Story from Indy trip...

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
The folks that caravaned up with me knew about this, and I may have told a few people at the gathering, but I thought I'd post it here for the rest of you, kind of interesting anyway.

So I had borrowed a diesel pick up and 28' enclosed trailer from Peak Completions to haul my GT up to Indy for the GT gathering and the 500 race. The pickup had his company logo on the side, and I went to Dallas the first night to eat with a Biz partner and meet some other GT guys the next morning to caravan up to St. Louis for the next break. My 19yo daughter was with me.

Going through Norman Oklahoma the speed changed from 70 to 65mph. I was with 4 Ford GT's and we were all going about 70 in heavy traffic. We passed a hypo on the side of the road but nobody's V1 went off including mine and he never moved. A few miles later I see a OHP with lights on bobbing in and out behind the trailer, so I pulled over.

Up walks this huuuge officer, with muscles everywhere about to burst out of his clothes. He was the most roided up monster I've ever seen in uniform. He's got his hand on his gun and along with him is his exact opposite, and old fat cop who was also about to burst out of his uniform, only in different places for different reasons. The exchange went like this, alternating back and forth between the roid cop and the doughnut cop:

RC: May I see your license, registration and insurance please sir?
Me: Sure
RC: (looks everything over and hands it to DC) Did you know the speed limit dropped to 65 when you got into town?
Me: Uh, no I guess I didn't notice that.
DC: Well we had you clocked at 71, your radar detector didn't help you much huh?
Me: It never went off.
RC: That's because we were pacing you. You might want to lose that as I think they're illegal is some of the states you are about to go through.
Me: I'm sure sorry, this isn't my truck and maybe the speedometer is messed up.
RC: Oh yeah? Who's truck is it? Is it your company's truck?
Me: No sir, it belongs to a friend of mine's company?
DC: What does Peak Completions do?
Me: It's an oil and gas equipment and service company.
DC: Whats in the trailer?
Me: Did you see those 4 Ford GT's go by?
Them: Yes!
Me: Well I've got one of those back there.
RC: Oh yeah? Where are you taking them.
Me: We're going up to Indianapolis for the race this weekend.
DC: Do you have your company's logo on the side of your GT?
Me: No.
RC: Are you going to entertain customers while you're up there?
DC: Are you going to write of the fuel for this trip?
Me: No, but I wish I could figure out how.
RC: So this is not your truck?
Me: No
RC: Are you being paid to drive that trailer up to Indianapolis?
(By now my daughter and I are thinking WTF?)
DC: So you're just going up there as some sort of hobby thing, hauling your car with a friend's truck and trailer?
Me: Yes, that's it.
DC to RC: Well, I guess then he isn't a CMV. (Commercial Motor Vehicle)
Roid Cop: I guess not.
RC to me: Slow it down, you just saved yourself a $280 ticket.
Me: Shocked and relieved.

So apparently if I had answered differently to any of those questions, they would have nailed me for not stopping at the weigh station when I entered OK and paying the fees and taxes due for a commercial vehicle. No one else got a ticket although there were some pretty spirited runs by those driving their cars. That's another story. I was glad I trailered mine but don't know if I'd do it again. Don't think I'd drive it either, just let someone else haul it if I'm going that far.

todd

GT Owner
Feb 3, 2006
so. ca.
It is always how you explain the story:thumbsup

Attachments

• 771ere2.jpg
    771ere2.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 241

Spirit

Heritage GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Bigs Is Innocent

Bigs is innocent, honest; I am “an unbiased expert witness” in these matters. :wink

Same goes for Silverbullitt's episode with traffic officers in the middle of Indianapolis. :frown

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Now, Bigs, you KNOW they only pulled you over out of an interest in "public safety". Collecting $$$$$$$$ had NUTHUN to do with ~~~~~~~:frown

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
more on oklahoma

recently, I went to get my drivers license repaired. The plastic has been peeling and I figured I'd get it fixed before I got into an issue with homeland security or other law enforcement. In the middle of getting it done the agent tells me that she can't because I have a "hold" on my license. Now, WTF? is running through my mind then she says "Oklahoma has you in a hold status" thinking it was something to do with my ex-wife.

So I get a number and call down to Oklahoma DPS. Well long story short... back in 1985 I got a speeding ticket that some how after 22 years they decided they never got paid on. Even thought I have a 20 plus year history of a clear driving report. I have to pay 195.00 for the ticket, fine, court cost and an additional 75.00 for a reinstatement letter. I talked to my attorney and he said "pay it", we can't prove that you did pay it in the past and they say you didn't. WTF?

Where is the statute of limitations? So if you ever had a ticket in oklahoma find your canceled checks. Since they are placing all counties records on computer and no matter where you live if some red neck in city hall lost your paid receipt your going to be suspended in your home state next time you go and renew. For me it was no that bad .... paid the fine and never had an issue but if my license had of lapsed or I had of waited until the last day I would have went suspended here and then it would have been on my driving record and raised my insurance. so watch out!

my two cents.

Steve

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Okay, here's my question: '22 YRS? WHY HASN'T THIS COME UP LOOOOOONG B4 NOW? You've renewed your license, what, 4 times or so now?
But, to answer you're question: I don't think there IS a stat. of lim. on a court judgment.

(But, there OUGHTA BE on a PAID one!!!!!!:lol )

Last edited:

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006
Okay, here's my question: '22 YRS? WHY HASN'T THIS COME UP LOOOOOONG B4 NOW? You've renewed your license, what, 4 times or so now?
But, to answer you're question: I don't think there IS a stat. of lim. on a court judgment.

Yeah I know I renewed the license more than a few times since I have lived in several states. Never popped up before and I am certain that I paid the fine at the time. But, I have no evidence of that ... I mean who keeps a canceled check from 22 years ago? :ack

I doubt if the judge is even alive still.... oh well money already paid and all is clean now. But BEWARE.

Empty Pockets

ex-GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Oct 18, 2006
Washington State
Yeah I know I renewed the license more than a few times since I have lived in several states. Never popped up before and I am certain that I paid the fine at the time. But, I have no evidence of that ... I mean who keeps a canceled check from 22 years ago? :ack

I doubt if the judge is even alive still.... oh well money already paid and all is clean now. But BEWARE.

'Wouldn't surprise me if they purposely waited this long FIGURING you wouldn't have saved any proof ...or 'counting on you LOOSING it by now.

Anyway - nuff said.

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
Steve, you need to ask the judge in OK for an "SP8." You'll pay the fine but nothing on the record.

Neilda

GT Owner
Oct 19, 2005
London, UK
"He was the most roided up monster I've ever seen in uniform." :lol

I often think, here in the UK, when given a third-degree grilling on the roadside by Police eager to find a problem... "have you nothing better to do with your time?".

Not GT related, but a couple of years ago I was pulled over by the Police by a Policeman (in uniform) apparently I had cut him up in traffic when he was off duty a couple of weeks previously!

BigsGT

Tungsten GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Mar 8, 2006
Austin Texas
Steve et al, Thanks for the hijack! :mad :lol

Others, thanks for your responses... :thumbsup

S592R

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Dec 3, 2006