Subwoofer rattle?

dealmaker

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
England
I don't often have the stereo on but sometimes a nice soundtrack to a quick drive is nice!

Problem is I need to crank it up to hear it!........and the subwoofer seems to be rattling badly - not at silly levels - just moderate volume.

Is this something anyone else has experienced??

Hopefully it's just a loose mounting screw...but if it's a blown driver - anyone know approximate replacement cost.......or could I replace it with a generic unit from one of the larger car audio brands? (and get a better unit into the bargain?)

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
I don't often have the stereo on but sometimes a nice soundtrack to a quick drive is nice!

Problem is I need to crank it up to hear it!........and the subwoofer seems to be rattling badly - not at silly levels - just moderate volume.

Is this something anyone else has experienced??

Hopefully it's just a loose mounting screw...but if it's a blown driver - anyone know approximate replacement cost.......or could I replace it with a generic unit from one of the larger car audio brands? (and get a better unit into the bargain?)

I doubt if a corrent after market replacement would be easy to find. The driver is unque in that it is a ported design with the port coming out of the center of the driver.

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
I know a number of members have installed Shadowman's speaker system. When they do this I think they use a diferent speaker. Possibly, some of those members or Shadowman might know how to get a spare. (assuming that is the problem).

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
When they do this I think they use a diferent speaker.

Nope. Simply re-mount the OEM sub into the new enclosure.

Aug 25, 2006
Because of the speaker design if the enclosure has a significant leak it was allow the speaker to rattle

If I can help let me know

Takes care

Shadowman

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
Nope. Simply re-mount the OEM sub into the new enclosure.

:thumbsup good to know. I may eventually do this upgrade. Shadowman is currently doing a wonderful upgrade and service to my gal.

GTED

GT Owner
Apr 4, 2006
I noticed a minor rattle when I turned the volume to say half way a month ago. I mentioned that to the dealer's tech as part of my "pre-warranty experation inspection", within 2 hours the service manager called and said Ford will replace it under warrant..... Good thing because the dealer said it would have cost me a little more than $800 for the sub.

GTED

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
If the sub is not VERY TIGHTLY SEALED it will rattle VERY VERY bad even at low volume. This is more than likely your problem.

jaxgt

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 12, 2006
Also - if not tightly sealed, sometimes the cone of the speaker sticks a bit. Make sure it is moving freely when you tighten it all down.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The sub speaker was made by Fossgate.