Subwoofer enclosures

Aug 25, 2006
For reference this thread is ties in principal to the "If you like the OEM subwoofer location do not read this thread"

I have opened a new thread only for the purpose of keeping a handle on the potential of having Ash fabricate the enclosures. If after you review the pictures and text decide that this is something you would like please indicate so in this thread so I can compile the names and then move the process forward.

No worries whether this is something that you want to do or not; these are awesome gals and for some this is simple a finishing touch.

Once the list of folks that want the enclosures is known the means to move funds will be dealt with and then the actual process time to complete the enclosures (I am told) will be a week and yet I would rather say less than two weeks so as to afford Ash a bit of breathing room.

Takes care

Shadowman

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bill-

I am in for one. Thanks.

-Chris

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
I'm in as well .....

Aug 25, 2006
Out of respect I contacted DBK; the prinicipal of this board to make sure he was comfortable with the process underway. He has no problem with it.

As such here is where we are;

I show the following folks commited to the subwoofer enclosures

1. ACRJoe
2. Florida Chris
3. Steve A
4. Gene Cassone
5. Craig

The target number is 10 and as shared Ash has made it clear that this wil be a one time run; no singles at a latter date so if this is the piece you want please let me know ASAP so I can get the enclosures into the proverbial "Q".

Lastly; those that have commited to the process please PM me once again and I will share how and where to send funds.

Takes care

Shadowman

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
I'm in

Shadowman,
I will take one as well.
Thanks
Don

Aug 25, 2006
"I edited a portion of this reply because there is no longer the need for the shipping and contact information. If there are those with questions please PM either ACRJoe or myself; thank you"

I have received several PM's however for whatever reason I have been able to open and read them but not able to reply. I think I maybe having a server issue or ?? on this end.

I will attempt to reply to all later today or in the morning.

I gave Ash the "thumbs up" as such he is purchasing the materials and will be ready to fabricate the enclosures once all of the funds have been received.

I also received a question about the blank panels; these are "NOT" an OEM panel but rather .075 aluminum that simply slide into the OEM lip in the bulkhead with "NO" modification and then are secured into place with the OEM bolt holes. I will furnish the measurements and the exact hole placements as well. In addition to the two panels you will need to purchase two 1 1/4" long 10mm 150 pitch bolts with a standard 6 sided head (these will replace the two OEM TORX presently securing the child safelty restraint bracket and two 3/4" long 6mm 1.0 pitch bolts (these will replace the two lower plastic knobs which will be relocated). These bolts are available at any hardware store. BTW the two 6mm bolts are the same bolts as used for the center console so if you prefer you can order #16163 bolts from the dealer as well. This is a subjective issue.

You are all in for a treat

Hopefully doing this does not offend anybody.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
For those of you that intend to perform this mod, I would encourage you to now step up to the plate. A tremendous amount of time and effort went into the design and it works and looks like OEM. Many of you have expressed displeasure with the MAC setup; the ability to purchase a custom speaker enclosure makes the job aesthetically and functionally perfect, so get off the fence, make the commitment and never look back. This is an outstanding "one-time" opportunity to rid yourself of the Mac amp/sub and do so in OEM-like fashion for a most economical price. BTW, I got a price of $5,000 from Unique Motors (Whips) in NYC to do what essentially will cost you ~$500 plus your time.

SteveA

GT Owner/B.O.D
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 13, 2005
Sandpoint Id
ACRJoe said:
For those of you that intend to perform this mod, I would encourage you to now step up to the plate. A tremendous amount of time and effort went into the design and it works and looks like OEM. Many of you have expressed displeasure with the MAC setup; the ability to purchase a custom speaker enclosure makes the job aesthetically and functionally perfect, so get off the fence, make the commitment and never look back. This is an outstanding "one-time" opportunity to rid yourself of the Mac amp/sub and do so in OEM-like fashion for a most economical price. BTW, I got a price of $5,000 from Unique Motors (Whips) in NYC to do what essentially will cost you ~$500 plus your time.

Yeah, but you cudda been famous!

Aug 25, 2006
Not meaning to drag this issue on however as I mentioned yesterday; based on the posted orders and the PM's received I had Ash order the materials for the enclosures and he is allocating his time to be able to make the completion of this process at the top of his "To Do" list. I have 6 confirmed and two interested at this time.

