oil/filter, 'major service at 7500')

They have a SVT trained tech; Ron or Ronny

Should have a local Ford dealer in case
Thanks Kayvan, but will they send him to my house to perform the service? If I use your name as a reference, will it hurt or help?

Joey, always up for the GT Guys at the Barn. Will Ford provide the replacement parts to them, and compensate them for the install? I tend to doubt that they would, but if anyone could influence..............it'd be GT Joey!!!!

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
My last time there was 4yrs ago; so may not remember me

They were an old school dealership, everything by book rate and honest

Even painted a blue GT for another member here, who said it came out perfect.

Doubt they will send out a Tech since it's a major metro area within <25mi of you.

Still pays to build a relationship with a local dealer.

B. West

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2012
Irvine, CA
Randy, you don't need the letter. You can just go in and have them run an Oasis on your VIN. Our local dealer has a few in stock and they can order for you if you need it. Call me later and I can assist.
Do we need the latest letter(s) to get the recall work performed? Or can you just go into the dealer and have them look it up.

MNJason

GT Owner
May 14, 2010
San Diego
So they have to take the lower dash panel off to do the passenger side? How difficult is that?

Planecrazy232

GT Owner
Nov 28, 2012
Cape Coral, FL
So they have to take the lower dash panel off to do the passenger side? How difficult is that?

Lower dash panel is one piece driver to passenger side. I watch the mechanic pull it off pretty easily. Not for the faint of heart. It is very narrow where it goes above the radio so it must be handled carefully.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Who can do the work in Connecticut?
Any thoughts?

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
any dealer

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
I'd sure love to find a member who had a good experience with a dealer in my state. If anyone has that recommendation I'd appreciate it. Thnx

TO AWSUM

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 4, 2007
Niceville FL
I just used local dealer. It's not a complicated fix. Took him about 10 minutes.

Last edited:

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
The second series of Airbag replacements are available (I am not sure if all markets) .

1. My FordGT is at the dealer this week for its 10,000mile and 10 year complete purge, refill , belts etc. maintenance

It had the airbag replaced last year with version 1. (Driver only)
Today it had the version 2 replacement installed. (Driver only)

2. Next week my 2011 Shelby GT500 Mustang will have the new driver bag installed. They are availiable.

andy (ajb)

The Grey Ghost

GT Owner
Mar 13, 2009
Kansas City
Dealership finally received my replacements after I pushed them to order the parts and we are now scheduled for replacement.

Sent the service department a copy of the letter explaining the program for them to come to the house for replacement. They refused, but offered to flatbed it to the dealership. Not about to let them try and load it, much less let it out of my sight. Looks like I'll be baby sitting it in a bay at the dealership.
At least it's getting done.

Now I just have to stay on top of them for the Shelby. Reading Andy's post, it looks like they are available as well, but it seems several dealerships still don't even know they can get them.

Can't believe I have to be this aggressive to get them to take care of these.

GTJack

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 1, 2006
Saddlebrooke, MO
Jeff. My dealer ordered parts last week and I am still waiting to set up an appointment. Expect it to be next week.

For those who have seen the passenger side replaced, is it advisable to blue tape the passenger side of the console? I dont expect the dealership to do that.

AJB

GT
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jun 28, 2006
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Guys -- in my opinion ((after having mine replaced once already - and now twice for the GT and soon once for the Shelby Mustang))...
just take it to the dealership , wait in the lobby for the hour it takes (make sure you have an appointment), chill with a coffee, and have them just do it. It is really easy.
It is NOT worth the risk of having them come to your garage in a bad mood....or even worse....load it onto a flat bed and take on and off and on again and off again at your home.
Too much opportunity for bad things to happen..

andy (ajb)