Straping down the GT

H

HHGT

Is straping down the GT in a covered trailer using the BBS wheels a bad idea. Starping to the frame may be tight.

Any suggestions or Pictured will be truly helpful.

Sam

CanuckGT

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 21, 2005
Victoria B.C., Canada
Strapping Down the GT

There is a good thread for you with some photos under the Tech Topics sticky on trailer tie downs. This link should get you there: http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839

B O N Y

MODERATOR & FGT OWNER
Mark IV Lifetime
Sep 5, 2005
Fresno, Ca.
Plain and simple, Ford urges that the car be held in place strapping down all 4 wheels and tires with basket tie downs that cover each wheel tire combo. There is a diagram card that comes with every new GT showing how this should be done. Good luck

Last edited:

gamera11

GT Owner
Aug 30, 2006
Kansas City MO
wheel basket tie down choices

Has anybody actually purchased any wheel basket tie down straps ? I have been checking out various company's and wonder if anyone could recommend a brand or company? I do not have E track in the floor but figure I will have to install some or at least add some recessed anchor loops in the floor as the only straps I have seen have been the type that hooks right in front and directly behind the tire. I thought I had seen a illustration of a type that has the wheel basket and then just one strap pulling it but I have yet to find a strap like that for sale. Any help would be appreciated.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
There are some old posts about this and where to get them. 427 Aggie had some good ones. By the way, the Ford engineers at the rally recommended not leaving the car in gear OR using the parking break during transport.

427Aggie

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Aug 18, 2005
Frisco, Tx
I believe that the problem is the aluminum A Arms..thats the reason for not strapping to them.

S-Line in Texas has basket tie downs and also made me a custom set. Rich Lacey, who brought our cars to Detroit for us, had some nice baskets that worked really really well. His website is www.rct1966.com you might send him an email and see where he got them.

I have seen several people that in a crunch tie them down with criss cross through the rims but you run the risk of scratching the rims.

This also goes back to doing a dyno pull on the car...you must take the pans off to get to the frame in order to tie it down to the Dyno...unless someone has a different way which I am open to hear.

matt

xraygt

GT Owner
Sep 10, 2006
tractor supply company has wheel basket tie downs for about $35.00 each

FlorIdaho Chris

Yeah, I've got one.
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
427Aggie said:
I believe that the problem is the aluminum A Arms..thats the reason for not strapping to them.

S-Line in Texas has basket tie downs and also made me a custom set. Rich Lacey, who brought our cars to Detroit for us, had some nice baskets that worked really really well. His website is www.rct1966.com you might send him an email and see where he got them.

I have seen several people that in a crunch tie them down with criss cross through the rims but you run the risk of scratching the rims.

This also goes back to doing a dyno pull on the car...you must take the pans off to get to the frame in order to tie it down to the Dyno...unless someone has a different way which I am open to hear.

matt

I sent an email to Rich per your suggestion. Here is his response:

"Chris, I purchase all my straps from MAC's. All their info can be found at www.macscustomtiedowns.com. They have the correct size for the GT. I also suggest the E-track idler fitting which makes life a lot easier! Hope this helps, Thanks, Richard Lacy"

Here is a link to the strap I believe he is recommending:

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=373

FB GT40

GT Owner/B.o.D
Mark IV Lifetime
May 30, 2006
Folly Beach, SC
Tie downs.

I have used M & R Products for years. Good products, fair prices and a knowledgeable staff. Made a custom set for my GT. They can make to order so the set fits your trailer.

Visit them at: http://www.mrproducts.com

Gordo.

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Tie downs

I too use Mac's. They make a very good kit for low ground clearance vehicles. Works with race cars, low riders and GT's. Nice folks to deal with. Jeff

Specracer

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Nov 28, 2005
MA
Going to the rally I went through the wheels, and used a LOT of clean towels, no scratches, but a PITA. E track and baskets would be the best. I only have D rings, so the baskets are tricky as to not rub the car. Some day might convert and add the e-track, if I find I trailer the car more than once a year.......