Strange clicking sound at slow speed...

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience:

I have a metallic irregular clicking sound at very slow speed. It only occurs when in gear and under gentle acceleration (or deceleration). It seems to originate from the passenger side - somewhere aft of the engine. I'm unable to hear the noise with the windows closed.

I had the tires changed recently and while it was jacked up I had a good grope around the half shaft - no joy.

I've also tried walking beside the car with the clam shell open and trying to locate the prob - no joy - I can occasionally hear it - but not sufficiently well to locate the source.

I took it to my dealer and took a drive with the service manger - he had no idea. So I need to schedule another trip and am looking to see it someone has had a similar issue.

Many thanks,

Carl

Kayvan

GT Owner
Jul 13, 2006
Sounds like you have "Neutral gear rollover noise"....common with racing transaxles/vipers etc . Your comment that occasionally you heard it outside car & n/a w/windows closed confirms this, as this rotary sounds somewhat cycles.

Other metallic noises are termed a "rattlesnake".... (search forum) i hear this once in a while and think its high frequencey feedback from miss-timed revs in up/down shifting in transaxle.

others have louder snakes....

....I dont want to hear about bigger snakes!

M

Mark O

Hi Guys,

I have a metallic irregular clicking sound at very slow speed. It only occurs when in gear and under gentle acceleration (or deceleration).

I hear noises when my moves under acceleration & deceleration, but then again, I've been told that I have rocks in my head.

Last edited:

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Sounds like you have "Neutral gear rollover noise"....common with racing transaxles/vipers etc . Your comment that occasionally you heard it outside car & n/a w/windows closed confirms this, as this rotary sounds somewhat cycles.

Other metallic noises are termed a "rattlesnake".... (search forum) i hear this once in a while and think its high frequencey feedback from miss-timed revs in up/down shifting in transaxle.

others have louder snakes....

....I dont want to hear about bigger snakes!

I do not think that it is this as it only occurs when I am in gear with the clutch fully engaged. And at very very low speeds - ie walking pace. It started fairly recently after about 12,000 miles.

STORMCAT

GT
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
May 25, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Hi Guys,

I have a metallic irregular clicking sound at very slow speed. It only occurs when in gear and under gentle acceleration (or deceleration). It seems to originate from the passenger side - somewhere aft of the engine. I'm unable to hear the noise with the windows closed.

I had the tires changed recently and while it was jacked up I had a good grope around the half shaft - no joy.

I've also tried walking beside the car with the clam shell open and trying to locate the prob - no joy - I can occasionally hear it - but not sufficiently well to locate the source.

I took it to my dealer and took a drive with the service manger - he had no idea. So I need to schedule another trip and am looking to see it someone has had a similar issue.

Many thanks,

Carl

Carl,
Abolfaz had a rattle snake clicking metalic noise. Something to do with the oil pump or a valve in the oil pumping system. You could PM him for more details..

MAD IN NC

Proud Owner/ BOD blah bla
Mark IV Lifetime
Feb 14, 2006
North Carolina
Carl,
Abolfaz had a rattle snake clicking metalic noise. Something to do with the oil pump or a valve in the oil pumping system. You could PM him for more details..

No it was me but it only happened at 2,000 RPM..... Karl's problem is slow rolling as I hear it?

jamie

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 23, 2005
Virginia
The rattlesnake noises come from some tubing that runs in the engine bay next to the firewall, I just tie wrapped mine up tight and it fixed the problem.
I actually read on this site where the noise came from and they were right!

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Hi guys,

A quick update. I just got her back from the dealer. It took the guys ten days to track down but my clicking/creaking noise was ultimately traced to the half shaft and was cured by replacing it.

Carl.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
Hi Carl - great news that they fixed it.

Did they tell you what was specifically wrong with the half-shaft? It would be useful to add to our library of fixes!

Thanks.

biffom

GT Owner
Oct 9, 2005
Venice, CA
Neil,

The half shaft has now "gone back to Ford for further analysis".

I'm not sure if I'll ever get to find out what was wrong with it.

On the plus side it's just amazing how nice it is without that intermittent but hideously annoying little clicking/creaking sound.

Carl.

Fubar

Totally ****** Up
Mark II Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Aug 2, 2006
Dallas, TX
I have a metallic irregular clicking sound at very slow speed......I'm unable to hear the noise with the windows closed.

Did you have all of your tires changed? It might be something metal in the the tire (ie: a screw or even a rock).

H

HHGT

Neil,

The half shaft has now "gone back to Ford for further analysis".

I'm not sure if I'll ever get to find out what was wrong with it.

On the plus side it's just amazing how nice it is without that intermittent but hideously annoying little clicking/creaking sound.

Carl.

This is something that I found out earlier this year. On the 2006 models, the serpentine belt apparently has a ford/part number stamp that is slightly embossed. When cold, the stamp makes a ticking noise on every revolution. After the engine heats up, the noise goes away. If you want to test this theory, and your GT makes this ticking noise, either pour some cold water on the belt and the noise goes away, or rub a bar of soap on the paint directly on the belt.