Stripe/Stripe Delete Question

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Lake Las Vegas, Henderson, NV
I see people posting from time to time about looking for a stripe delete GT. And while I have stripes, I agree that the stripe delete cars have a very cool look, especially the ones I have seen in black.

My question is that it seems important to some people looking to buy that the car came from the factory without stripes. Does it affect value in some way if someone takes the stripes off themselves (I have seen several posts stating it is not too difficult to remove them) rather than buying a GT that originally came from the factory without them? Are they a bit more desirable if it can be proven that they came from the factory without stripes?

Just curious....:cheers

OCPETE

GT Owner
Nov 20, 2006
Killer Dana, CA
Paint stripes = Forget it
Door trim = replaceable
:biggrin

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
The center stripes are all painted on and can't be removed. To make your car a stipe delete, you would have to repaint it. The side stripes are vinyl stick-on and can be removed easily with some patience and a hairdrier. They can also be easily re-installed with the proper vinly tape. StormCat had some custom side stripes made similar to a Carrera that look pretty trick. Generally, there were much fewer stripe-delete cars produced making them rarer. Everyone knows RED cars are the best.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
In a future concours 40 years from now, it might be important to show the original build information - & to have the car in the same condition as the original build. As far as resale value, I would vote no, it would make no difference - as today's prices are more likely to be a person obtaining his desired configuration, and willing to come to terms with the proferred amount. Since the "delete" option was a no charge option, it would not currently add to the value of the car. The "Heritage" option was about $13K, and thus adds to the presumed value.

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
You can not remove the TOP STRIPES without a repaint. They are painted on. Side stripes are just stickers and dont really matter.

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
As always thanks for the information guys. I went out to take a quick dip in the jacuzzi and told my wife the over/under for an answer to my question was less than five minutes. :lol

I was looking at the top stripes when I was wiping my girl down today after a drive and as you all know they are slightly raised...so I thought they were vinyl also. How do they raise the paint like that?? :confused More layers. Also why go with vinyl on the sides? Because they are more likely to need to be replaced from rock chips?

Well, five months in and I still have a lot to learn. Got an appointment in a September for a pulley/tune so I am getting sucked in deeper into the game. This place is not a good influence on me :wink

:cheers

soroush

Ford Gt Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 8, 2007
As always thanks for the information guys. I went out to take a quick dip in the jacuzzi and told my wife the over/under for an answer to my question was less than five minutes. :lol

I was looking at the top stripes when I was wiping my girl down today after a drive and as you all know they are slightly raised...so I thought they were vinyl also. How do they raise the paint like that?? :confused More layers. Also why go with vinyl on the sides? Because they are more likely to need to be replaced from rock chips?

Well, five months in and I still have a lot to learn. Got an appointment in a September for a pulley/tune so I am getting sucked in deeper into the game. This place is not a good influence on me :wink

ever since I found this site, I have found that I spend too much time on the computer.:wink I agree this is a bad influence:wink

PeakCompletions

Boost is an addiction...
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 6, 2007
West Texas
It is good to be bad :banana

can't ask for a better place to hang out than this forum :cheers

Congrats on the pulley and tune!! You will love it.

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina

Thats how it all starts! :cheers

shelbyelite

PERMANENTLY BANNED
May 10, 2007
Reason the top stripes feel raised is they are painted LAST after the entire car has had the primary color painted and clear coated. They are painted on TOP of the base coat and clear coat thus making them raised.

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
The tape side stripe delete was a no charge "option" but the "over the top" painted stripes were a $5k option.... As for value who knows. One will spend what ever for the car they want. I have a no top stripe so I am biased to a stripe delete......

Since the "delete" option was a no charge option, it would not currently add to the value of the car. The "Heritage" option was about $13K, and thus adds to the presumed value.

JCE-GT

GT Owner
Nov 22, 2006
Mission Viejo, CA
The tape side stripe delete was a no charge "option" but the "over the top" painted stripes were a $5k option.... As for value who knows. One will spend what ever for the car they want. I have a no top stripe so I am biased to a stripe delete......

Further clarification and even more specificities,....

As both Spaceracer and Ralphie have stated, the "stripe delete" (aka body side tape delete - Mfg code 97D) was a no cost option, and the Painted Racing Stripes (Mfg code 97P) which were the painted stripes on hood, roof, and rear hatch (aka clamshell) were an option running to the tune of $5,350.00 MSRP. The really odd thing is,... that on Ford Dealer Pricing Documentation if a Vehicle Order was placed with the optional "Painted" Racing Stripes" (Mfg code 97P) the car was to have come with "painted Bodyside GT Logo Stripes replacing the standard tape stripes. As far as I am aware, there wasn't even one car produced in either 2005 or 2006 MY that actually had the Bodyside GT Logo Stripe painted on the car.
Maybe the reason that the Racing Strips were a $5,350.00 option was to cover some of that addtional labor to actually have the side stripes painted on.:willy Any additional thoughts here? :confused

But who really cares, as the car is a dream come true.:thumbsup

JCE-GT Tungsten Gray - 0187

SFLGT

Dec 29, 2007
FtLauderdale,Florida
I have also noticed that the strip option for the side did read "painted" as well as the painted roof strips. Maybe the original plan was to paint them as well. I have an black car with top and side strip delete in the shop now and It does look awesome. I am normaly a pro strip guy, but wow it looks good.

RALPHIE

GT Owner
Mar 1, 2007
Correct - All the documentation I have ever seen indicated that the "Painted Racing Stripes" option defined as:

Painted over hood, roof, rear hatch and painted bodyside "FORD GT" Logo Stripes (Optional) - at a MSRP of $5,350.00

The other two choices were:

Bodyside "FORD GT" Logo Vinyl Tape Strips (Standard)

Delete Bodyside "FORD GT" Logo Vinyl Tape Strips (Optional at no cost)

Yet, I have never seen (nor do I believe any were produced) any GT's with painted bodyside "FORD GT"Logo Stripes.

Yet, in some respects, it may be better to have the vinyl stripes there, for it would be far more costly to have repainting done on the rocker panels (which can get chipped from stones off the front tires) than to have to replace the vinyl stripes.

Last edited:

skyrex

FORD GT OWNER
Mark II Lifetime
Apr 11, 2008
Yet, in some respects, it may be better to have the vinyl stripes there, for it would be far more costly to have repainting done on the rocker panels (which can get chipped from stones off the front tires) than to have to replace the vinyl stripes.

Very interesting that the side stripes were supposed to be painted, but went vinyl. I really don't care whether the side stripes are vinyl or not, but it is always cool to find out the story behind the decisions/aspects of the car. :thumbsup

ever since I found this site, I have found that I spend too much time on the computer.:wink I agree this is a bad influence:wink

Originally I was going to get the GT as a "summer adventure" car. Have a couple fun road trips, have the experience, then move her on to the next person and sell it in the fall. But the closer I came to selling (and I came pretty close :eek) I realized I was really enjoying myself, both on the road and on the Forum. In the end I decided that instead of selling and getting another one down the road the only right answer was to keep her and wade further into this awesome community and culture. :biggrin
I am very afraid now. :rofl:lol:rofl

Reason the top stripes feel raised is they are painted LAST after the entire car has had the primary color painted and clear coated. They are painted on TOP of the base coat and clear coat thus making them raised.

I love the top stripes, they look great. Interesting process. Thanks again to everyone for the info. Definitely delving further into the deep end. :cheers

GTNJ

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 21, 2006
State of Confusion

Keeps us out of trouble. :lol