As such I ask that all funds be forwarded ASAP because it will be based on those funds received that the enclousres will ne fabrciated. There will be no shelf stock produced. Ash would like to begin the fabrication process the middle/end of next week.

If you have any question please ask either myself or ACRJoe for he has already completed the conversion as well.

FYI; ACRJoe kindly shipped his subwoofer out to be used for the final recessed fitting and the predrilling of the holes so that the installation process remains easy for all involved.

Takes care

Shadwoman

funat50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Oct 1, 2006
Greensboro NC - IOP, SC
OEM Sub

Do you have pix of the console post mod, didn't see one? Also, are there any other parts needed to make the console look finished once the sub is moved or does it fit over a non-mac finished console?

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
My check went out today UPS second day air.

Thanks, Chris :thumbsup

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
funat50 said:
Do you have pix of the console post mod, didn't see one? Also, are there any other parts needed to make the console look finished once the sub is moved or does it fit over a non-mac finished console?
You will need to order the OEM non-Mac panel as shown in the attached photos. List price is ~$1,700.

Last edited:

Gene Cassone

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 3, 2005
way upstate NY
funds going out today, thanks
Gene

Tungsten

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 22, 2006
Atlanta
On my way

Headed to Fed Ex this morning....Don

Craig

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Mar 14, 2006
San Diego
Check's in the mail

:wink Fed Ex actually....next day.

Thanks,

Craig

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA
Sent the check and Mac sub out today via UPS.

Beach-GT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 8, 2006
Seminole Florida
Enclosure

The enclosures are not very large and yet they need to be insured and will be return shipped by FedEx air rather than ground.

What are they constructed with? How is the Mac Amp mounted behind the driver's seat. I found the mating connectors for the sub cable from Molex so you don't have to disturb the original wiring to make an extension cord. :thumbsup

Aug 25, 2006
Beach-GT said:
The enclosures are not very large and yet they need to be insured and will be return shipped by FedEx air rather than ground.

What are they constructed with? How is the Mac Amp mounted behind the driver's seat. I found the mating connectors for the sub cable from Molex so you don't have to disturb the original wiring to make an extension cord. :thumbsup

I am sorry for the delayed response.

First of all the means of shipping was more important to me when compared to the insurance. FedEx ground has all of the boxes tossed on pallets and slowly move around the country in trucks whereas the air division tends to handle things a bit differently furthermore you "CAN" track and locate air packages whereas the ground service is a crap shoot at best.

The enclosure is fabricated (I think) out of particle board and then sealed on the inside with fiberglass.

As for the installation process it is very easy and in the other threads the process was discussed by both myself and ACRJoe. Take a few minutes and read the original threads and if you still have questions please let me or ACRJoe know and best efforts will be made to answer them.

Takes care

Shadowman

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2006
Monday 11-13-06 UPDATE

At this time the following funds have been received or confirmed in route;

1. Steve A
2. Florida Chris
3. Craig
4. John E (user name unknown; pleased let me know)
5. Tungsten
6. Gene Cassone
7. ACRJoe
8. RSR1975
9. Cyclenirvana
10. Jason B.
11.Wm. M aka BJ .....in route

In addition I have received several PM's to which I have attempted to answer the questions and also to make clear that "IF" this is something that you want the checks "NEED" to be in the hands of FedEx or UPS (NO STANDARD MAIL) come Monday or Tuesday with delivery here by late on Wednesday because it will be be based solely on those funds received that the enclosure fabrication will begin which is slated for the end of the week with the process to be completed within approximately a week (per Ash) however respectfully I asked all to give him a little breathing room so all along I have said 2 weeks.

Anyone who's name is not mentioned that has sent funds or intends to please let me know so I can update Ash as well.

Once again; these enclosures are not going to be available as a single unit purchase after this run is completed so if you think that this this is something you would like to do even at a future date this is a key piece to make the process easy.

Darn; I feel a bit like a wagon peddler and yet I have made it clear that I have no material interest in this process; if anything it is a time drain for me and yet I have remained diligent about the conversion because (IMO) it is a wonderful finishing touch that can done by anyone with basic hand tools in the matter of a few hours and if one ever wants to return their gal to the original subwoofer style it can be done just as easy.

Thank you

Regards

Shadowman

Last edited:

ViperJoe

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 17, 2006
Washington Crossing, PA