SUPERPERFORMANCE GT40R or something else ???

FrankBarba

Permanent Vacation
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 16, 2005
Harrisburg, PA
I'm currently looking at a Pathfinders GT40R. does any one know of a FGT
that is set up for racing that might be for sale? I know that i will never own
a real GT40, but this might be the next best car.

I've grown tired of racing my current cars that i need something else to light
the spark under my a$$. Tell me what you think......

ultrasportracing

GT Owner
Aug 31, 2011
Perth Western Australia
Google Ford GT GT3 race cars for sale

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
Call Mark at Superformance.
213-435-1748. He can set you up with a used or new

Jason Watt

Had both, sold both
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 14, 2005
Copenhagen, Denmark
Frank,
If you desire a FGT GT3 take a look at this: http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...red=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT

Don't know if its a Mattech car, but I'm sure someone on the board knows more on that topic..

European GT

GT Owner
Aug 20, 2012
If somebody of you guys want a FGT racecar, contact me. I know the history and spec of all cars....

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
Frank,
If you desire a FGT GT3 take a look at this: http://suchen.mobile.de/auto-insera...red=ALSO_DAMAGE_UNREPAIRED&export=ALSO_EXPORT

Don't know if its a Mattech car, but I'm sure someone on the board knows more on that topic..

I think, pretty sure it's a Lambda FGT. Great car

European GT

GT Owner
Aug 20, 2012
Nein Kurt... It is a 2009 build car from Matech, used by Fischer Racing Paderborn. Gruß Sascha

BelgianGT

GT Owner
Jul 10, 2010
Belgium
SAcha...aaaaa hey freund. I didn't even know you were on the Forum :)

This one must be one of the later from Matech then.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
I visited Olthoff Racing in NC yesterday to look at their GT40 build program. A great bunch of guys, very friendly and helpful. They support the Superformance GT40 and have a long history with the car. In fact they are racing two GT40's in Miami this weekend. I'm in search of also, and am planning to go the Superformance route. They are the only factory built roller that is licensed to use the GT40 mark from Safir. Most of their parts actually fit the original GT40's and vise versa. I saw a car on the rack where the owner had a couple of original GT40 frame parts on his car, just because he had them and they fit. Big choice of motors and setups as well as gearboxes. MkI, MkII or an R model chassis with rollcage. Superformance is built in S. Africa, distributed in CA with regional dealers. Find you nearest dealer for more info. Have fun, good luck, see you at the track.

IMG_4701.jpgIMG_4703.jpgIMG_4704.jpgIMG_4709.jpgIMG_4716.jpg
http://youtu.be/oN9HDDEXAls

I'll add a bit to this; because Superformance is licensed to use the GT40 mark and it is built identically to the original, their cars have a P serial number as a continuation of the original GT40 line. Now that will get you exactly nowhere with the original GT40 crowd, they are proud of their cars as they should be. But since all the post actual production GT40's are replicas/reproductions, Superformance seems to be the one closest to the mark for what the original experience must have been like. I'm good with that. So unless you want to run a $2M car willy nilly around the track in the pack of who knows who, (and I might some day) I guess this will do for now. All the reviews are good. But do your own homework. BTW, I've tried the GT40 Forum, it's a bit of a tangled mess over there since it's a big mash up of various replicas and guys trying all sorts of things. I'm just too green in their world to make much sense of it. But it sure sounds like they are having fun over there.

Last edited:

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
You know, I tried to think of something else that would be equally fun at the track in a similar price range. While there are a few cars that fit the bill, zero will have the same effect driving down the street or impressing the car show crowd. Personally I don’t think I have the nerve the push a GT40 around a race track (well maybe) but you’ll have fun no matter what you do with it. It’s only money.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^^^ I've lost a lot of sleep trying to solve the same equation. The only other thing that does for me is a FGT. For a while I was sure I would get a second GT and dedicate it to the track. Problem is that cars eventually end up with rash or worse. GT's are awesome on the track, maybe a bit heavy but are really pricy to fix. And they are just too nice a car to treat that way - except for the occasional track day or fun event. I've been doing a bit of that , I can't stop, I like it, people love the car, you're a hero where ever you, women throw panties at you, but it eats at the car bit by bit, and I refuse to drive a _________ (long list of popular track cars). The GT is here because of the GT40, and I'll just suck it up and build a fun GT40 and make lots of noise and new friends. ( I sat in a right hand drive -right sill shift yesterday and it felt pretty cool). Yes, it's only money, it's my time I want to make the most of.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
The gt40 r is pretty trick
The guy who builds them is in North Carolina
Make sure to get one with a fuel cell

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Dennis is a great guy and built mine. If you are considering a Superformance there isn't anyone else I'd even consider.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Dennis is a great guy and built mine. If you are considering a Superformance there isn't anyone else I'd even consider.

What was your final config; engine / gearbox , did you build an R or a std MkI or II? What did you learn along the way? What might you do different., bla , bla , bla...

right or left drive, shifter side? how about pics?

Luke Warmwater

Permanent Vacation
Jul 29, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
Click on the P2161 link. Mine was setup with a Roush 427R. It has an RBT transaxle. What would I do differently hmm. Not sure really. They are cars that you will tinker with and change some things to your own liking.

Wwabbit

GT Owner
Mar 21, 2012
Knoxville, TN
^^thanks

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
John ,
If you are going to track the car,get the R .It has a fuel cell and roll cage.
Ron

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yeah, that's the big thing that would scare me in the gt40, two huge tanks of fuel basically wrapped around your seat and the lack of crash technology they had back then. I'd be a little scared (probabley not scared enough to turn down the opportunity to drive one tho). Do whatever the Rocket recommends and be sure to post some pictures when you do!

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah, that's the big thing that would scare me in the gt40, two huge tanks of fuel basically wrapped around your seat and the lack of crash technology they had back then. I'd be a little scared (probabley not scared enough to turn down the opportunity to drive one tho). Do whatever the Rocket recommends and be sure to post some pictures when you do!

Get a fire extinguisher in your car. If you don't put your fire out you can squash a fire in a nearby house (re: Cosby's 200MPH).

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My previous one was flippant. But the reality is that a fire in a race car is something that the drivers live with as the risk of the trade. You don't put out your fire, the others coming by put yours out.