Tach does not work

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
I have a 2005 with 37 miles, and i decided to to start the car up this weekend and take it for a drive. It has been sitting on a trickle charger and has not been run for 3 or 4 mos now. The tach seems to have stopped working; any help here???

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Did you try shutting it down and re-starting it? Try that first. Next, I would disconnect the ground to the battery for a minute and then re-connect. Try again. As long as you are lifting the front liner out (to get to the battery), trace the ground cable to where it attaches to the chassis. You might make sure this bolt is tight. If you have some light sandpaper around, you can remove the bolt and sand the paint around where the bolt attaches to make sure you get a good ground.

These are just some things that *might* work - but are worth checking anyway.

Last edited:

ROCMAN

Big Dawg!
Mark IV Lifetime
Mar 9, 2006
USA
Did you try shutting it down and re-starting it? Try that first. Next, I would disconnect the ground to the battery for a minute and then re-connect. Try again. As long as you lift the fron liner out (to get to the battery), trace the ground cable to where itattaches to the chassis. You might make sure this bolt is tight, or, if you have some light sandpaper around, you can remove the bolt and sand the paint around where the bolt attaches to make sure you get a good ground.

These are just some things that *might* work - but are worth checking anyway.

I agree. If that doesn't work, click your heels 3 times and try again. :biggrin

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
I tried shutting it down and restarting it. :frown There is another post under tech that states the cluster needs more voltage to initialize than even to start the car. And that this could happen to a vehicle that has been sitting around, even on a charger.

That seems weird, as I would think cranking the engine would draw the most amperage. Nonetheless, I will try anything/everything before i start ripping the dash out of a 37 mile car.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
There is another post under tech that states the cluster needs more voltage to initialize than even to start the car.

Yes, batteries low on voltage are known to cause weird electrical problems in the GT. I was guiding you through the first checks - to make what you have work. I'd be pretty certain you don't have a bigger issue (bad tach) based on what you've described. Also, not all float chargers are created equal and there could have been abuse to the battery (rapid over-charging) before you took delivery. Worst case is that a battery replacement may be in order - but try the easy stuff first.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yes, batteries low on voltage are known to cause weird electrical problems in the GT. I was guiding you through the first checks - to make what you have work. I'd be pretty certain you don't have a bigger issue (bad tach) based on what you've described. Also, not all float chargers are created equal and there could have been abuse to the battery (rapid over-charging) before you took delivery. Worst case is that a battery replacement may be in order - but try the easy stuff first.

He's is right. There are some know issues with the early battery chargers. If those suggestions don't work you will probably need to get a new battery and trickle charger and hope that the old charger did not do more damage than just toasting one battery.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
If the charger is "ford" that came with the car - beware. Get a hold of kendall ala Nota4re at cooltechllc and pick up his GT charger set..... :cheers

[not plugging - just know what's good! - never had a prblem!:cheers]

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
You guys are great, you have certainly calmed my nerves tonight. Tx again, and will update any results.

gtjoey

Keep Smiling - GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
The ford charger is great for RETAINING THE CURRENT CHARGE OR A LITTLE MORE!! After that its all down hill , its been to long between starts. ZOOP THE BATTERY AND ALL WILL BE FINE, THIS IS IN THE DBK ARCHIVES SOMEWHERE. P.S. DO NOT USE A REGULAR FAST CHARGING BATTERY CHARGER!!!!! UNLESS YOU WANT EXPLODED GOOP ALL OVER THE FRAME. GET THE RIGHT CHARGER FOR A OPTIMA BATTERY, YES THERE IS A DIFFERENCE :thumbsup GTJOEY 1314

Docrug

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Mansfield, Tx
I had the same problem w/ my 05 Dealership replaced it.

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
ok, so I tried driving the car for 15 miles, dissconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, then dissconecting the battery a second time for 30 minutes or so. i then took another 15 mile drive back to my home.

Still no tach.

I changed my battery charger which was a 1.25 maintenence charger to a 2.0 amp charger which it is connected to the car now, not that thats going to do anything other than amuse me.

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
ok, so I tried driving the car for 15 miles, dissconnecting the battery for 5 minutes, then dissconecting the battery a second time for 30 minutes or so. i then took another 15 mile drive back to my home.

Still no tach.

I changed my battery charger which was a 1.25 maintenence charger to a 2.0 amp charger which it is connected to the car now, not that thats going to do anything other than amuse me.

junior

GT Owner
Mar 9, 2007
So Cal
SOunds like it's time for a new battery. I would try the red top Optima. Good luck :thumbsup

TifosiTed

GT Owner
Jul 30, 2007
Chicago Burbs
This may sound dumb, but try tapping on the tach face with the car running. Works every time on my XK-140 fuel gage.

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
Thanks for the tip, I tried it ... and you know what happennes when you start tapping

Casper

GT Owner
Oct 24, 2006
Great Falls, MT
Drive/take it to the Ford dealership....... & for some unknown reason, the tach will start working as soon as you drive it on the lot..... otherwise, see the shop foreman & have him take a drive...

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
I finally got the new battery installed and it did not change the status. I have the GT guys scheduled to take a look at it this weekend, so keep u posted.

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I have had to change a few tachs now for this poblem. Battery charge sometimes fixes them, but some need the gauge.

Dino

Ford GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2006
Queens, NY
Dennis (GT Guys) replaced the Tach this past weekend at GTJoeys gala gathering. So after a year of wondering, in this case it was just a bad tach.