kilgore tx
Just ran my Silver cars vin and it shows drivers side only

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
And my red car vin says same thing, driver side only. Nothing about passenger side.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Jan 30 2006 is last date per recall notices/press releases online

Based on the below link copied from the Ford Owners website, my 2006 VIN 1790 built on 8/17/06 is NOT on recall. So it looks like Ford expanded the recall to ALL FGT's built 2/11/05 through 1/30/06, regardless of WHERE they are garaged. This latest change relates only to the broadening of the geographic area. There has been NO CHANGE to the build date window widely reported in this string. Find your build date and if it is in this date range, you should be getting a recall notice from Ford. If you don't receive one, I suggest you call Ford Customer Service and inquire.

usmcfred

https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
How much surgery is required to change the parts? Is it something that is low risk of damage with the average tech?

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
How much surgery is required to change the parts? Is it something that is low risk of damage with the average tech?

Great question

ByeEnzo

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Dec 10, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
My car was built on 2/08/05 which is 3 days before the recall window. I ran the VIN on the Ford recall website and my car is not involved. Am I to assume early cars (mine is 0421 in 2005) got nondefective airbag mechanisms?

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I am a Ford Dealer and yes, all GT's are now effected and both driver and passanger airbags. Parts are available for now but don't wait if you are not wanting to wait long on parts.

Mike
Is it really both sides? Mine was a Jan 06 build the certificate still packed away in a box somewhere has the build date. My notice just says drivers side as of 18th. Will both sides eventually come on to the system?

Last edited:

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Just checked my Vin and mine says driver side as well.
Bill

GKW05GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 28, 2011
Fayetteville, Ga.
My dealer ordered parts but they are on backorder.

Last edited:

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Beach gt posted a while ago in this thread that it was a non invasive process and quick. I would assume its like other assemblies that I have taken apart, there are secret clips or recess on the back of the wheel, and then the bag assembly (the center of the steering wheel) comes off and just the actuators are changed. The bag and cosmetic package stays (so your corroded silver emblem is not changed).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Is it really both sides? Mine was a Jan 06 build the certificate still packed away in a box somewhere has the build date. My notice just says drivers side as of 18th. Will both sides eventually come on to the system?

I stopped by the dealer service department this morning and he confirmed that right now only the driver's side is listed. I told him I'd wait a little bit to see if the passenger shows up since I'd rather not have to bring it in twice.

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Our 2005 was built may 2005. Took it in after getting letter and both sides were serviced.

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Build date is on door jamb VIN/specs/DOT STICKER

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Thanks for the post and update. How long did it take to complete the service as I really don't want to leave the car? You know what I mean...
Thanks,
Bill

Billy J.

GT Owner
Oct 29, 2014
Our 2005 was built may 2005. Took it in after getting letter and both sides were serviced.

Thanks for the post and update. How long did it take to complete the service as I really don't want to leave the car? You know what I mean...
Thanks,
Bill

jbyrnes

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Jun 13, 2006
Louisville CO
Another data point. I stopped into the local Ford dealer today about the recall. We have an 05' built in Aug 05' and an 06' built in Dec 05'. Both are showing a recall on the drivers side bag only. I'm also going to wait until Spring to take them in at the chance that the side bags could get included soon, plus maybe they'll have gotten some experience by then on the recall - they haven't seen any GT's come in yet for the airbags.

usmcfred

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 26, 2006
Massachusetts
Another data point. I stopped into the local Ford dealer today about the recall. We have an 05' built in Aug 05' and an 06' built in Dec 05'. Both are showing a recall on the drivers side bag only. I'm also going to wait until Spring to take them in at the chance that the side bags could get included soon, plus maybe they'll have gotten some experience by then on the recall - they haven't seen any GT's come in yet for the airbags.

It's not the BAGS that get replaced, it's the ACTUATOR that contains the propellant ... of which there are two, one for each side. Some FGT's within the recall date range only have one side flagged for replacement ... likely because the other side actuator was manufactured by another supplier, not Takata. Presumably all FGT's outside the recall date parameters do not have any Takata actuators. Companies such as ARC and Autoliv also make airbag systems.

A lot of FGT's in the colder parts of the country have been tucked in for the Winter so likely there will be a blitz for replacement at Ford dealers beginning next Spring moving south to north.

usmcfred

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
Beach gt posted a while ago in this thread that it was a non invasive process and quick. I would assume its like other assemblies that I have taken apart, there are secret clips or recess on the back of the wheel, and then the bag assembly (the center of the steering wheel) comes off and just the actuators are changed. The bag and cosmetic package stays (so your corroded silver emblem is not changed).

How about the passenger side?

K-P Garage

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Longwood, Florida
Thanks,
Bill

Less than an hour total time for both sides.