TACH Stopped working

dandaman

GT Owner
Apr 8, 2007
Tyler, Tx
I have a friend that has 800 miles on his 05 GT. His tack stopped working and I was wondering if there was a electronic sending unit that works the tack that could have possibly went out or is it the Tach itself? I have sanded the Neg battery cable area that mounts to the car. Any other ideas?
Thank you!

beckertb

GT Owner
Nov 29, 2006
Beaumont, TX
I'm by no means an expert, but the gauges are regarded in our cars as being anything but reliable. There are many many documented failures. Do a quick search on the forum under gauge failure and you will see. You have 2 options--replace it with another OEM gauge with questionable reliability or swap it/the entire cluster for speedhuts.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Most here will suggest (as above) that he just replace the whole instrument cluster with Speed Huts...since the whole 9 yards costs about what the OEM tach alone will cost...and he'll have no more gauge failures to worry about. :thumbsup :cheers

I'm not aware of anyone who hasn't had to replace their tach if it did NOT "come to life" after cleaning the ground and/or trickle charging the battery. If your friend hasn't done the latter yet, he might give that a try first. But, if 'charging also fails, it's likely new gauges time.

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
98% chance it is the OEM tach.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
mine does stop working when i had a nearly dead battery , try replacing the battery with a new one i suggest optima , it works perfectly now

fordgtkwt

GT Owner
Mar 7, 2010
Japan
did*

Black GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 2, 2006
Lucky I have over 10 k on my 05, and no gauge failures yet. I did have my gas gauge not work, replaced battery now all good.

Mullet

FORD GT OWNER
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
Houston Texas
mine does stop working when i had a nearly dead battery , try replacing the battery with a new one i suggest optima , it works perfectly now

2-3 times over the last week my gauges would not work after starting the car (I would turn off the car and back on and they would work). I've had my battery (Optima red top) in the car for 3+ years. Changed the battery to a OEM FGT battery (Optima?) from the dealer and no gauge issues so far.

GT1261

GT Owner
May 28, 2012
2-3 times over the last week my gauges would not work after starting the car (I would turn off the car and back on and they would work). I've had my battery (Optima red top) in the car for 3+ years. Changed the battery to a OEM FGT battery (Optima?) from the dealer and no gauge issues so far.

Same thing here, my car has been in the garage for 4 months because we have 10 inches snow outside and I started her up two weeks ago and only the tacho worked.
I got mad as Arnold did in Predator and shut the engine down and started her up again and all gauges started to work again.

These gay gauges are so F* annoying !!!

jcthorne

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2011
Houston
If the gauges are still in their boot up sequence AND you start the car, AND the battery voltage drops below some level because its getting old or poorly grounded, the gauges will fail the boot sequence and not work. Usually, just shutting the car down and back on again, letting the gauges finish the boot sequence before starting again will bring this condition back to working.....sometimes not. This sequence was what led many to believe the battery condition was the cause of the gauge failure. It still may be a contributing factor.

Anyway, its always better to let the gauge cluster finish booting before hitting the start button and if the dead cluster thing happens to you, clean the ground connection and or start looking for a new battery. Its a voltage drop issue and not necessarily tied to charge state as the battery ages.

This condition also existed in many of the early 05 Mustangs and a few other lines that had early data network gauges. Fortunatly they did not have the failure rate the GT gauges have after the fact.

As far as I know, the GT is the only Ford vehicle with the older gen PCM processor and networked gagues. The Mustangs and others used a later gen processor. No idea if they are related other than boot time.

Midengine-man

GT Owner
Apr 1, 2007
I have the original battery on a Battery Tender since new. No gauge problems yet.....

cobra498

GT Owner
Jul 14, 2010
Central Ca;ifornia
If the gauges are still in their boot up sequence AND you start the car, AND the battery voltage drops below some level because its getting old or poorly grounded, the gauges will fail the boot sequence and not work. Usually, just shutting the car down and back on again, letting the gauges finish the boot sequence before starting again will bring this condition back to working.....sometimes not. This sequence was what led many to believe the battery condition was the cause of the gauge failure. It still may be a contributing factor.

Anyway, its always better to let the gauge cluster finish booting before hitting the start button and if the dead cluster thing happens to you, clean the ground connection and or start looking for a new battery. Its a voltage drop issue and not necessarily tied to charge state as the battery age

This condition also existed in many of the early 05 Mustangs and a few other lines that had early data network gauges. Fortunatly they did not have the failure rate the GT gauges have after the fact.

As far as I know, the GT is the only Ford vehicle with the older gen PCM processor and networked gagues. The Mustangs and others used a later gen processor. No idea if they are related other than boot time.

Did the 2005 Mustang use air motor powered gauges?