Sunday drive in Southern California

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
SteveA said:
If anyone is looking to remove the bumper do not use the supports from Ford as a starting point to cap off the holes. Make your own and save the OEM part. Ford is very proud of them at $1295 ea.

Any way of posting pics of what Ford offers to cap it then ? Why so damn expensive ? That could be a part that analogue designer or someone else could design and offer for sale.I'd buy a couple right away ! :thumbsup

wonkawonka

GT Owner
Sep 12, 2005
Lebanon
Where were you guys? The usual Mulholland to PCH?
Can't wait to get back to LALAland and share in the fun.

Neilda, you should take a trip to LA one of these days. You have to reassure yourself that our cars there are the same as yours in the UK. It's important for your health. Really.

:cheers

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Wonka, I'd love to come out to LA....

I've only ever been to New York, Purchase (upstate NY), Chicago and San Juan (which I don't think counts) and all of it on business only.

There's a whole heap of America I'd love to discover, I like the people, love Steely Dan, drive a GT and smoke Marlboros - heck, I'm almost American!!

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
SLF360 said:
Any way of posting pics of what Ford offers to cap it then ? Why so damn expensive ? That could be a part that analogue designer or someone else could design and offer for sale.I'd buy a couple right away ! :thumbsup

360, I called it a cap for lack of a better word.
What I am talking about are the two silver bumper "brackets" that slide into the frame rails the bumper bolts to. At first I was going to just cut them off flush, then weild and grind an end piece thus "capping" off the open or exposed end.
I was just smart enough to call the local dealer first to see what it will cost to replace them if I want or needed to re-hang the bumper.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Neil,

...roads full of GT's!!

I'd never seen one on the road before - and then to be driving behind another four up in the mountains - way cool!

California has a car culture that's to be seen to be believed - it also has awesome weather and the topography to really enjoy them. This weekend (asides from all the GTs and Shelbys) I spotted a Mercedes SLR, a 300SL, a couple of Murcielagos, a couple of Carrera GTs and a bazillion Ferraris/Bentleys/Astons - all of then moseying about their usual business and not at a car meet.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
So...we all rolling down south to Crystal Cove saturday odarkearly?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
Lemansz, I am up for it.
I just left a dyno shop that is done with a pully up-grade, Borla, delete cats and re-tune. The car sounds sick. (Good sick). The lack of cats is much louder than the Borla alone. The shop owner says he thinks the owner is going to take it to the "Cove" sat. so I will be there.
!
:thumbsup

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
LEMANSZ said:
So...we all rolling down south to Crystal Cove saturday odarkearly?

Odarkearly it is then....

satx

Aug 25, 2005
Dana Point
SteveA said:
360, I called it a cap for lack of a better word.
What I am talking about are the two silver bumper "brackets" that slide into the frame rails the bumper bolts to. At first I was going to just cut them off flush, then weild and grind an end piece thus "capping" off the open or exposed end.
I was just smart enough to call the local dealer first to see what it will cost to replace them if I want or needed to re-hang the bumper.

do you know the weight of the bumper and brackets? I'm curious as to the weight reduction for what will be typical mods. Bumper, exhaust, cat removal, etc.

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
what time do they arrive?

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The stock exhuast was just under60lbs :eek . I don't have a weight on the Borla but it is MUCH lighter. (No scale at the install). The bumper replacement "caps" were about a push. The bumper is about 25lbs. (Guess) I will weigh it tonight. My guess is it's about a 60+lb savings all in all.
It is always good to loose a little weight but I really like the look.
My dad and his partner bought GT40 #1060 from CS in 68. I have many pics of the car and from day one the bumper on my car just screamed at me :frown.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
LEMANSZ said:
what time do they arrive?

I got there a few weeks back at 8am and it was a sell out (no parking). So I'm thinking around 6 to 6:30am. There were 4 there including mine. Lots of very high end cars. F-40 & 50, 360's, 430,3 Lambo's, Carrera GT, sixties muscle etc. :thumbsup

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
allrighty then...0630...whats the off ramp again off the 5...?Alicia Pkway?

SB Lightning

Feb 7, 2006
Santa Barbara, CA
Hey have any of you guys been the Santa Barbara? I've seen one GT and my dad and friends have seen a couple. I believe they've seen Black with i'm not sure if grey or white stripes and a white with blue stripes. Any of you guys? I was just seeing if it was any one of you guys.

BTW - you all are driving my dream car!!

LEMANSZ

Gt Owner
Jan 11, 2006
SoCal
Keep Saving Your Schekles

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
The bumper is only 15.5lbs. (gonna help uh bunch if ya get tagged :bored) Hardware etc. is just under 8lbs. The stock exhuast is 57.5lbs. :frown

1of19(GER)

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
Germany
SLF360 said:
I found a picture of the GT without bumper.
One of the cars shipped to Europe

Attachments

• GT without bumper 001.jpg
    GT without bumper 001.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 201

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
One of 19 (GER) said:
I found a picture of the GT without bumper.
One of the cars shipped to Europe

Holy Sh*t !!!
That's 1 of 19's car !!! After his hard full blast nightrides on the Autobahn he must have ignited the backside and charcoaled it. man, I'm so sorry. Now I understand what happened, finally. The exhaust really does get hot (we all see the tanned license plates), one better makes sure there is nothing too close to melt or start a fire issue when riding hard. Wow, what a shocker for our Blasthero... Hope you tell us how Ford dealt with that story. Mike (abolfaz) will be less concerned with the halfshafts, when looking at that backside here...

stefan

SLF360

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Or am I wrong, and it is just a wrapped up one, not yet out of foil at ROUSH at Nuerburgring :rofl ?

abolfaz

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 11, 2006
Coral Gables
SLF360 said:
Mike (abolfaz) will be less concerned with the halfshafts, when looking at that backside here...

stefan

At least I can look at it in pictures...