Strange Electrical Problem

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah. Curious minds want to know. Was it the trunk?

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
I thought this place was all about "car guys and car girls"!
My Best,
Mark

mmlcobra

GT Owner
May 25, 2013
Please let us know.

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Cripes, are we all doctors or lawyers here?

Indian chief here.

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Interesting thread! To address one of the issues, I find this forum to be fabulous, and with very very few exceptions, everyone I've met from it are all gentlemen and scholars (even Dr Frank!) it's weird, you get impressions of people from their posts, and think "wow, what a butt-hole that guy is", then you meet them and they're really nice! As somone has already noted, written words don't always convey stuff accurately

Regarding the second issue (oh yeah, the electrical thing) a couple of years ago my GT would engage the starter motor everytime I depressed the clutch pedal -go figure! I posted about it, someone tersely suggested disconnecting the battery for ten minutes. Tried it and, problem solved - if nothing else works, give it a try. Maybe Bill Gates was involved in designing the electrical system?

DakotaGT

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 9, 2012
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Indian chief here.

Ahhh. So the shoes are a tribal thing. :)

hydouken

GT Owner
May 16, 2011

Had more time to play with the car today and here is what is going on more in detail.
The trunk not being shut properly was not the problem and did not resolve my issue.
Here is what the car is doing.

1- when the headlight switch is turned on and wiper switch is turn off. The wiper arms move slowly/jerky across the windshield. Like it doesn't have enough power?

2- also the passenger side headlight is flickering and not turning on correctly, the driver side headlight turns on normally.

3- when the headlight switch is turned off and the wiper switch is turned on, nothing happens.

Frustrated to say the least......anything anyone can think of that I can look for?

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
I experienced similar issues including the car simply stalling out at a light, one brake light staying lit, and some other strange things. The issue was was a poor connection of the ground strap from the battery at the chassis.

Fix: Find your battery and disconnect ground strap from chassis. Take some sandpaper and sand away the black paint from the chassis at the ground strap connection point. It wouldn't hurt to also do the same to the connection point of the strap. Re-connect and you should be fine.

I posted this fix several times here on the Forum as well as providing in one-on-one discussions with FGT owners at events.

Now let me give credit where credit is due ---> Shadowman was kind enough to be the original provider of this fix to me back in '06.

hydouken

GT Owner
May 16, 2011
I experienced similar issues including the car simply stalling out at a light, one brake light staying lit, and some other strange things. The issue was was a poor connection of the ground strap from the battery at the chassis.

Fix: Find your battery and disconnect ground strap from chassis. Take some sandpaper and sand away the black paint from the chassis at the ground strap connection point. It wouldn't hurt to also do the same to the connection point of the strap. Re-connect and you should be fine.

I posted this fix several times here on the Forum as well as providing in one-on-one discussions with FGT owners at events.

Now let me give credit where credit is due ---> Shadowman was kind enough to be the original provider of this fix to me back in '06.
Do you have a picture of this ground strap location? Or is it just simply following the negative battery terminal from the battery until it hits the chassis?
Thanks for all the help

twobjshelbys

GT Owner
Jul 26, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Do you have a picture of this ground strap location? Or is it just simply following the negative battery terminal from the battery until it hits the chassis?
Thanks for all the help

Just follow it, it's pretty short. It is a "stand on your head" kind of place though. Do get some fender guards when you dive in.

Kingman

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 11, 2006
Surf City, USA
You have to take out the trunk tray (Note: grab a zip lock bag to store the trunk tray plastic holders) which is easy. The battery is located in the nose of the car. The strap is less than a foot long. It will take you less than 15 minutes.

BTW -

[video=youtube;VXD8yOxIPB0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXD8yOxIPB0[/video]

hydouken

GT Owner
May 16, 2011
Just follow it, it's pretty short. It is a "stand on your head" kind of place though. Do get some fender guards when you dive in.

I will give you guys an update this weekend when I get back to the car.
Thanks

hydouken

GT Owner
May 16, 2011
Ok guys I finally had time to actualy work on the car.
And here are the results................dun dun dun!

hydouken

GT Owner
May 16, 2011
It was a loose ground cable going from the battery to the chassis.
Now the headlights work perfectly.
But the wiper still doesnt function properly because the wiper motor was damaged due to the loose ground connection.
I will order a new wiper motor and everything should be back to normal.
Thanks for everyones input and help!

Xcentric

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 9, 2012
Myakka City, Florida
Ah! I believe this is where this wild thread started. Glad you got it sorted.

SMOKDU

GT Owner
Dec 17, 2011
Now the headlights work perfectly.
But the wiper still doesnt function properly because the wiper motor was damaged due to the loose ground connection.
I will order a new wiper motor and everything should be back to normal.
Thanks for everyones input and help!

Congrats and I thought it was the blinker fluid the whole time.:lol

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas

Do I win a prize?

Glad you got it worked out.