Tachometer Stopped Working

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
......... I read earlier that the aluminum frame may be responsible ...............

WTF - nobody said that!

Jaquar's, Aston's and a variety of other cars including the FGT are aluminum frames. Just need to insure the battery ground is attached and cleaned properly - as with any car!

anya

NGT,GT/GTX1 Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Mine stopped working for about an hour on a cold day once. Thank goodness it went back to normal.

The 2005 gauges often, on start up, go "crazy" but start working after 5 or ten minutes? I think when Ford sold Jaguar they could no longer source LUCAS!:thumbsup

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
We have a survey up and it appears less than 40 have this issue; and 75% with not using the OEM charger....

I think on a % basis the numbers need to be much higher to have it flagged as a warranty/recall issue.

Put a link up to the survey please.

racelance

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Nov 26, 2006
Carlisle, PA

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
Thanks the poll is over 40 gages gone kaput...hopefully the Ford tech guys can stir something up...Suprised DBK has not chimed in on this thread yet.

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
So let me see now, if we all paid about $150k for our cars(which we did'nt) and the price of parts are going up 500% then our cars are worth more chopped then whole.

So all my parts are now avaiable for $750000 ... cash:lol:lol:lol

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
Thanks the poll is over 40 gages gone kaput...hopefully the Ford tech guys can stir something up...Suprised DBK has not chimed in on this thread yet.

I already spoke with Auto Meter. They said if the failure rate is anywhere near 5%, he couldn't imagine Ford not doing something.
Well... Ford??? Are you hearing this?

We have 40 failures out of 1,000 members= 4%.

Possibly more because there is no way to know if there are failures not represented in the survey.

I don't know if I subscribe to the theory someone proposed earlier that Ford is simply increasing the price (500%) to keep inventory available. Auto Meter is ready and willing to build more and their costs haven't gone up 500%. The question is, how much more would tach's cost to produce in a "short run?"

keep in mind, the initial run wasn't huge at +/- 4,000.

tpraceman

THEE GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 20, 2006
Washington Michigan
List: $2,753.56 My Cost: $2,141.66 Dlr Cost: Est $1,947.00

Do the math:
Say @ $500 each X 250 members & customers = $125,000.00

My educated guess is $37 to manufacture x 250 = $9,250.00

I would think over the period of a year they could sell 1000 as well as most GT owners would put one on the shelf in the event they need one.

Design is done all that needs to be done is a fix to what ever is burning out.

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx

Do the math:

I would think over the period of a year they could sell 1000 as well as most GT owners would put one on the shelf in the event they need one.

+1

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009
This hole ordeal with the gauges is ridiculous! I would have been happier with a Toyota! I already had to purchase the bolts in my rear along with the Ford parts manager giving me a hard time I will quote him "THESE PARTS ARE NOT UNDER WARRANTY ANYMORE YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM!" so I paid for the bolts even though they should have had a endless warranty on these items. They should warranty my defective gauges also!

hollywoodstunts

GT Owner
Apr 25, 2009
Venice, CA
This hole ordeal with the gauges is ridiculous! I would have been happier with a Toyota! I already had to purchase the bolts in my rear along with the Ford parts manager giving me a hard time I will quote him "THESE PARTS ARE NOT UNDER WARRANTY ANYMORE YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY FOR THEM!" so I paid for the bolts even though they should have had a endless warranty on these items. They should warranty my defective gauges also!

Well said. Never paid anything for any service on my 2007 BMW M5. Anything that broke (2 sets of track abused, warped brake rotors) replaced without question.
Now I pay fifty thousand dollars more for an American car that lives up to the reputation of American cars. I entered this exclusive ownership group with high hopes. This is not what expected when I joined this group.

richardhead

GT Owner
Sep 19, 2006
More Fuel for the Fire

Sunvisors: 6GZ7Z-6304104-AA (Right) and 8G7Z-6304105-AA (Left)

List: $338.72 each My Cost: $254.04 Est. Dlr Cost: $230.95

I wonder what they were 6 months ago?

Tachometers:

Do the math:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
Listen, make no mistake I feel for those of you having these gauge problems and I hope that resolution occurs at some point soon and in the owners favor. But understand that you decided to buy a limited run exotic car from a company that specializes in everyday vehicles for the working class.....and they still made a car that outperforms everything in its class 4 years after the run stopped for what was a very reasonable price for this type of car. :thumbsup

Have you ever owned a Ferrari/Lambo/Aston Martin etc? Try those routine service bills on for size not to mention what their replacement parts cost out of warranty. Every car has a problem, but I will take my FGT over any current or past exotic that I have driven. It still stirs something in me every time I see it and drive it. No other car I have owned I can say that about. I think Ford hit a home run with this car and I am sure if you are unhappy with your car you will not have much trouble selling it.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
+1

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
The whole mark up process is pretty much out of control. I attribute this to poor employee performance.

