Takata airbag recall

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
http://motrolix.com/2015/05/ford-re...ustang-2005-2006-ford-gt-over-faulty-airbags/

What should be noticed by everyone is the statement:

"In addition, customers should note that this recall supersedes recall 14V802 in its entirety. Additionally, vehicles that have had their driver side frontal airbag replaced previously as part of a recall remedy need to have their airbag replaced under this recall as well."

"The recall is expected to begin July 13th, 2015. Owners may contact Ford customer service with questions by using the following information.
Contacts:
Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
Ford Recall Number: 14V802
NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319000"

I still wonder - What about the passenger side???

Last edited:

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington

If memory serves me correctly - pass.side was a different manufacturer.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV

It seems that there might be a few passenger sides, but this seems to imply that now all driver's side are recalled to include even those that were replaced in the previous recall...

PILOTJPW1

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 22, 2005
Maryland
NHTSA is in charge of which bags get changed.

Sooner or later we will be changing all of them. It might be 10 years of this.

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL

Under the recall both of mine required replacement. I have a 2006 and when replaced by the dealer both were manufactured by Takata.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
We had the 2005 replaced, both sides. They still have not sent letter on 2006 car built march 2006. Replacement on 2005 was fast and problem free( so far).

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Just looked up the 2006 by VIN and it is now under recall of 5/27/15 but sez incomplete remedy not available yet. Have not gotten letter on that car. Have not gotten any redo letter on the 2005. We live in Florida so would imagine if humidity is the problem that we would be the focus.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
"In addition, customers should note that this recall supersedes recall 14V802 in its entirety. Contacts:
Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
Ford Recall Number: 14V802
NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319000"

Do you know the new Ford recall number ? (The one superseding 14V802). Thanks.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Just looked up the 2006 by VIN and it is now under recall of 5/27/15 but sez incomplete remedy not available yet. Have not gotten letter on that car. Have not gotten any redo letter on the 2005. We live in Florida so would imagine if humidity is the problem that we would be the focus.

You should check both VINs. Previously recalled and serviced vehicles are being recalled again. The latest recall will mean your previously replaced will be done a second time.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Do you know the new Ford recall number ? (The one superseding 14V802). Thanks.

Probably won't be issued until July 13th...

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Probably won't be issued until July 13th...

It's on the Ford site already. My vehicle lists two:

NHTSA #14V802 Ford #14B09 date: DEC 18, 2014

NHTSA #15V319 Ford #15S21 date: MAY 27, 2015

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
You should check both VINs. Previously recalled and serviced vehicles are being recalled again. The latest recall will mean your previously replaced will be done a second time.

Yes I agree. Thanks! KO

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
It's on the Ford site already. My vehicle lists two:

NHTSA #14V802 Ford #14B09 date: DEC 18, 2014

NHTSA #15V319 Ford #15S21 date: MAY 27, 2015

Thanks- So 2 different recall numbers, but not clear on Ford's and NHSTA websites why - (i. e. Is 14B09 for driver side and 15S21 for passenger side or is 15S21 a new part all together for both)- If new part for both sides than guys who replaced the inflator under 14B09 will need to replace them again under 15S21, yes ? Once all this is "cleared up" maybe a sticky will help ? Another issue is to double check with the dealer to make sure the latest recall is being administered.

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks- So 2 different recall numbers, but not clear on Ford's and NHSTA websites why - (i. e. Is 14B09 for driver side and 15S21 for passenger side or is 15S21 a new part all together for both)- If new part for both sides than guys who replaced the inflator under 14B09 will need to replace them again under 15S21, yes ? Once all this is "cleared up" maybe a sticky will help ? Another issue is to double check with the dealer to make sure the latest recall is being administered.

Both of those are drivers side, but the way I read it if you have 14V802 done you will ultimately need to do it again under 15V319, which currently is listed as "no solution available", meaning, your dealer will probably show parts on backorder.

So the real question is do you bother with 14V802? I won't since I'm in the desert and while a global recall, the vehicles affected were initially in high humidity areas.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Thanks, I wonder what is being used as a propellant with the 15V319 recall (Ammonium Nitrate ?)

According to Consumer Reports:
"As recently as the fall of 2014 it looked unlikely that other airbag suppliers could pick up the slack. There was little spare assembly capacity anywhere, and rival systems used different designs. That picture is changing, and other major suppliers are now involved, including AutoLiv, TRW, and Daicel. Takata has said that it is now using competitors’ products in half the inflator-replacement kits it is churning out, and expects that number to reach more than 70 percent. Those rival suppliers also use a propellant that hasn’t been implicated in the problems Takata has experienced."

Way to go Forum! Great info and great timing. I was scheduled to have the air bag replaced this Thursday under the old recall 14B09. I just called Ford and they verified the new recall but have no information yet. They recommend doing 14B09 now, but then I would have to have it redone under the new recall. As of July 13, they will send letters to owners notifying them of the new recall (15S21). I called the dealer and discussed it with them - they said what they had to, that FoMoCo recommends getting the first one done. However, I don't see the point of getting it done now when it will have to be done again. The service manager said that he would probably make the same decision if it was his car. In the mean time I will do my best not to hit a tree or be hit by some yahoo.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
So has any GT actually been affected by a faulty bag or propellant ?
Isn't that what we really need to know?

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
My GT is now showing up in recall system:

What does this status message mean? Are dealers low on replacements; thought I saw a few Cali people say they had theirs done recently

"Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE."

---------------------
Recall Date: MAY 27, 2015

Recall Title: DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT

NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319

Ford Recall Number: 15S21

Recall Description: IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING TO RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY.
Risk to Safety: IN INFLATOR RUPTURE COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY INJURING VEHICLE OCCUPANTS
Remedy Program: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WITH A NEW ONE, FREE OF CHARGE.

Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
Answer can be found in link in post 261 in this thread-

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My GT is now showing up in recall system:

What does this status message mean? Are dealers low on replacements; thought I saw a few Cali people say they had theirs done recently

"Status: 12 - RECALL INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE."

---------------------
Recall Date: MAY 27, 2015

Recall Title: DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR REPLACEMENT

NHTSA Recall Number: 15V319

Ford Recall Number: 15S21

Recall Description: IN THE SUBJECT VEHICLES, CONTINUED EXPOSURE TO HIGH LEVELS OF ABSOLUTE HUMIDITY MAY CAUSE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR HOUSING TO RUPTURE IF THE VEHICLE IS INVOLVED IN A CRASH WHERE THE SUPPLEMENTAL FRONT AIRBAGS ARE DESIGNED TO DEPLOY.
Risk to Safety: IN INFLATOR RUPTURE COULD RESULT IN METAL FRAGMENTS STRIKING AND POTENTIALLY INJURING VEHICLE OCCUPANTS
Remedy Program: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER AIRBAG INFLATOR WITH A NEW ONE, FREE OF CHARGE.

Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/ OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

I am told that the parts are not available for this recall yet and will show as "on backorder"... Call the service department and if they say they are in stock be sure it is for this recall and not the December recall.