Super Snake Color Opinion

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Before I commit to big $$$ for a super snake conversion I would like evryones opinion on the mate black stripe on a black car. What do you guys think? Here's a picture of a computer generated black car with the mate stripe I got from Shelby;View attachment SuperSnake in Ebony Black.pdf

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
Jim,

I like it, as it seems subtle but nasty all at the same time. :thumbsup

JCE-GT (0187)

pe2unia

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
I am a huge fan of black vehicles:thumbsup I think the mate black stripe is awesome especially on a all black car (door handles, mirrors etc):eek I like it:thumbsup

Hammer

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 10, 2006
San Diego, CA
I like it! Sinister, serious, and ready to strike.

Gierkink

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 5, 2005
Wellington, FL
I really like this color scheme. Go for it!

I was also on the SuperSnake wait list however I declined after being unable to secure an answer to how many cars they're planning to build. I was only interested in getting a car if they committed to some reasonablle number of cars produced. Has Shelby given you an answer to this.

Rob

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Looks gorgeous.

One comment - would it be difficult to wax? If I remember the flat black hoods of yesteryear, if you got any wax on the flat black portion, it was very noticeable because it didn't wipe clear....though Jason would have a better answer/solution I'm sure.

...but damn it's schweet!

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I really like this color scheme. Go for it!

I was also on the SuperSnake wait list however I declined after being unable to secure an answer to how many cars they're planning to build. I was only interested in getting a car if they committed to some reasonablle number of cars produced. Has Shelby given you an answer to this.

Rob

Yes, they have committed to up tp 1000 pr. model year. They have around 700-2007s on the list and around 100-2008s on the list. So it may be less than the 1000 pr. year they were planning. This is the same amount they are planning for the KR. By the way, since those are sold through the dealer network we are hearing around $115,000 asking prices. If this holds true, the SS will be a better deal (less money, higher horse power, same 1000 copies made).

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
The December issue of Road & Track has a spread on the Super Snake starting on pg 60.

Dang! What a car!!!:eek

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Looks gorgeous.

One comment - would it be difficult to wax? If I remember the flat black hoods of yesteryear, if you got any wax on the flat black portion, it was very noticeable because it didn't wipe clear....though Jason would have a better answer/solution I'm sure.

...but damn it's schweet!

Good question on the waxing! Does anyone have any idea about this?

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
If it has "clear" on it like the rest of the car these days, I wouldn't think there'd be a pblm.

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
I don't think that Shelby will be clear coating the stripes. I know for sure it is just tape and like on my car, they will have to remove the existing stripes to put on the mate black. But, I will check with Shelby...somehow I don't think they will go through the trouble of clear coating over the new stripes:frown

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Going For It!

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the input for and against. I think I'm going for it! Mate Black on Black will look very "Vader Like". I'll send pictures when she's had her surgery. Probably by the end of summer next year I would guess.

Thanks Again!!!

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Okay, one last question and then I'll leave you guys alone.....Should I play it safe and stay with the 600hp or should I go for the 700 plus hp?

The clutch on the GT500 is pretty sloppy (it's not the FGT clutch). So I am a little worried about going over 700hp and loosing the warrantee.

The super snake package does not change the clutch. On the 720hp version they use a solid direct drive shaft.

What do you guys think? Play it safe or go crazy?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
Take another look at the pictures you shared.......the only possible answer is GO CRAZY! :willy

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
Looks awesome in that paint scheme. I bet a set of matte black stripes on a GT would similarly look really nice. Gives it a custom look.

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
Looks awesome in that paint scheme. I bet a set of matte black stripes on a GT would similarly look really nice. Gives it a custom look.

Well I hope you are right.....cause I just sent in the 10K Non-Refundable deposit! Now, I just need to decide if I loose the warranty and go for the 720HP. The clutch on the GT500 scares me! Plus 500hp now is pretty crazy, I would think 600hp would put it over the top as it is

SYCO GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 9, 2006
California
No doubt. It will look fantastic. Undecided on the warranty.

However, I think if you go safe, you probably will always wonder if you did the right thing...

Go crazy and never look back...

What's the price difference between the two choices?

jsalomon

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 20, 2006
Newport Beach, CA
No doubt. It will look fantastic. Undecided on the warranty.

However, I think if you go safe, you probably will always wonder if you did the right thing...

Go crazy and never look back...

What's the price difference between the two choices?

$4,000. Not too much when you consider the cost of the original package.

Silverbullitt

GT Owner
Mar 3, 2006
Lago Vista, TX
Worst case if you fry the clutch it is built like a regular car. Pull the tranny and upgrade the clutch when it goes.

timcantwell

Le Mans 2010 Sponsor * Moderator
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 22, 2006
N.E. OH & Naples, FL
Before I commit to big $$$ for a super snake conversion I would like evryones opinion on the mate black stripe on a black car. What do you guys think? Here's a picture of a computer generated black car with the mate stripe I got from Shelby;View attachment 4370

Did you consider a dark metallic silver/gray to add a bit more contrast? (However, I was told by John Walker at Shelby that they are only offering their own colors, i.e. black on the Super Snake, so you may be restricted on your choices.)