Why....

There is no doubt a software program runs these calcs and applies some mark up based on inv level, next in PO, last in PO, min order qty etc.

A person somewhere should see a list of outliers. Things that don't sound right or smell right. If that list has a desc it and a car person is reviewing the list it would be obvious there is something odd. If some kid without experience is reviewing the list it would not make sense to them.

Next is this person's boss. Tight times in the industry make for plenty of strict speaches. The speach maker uses Always, Never and beats the pulpit. They neglect to say, "But if it smells funny bring it to someones attention". They end the speech with the closing line "No Exceptions" When people stop bringing you issues you have stopped leading and people stop caring.

I had a District Manager ( Call him Ted)once say " No overtime without my approval, no exceptions or you will be fired". A sat morn while he was golfing someone called in sick. The manager when to the store an called the DM as he was on overtime. The Dm was on tee 3 and never picked up the call. The manager talked to another manager about the situation. In the end he left the store closed and a VM for the DM.

We lost $25,000 in sales that day. Who would you fire?

..... I wanted to fire both, but ended up firing the DM. His no exceptions, don't bother me policy was not what we pay mgmt for. Mgmt is there to make those decisions in the first place. And he did not give his own decision makers a comfortable way to make decisions. What we learned after he was gone was more of the same BS he had used with folks for years. Sales grew 22% in his old group that next year vs. 5% for the co. Customer sat scores were up 300%. Mangers could now make real decisions.

These types of software programs are designed to make logical decisions 90+ percent of the time. It's the other 1-9 pct that ends up like our mess. Ford has their own Ted.

-Do we really believe the CEO would endorse a $30,000 dash pad.
-Take a stance that a tach should last 3,000 miles
-Or an axle bolt debacle was something with an expriation date on an issue that is as dangerous as Toyotas.

Sure there is a bit of gloating going on over Toyotas woes right now. But Flip this story, and someone will learn a harsh lesson internally ? And next on 7.......Domestic mfg's also have issues.

Someone simply needs to get the message to the right person to make a huge difference. Unfortunately very few have the huevos to jump levels to do it. Political sucide. We are a pretty reasonable bunch. But some of this has passed my own high tolerance for reasonable.

If this really is some sick mark up play by some disturbed person, it's not the way to walk away from an Icon. Many ways out with a good exit strategy. For example Ford Racing could sell the Tach's, even the entire gauge cluster would be nice in some hot rods. Check the price on a wheel through Ford and through Ford Racing and you will see the drastic difference for the same part.

A few parts can be sold as aftermarket parts. Seats, Gauges, Wheels, Trans, Engines Radiator packs, etc for street rods. The rest they will need a real exit strategy on. Free the OEM suppliers of contracts where it makes sense. The tooling is paid for.

Why take the most loyal multiple Ford car owners for the big mark up cars and trucks and piss them off. Some of us have normal fleets as well. There is no way any CEO would endorse that. And I do not believe Ford's past or present CEO's would. If on a dealership tour the CEO were to stumble across this, I bet it would be resolved in a matter of hours. Happens all the time in the Corp world. Middle mgmt ( even the best ) are politically boxed in from doing what makes perfect sense. Who internally the huevos?

Stepping off the soap bow now. But that how I see it.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Wow, Wally, that was just darn great. Thanks

Thugboat

GT Owner
Jan 20, 2009
Humble Texas
Wally,

Isn't common sense and amazing thing. To bad only top level management has the authority to use it. Yours was the most down to earth, sensible, take on this and is exactly spot on. I agree 1000 percent. I know in my company thats what I would do if I found this was a problem.

Larry Boatner

Now, If we can just get the right person to see this thread!!!

Scooter

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 15, 2009

Wow, I just realized I shouldn't post in the evening after I have happy hour!
But I do remember the Ford parts manager was very rude to me regarding the bolts..I knew I was there to pay for them and he thought I wanted them under warranty. I have a guy/friend that restores dash boards, he said he could fix my guages. He has many people from all over the states send him there dash bezels from there old Mopar cars.
I'm worried that if I go threw the trouble to repair the one tachometer and then after reinstalling then the other guages will fail.

Last edited:

cobrar1339

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 2, 2006
Diamond Bar, Ca
Timing is everything I guess,:lol how Ironic.

Example of the wrong person drawing attention: I know the right person is out there. Hanging in there.

DETROIT (AP) -- Ford Motor Co. plans to fix 17,600 Mercury Milan and Ford Fusion gas-electric hybrids because of a software problem that can give drivers the impression that the brakes have failed.

The automaker says the problem occurs in transition between two braking systems and at no time are drivers without brakes.

The decision to fix the 2010 model cars came after a test driver for Consumer Reports magazine experienced the problem as he was driving a Fusion Hybrid.

NorthwoodGT

GT Owner
Jun 12, 2009
Michigan
new GT tach on ebay today 2/5/10