Summer Finance Internship

charleybeck

Nov 20, 2007
Howdy Y'all,

Long time no see, I hope that you are all doing well. Most of you haven't seen or heard from me since the GT rallies in Vegas or California and I would fill you all in on my life details, but knowing my father, I am certain that you are all some what if not completely up to date on my ventures. In short, I graduated high school and moved to Texas. I am now a junior finance major at Texas A&M University. I am looking for a finance oriented internship this summer. I worked for Ray Hofman, God rest his soul, two summers ago and it was one of the best and most invaluable experiences of my life. If anyone here is looking for an intern this summer or could refer me to someone that might, I would be extremely grateful. I will travel anywhere in the world to go work so I am not limited to Texas & Arizona. I have attached a link to my resume below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1geM5s5faTsV1laYlg1ZXZFR0U/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks & Gig em' from College Station, TX. :thumbsup

Charley Beck

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Charley,

Competition for paid Finance Internships is pretty tough. Its considered very late in season as most Fortune 500 Financial Firms (Banks, Brokerages, Insurers, etc) start their Intern recruiting process in Jan; have interviews around March and make offers April 1.

Best bet at this stage is to target the local offices (see web sites with zip code office loactor) of the major investment brokerage houses as they have thousands of Advisors that hire college students for the summer. This will involve "cold calling" the branch managers office to ask if they have a "formal summer intern program" for that office and going down the list of each advisors' Tel , email, and snail mail to get your resume in their hand and ask them to hire you.

Some of these internships are paid and others are not; but may be eligible for academic credit if you get a college Professor to approve it as an Independent Study and write a report or Case Study on it after the summer.

Its still a great experience, and you will meet many successful people, be exposed to the markets, attend client meetings and industry conferences and learn to function in a corporate environment.

Prepare to call about 250-500 people before you get an offer. It can be done.

Last edited:

charleybeck

Nov 20, 2007
I've been working different firms since November, but I'll keep at it until I get what I'm looking for.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it requires effort, pain, and difficulty… I have never envied a man who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.” - Teddy Roosevelt

CH53Driver

Shelby GT500 owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 20, 2008
Arkansas.
Charley,

First off, good luck on your endeavors. I did a cursory glance of your resume and I did catch a few things I would change. I am by no means a professional resume writer so others may chime in and make different suggestions.

The first thing I noticed was the use of several acronyms. Unless you are targeting a select audience that will understand every and all acronyms listed on the resume I would probably spell them out in the first mention of the subject followed with acronyms if used repeatedly throughout the resume. Major acronyms like CEO/CFO can probably be left as is but some of the more job specific acronyms I would spell out initially.

Also, under your Senator Jeff Flake section the last bullet ends with "to the healthcare…"? I'm assuming healthcare law was the intended ending of this bullet? Maybe something like "…from immigration to healthcare issues" or "healthcare legislation".

One last opinion. I have always been told under the section "Interests and activities" to keep it as apolitical as possible. There are many who may not share your aspirations to be the next Robert Ruark so if it were me, I would be careful in how I selected my interests and activities that you will list to a gazillion strangers. I'm not saying lie or not be yourself, but sometimes apolitical and restraint with subjects that could be "controversial" are in my opinion the best avenue of approach until you get to know the people you are dealing with. Of course, other people may say I am wrong and that my advice is poor but that is just how I feel.

Otherwise the format looks great and I do wish you the best. It can be a hard market out there so don't take anything personal. That was the hardest thing I had to cope with coming out of the military, to not take rejection as personal. ;)

Last edited:

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
I would also register at Corvette Forum and post in Off-Topic

That forums is in Top 10 Alexa rankings and will get seen by larger audience

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
I run an investment management business. Email me your resume and a letter of interest to dbrown@vcm.com

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
I run an investment management business. Email me your resume and a letter of interest to dbrown@vcm.com

Any relation to the David Brown of Aston Martin fame?

david b

GT Owner
Jun 10, 2010
cleveland ohio
no. dont know if that is good or bad:_)

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

steved57

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 29, 2008
kilgore tx
Charlie - please send me your email address

charleybeck

Nov 20, 2007
David- I will get that to you today, thank you very much.
Steve - CharleyLBeck@gmail.com

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006

GTHunter

GT Owner
Feb 14, 2012
Houston, TX
Charley:

Wish I had known much earlier. We made our intern hire determination earlier in the year. You would think that with all we have going on in energy that Dallas and Houston would have more of these opportunities, but that just does not seem to be the case. I will keep an eye out here in Houston.

donnymac

Defered Ajudication
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 26, 2008
West Texas
Charley there are sometimes late job openings. I would make sure both the Business School and the Career Center have your résumé. I would also run a trap at the Bush School....long shot there but maybe worth a shot. Also let your profs know as Former Students will sometimes run that approach when looking for summer help. That is what I do on the Geo/Pet E side. Profs know the students better than anyone! Good luck!