stock muffler reconfigured

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Hi Kids
I along with many others have blownup 2 stock mufflers. the first one burned the back of the car, the last one just pissed me off. This made me take it out to find out why this happens. After removing the heat sheild I had a softball size hole blown in the muffler. I found a shop that was inerested in the job of gutting the inside and letting the stock can flow. After he opened up the old one it was no wonder they blow. The baffles in insde have 2 holes about 2 inches on both ends inside the inlets and 1 inthe middle with a singal hole. All that restricion what could you exspect, the exshut blows stright upto the top of the can and makes a hot spot & boom. I am running long tube headders coated inside and out to the stock can. Thanks to the guys at Jeff-ex in Montrose, MN with some cutting and some mods I have a stock look, better sound, and flow and no more boom I hope. Keep you posted after the next track day.

go fast, enjoy the straights, love the corner's

GT35065

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Heard of problems with Borla but not stock muffler. I don't care for the look, size, or sound of the stock muffler which is why I went Heffner cat back. Also, stock size is like having a large brick oven under the clam shell after driving. With your headers though, Heffner would probably be way to loud without cats. Sounds cool what you had done, is it louder?

H

HHGT

Hi Kids
I along with many others have blownup 2 stock mufflers. the first one burned the back of the car, the last one just pissed me off. This made me take it out to find out why this happens. After removing the heat sheild I had a softball size hole blown in the muffler. I found a shop that was inerested in the job of gutting the inside and letting the stock can flow. After he opened up the old one it was no wonder they blow. The baffles in insde have 2 holes about 2 inches on both ends inside the inlets and 1 inthe middle with a singal hole. All that restricion what could you exspect, the exshut blows stright upto the top of the can and makes a hot spot & boom. I am running long tube headders coated inside and out to the stock can. Thanks to the guys at Jeff-ex in Montrose, MN with some cutting and some mods I have a stock look, better sound, and flow and no more boom I hope. Keep you posted after the next track day.

go fast, enjoy the straights, love the corner's

Thanks for the post. I bought an extra muffler from a forum member with the intent of doing the same. I wanted to keep the original look for one my GTs and this is the perfect solution - Kendal and I spoke about this on many occasions. If you could post some pics of the welds after re-assembly. it would be appreciated.

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
I am interested in this as well. Any drone?

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
sorry for the dirt I have 1 1/2 miles of dirt road. Jeff also cut a mandrel bent 90 in half and used that as a deflector for the incoming. Some of the welds are large for the fact I cut off the heat shield.

Attachments

• muffler3.jpg
    muffler3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 404
  • muffler.jpg
    muffler.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 404

ObeyMyFast!

GT Owner's son
May 5, 2009
San Diego
How is the sound compared to stock?

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
The best I can say not so much tin sound any more. A bit louder but not (harley) lould unless you stand on it. I was at a cars & coffe with one with a stock muffler and headers you could tell mine was opened up but only about a note louder and deeper.

RaceDeck

*Supporting Vendor & GT Owner*
Supporting Vendor
Aug 11, 2005
SLC Utah
I just went with an X-Pipe and no muffler....sounds great and not to loud in the car. To eliminate the drone noise that is sometimes an issue, I wrapped the pipes in black heat wrap...all is good

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
stock muffler

You can't make a diamond out of a turd!

The stock muffler is ugly & heavy. Toss it.

Ed

Triheart7

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 3, 2007
Northern California
You can't make a diamond out of a turd!

The stock muffler is ugly & heavy. Toss it.

Ed

I would not call it a Turd, because it looks good hanging in my garage!:thumbsup

fjpikul

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Jan 4, 2006
Belleville, IL
I think it would look better hanging around Special Ed's neck.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I just went with an X-Pipe and no muffler....sounds great and not to loud in the car. To eliminate the drone noise that is sometimes an issue, I wrapped the pipes in black heat wrap...all is good

Am I reading you correctly? The Wrap eliminated the drone?

BlackICE

GT Owner
Nov 2, 2005
SF Bay Area in California
All cat back systems that only have pipes H or X will drone to some extent between 2050 and 2200 RPM with greater than 1/3 throttle, more so if you drive with the windows up.

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
drone

Shadowman's custom cat back high-exit exhaust system does not utilize any cross over (H or X). No drone, unbelievable power & awesome sound!

Ed

PS My stock muffler is being used as a planter in my back yard! It's what it was made for (ah, next to using it as a boat anchor!).

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Shadowman's custom cat back high-exit exhaust system does not utilize any cross over (H or X). No drone, unbelievable power & awesome sound!

Ed

For those lucky individuals that got one. :bored :biggrin

Ed Sims

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Apr 7, 2006
NorCal
DA Exhaust System

Hey - Shadowman has the exhaust system available for all. Just give him a PM!

Ed

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I must have misunderstood. :confused

Darn.

I will have to make do with my FRPP GTX system. Maybe Bill can sweep them up and out like yours? :biggrin

:usa

sandman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Jul 10, 2006
Gardnerville, Nv.
I must have misunderstood. :confused

Darn.

I will have to make do with my FRPP GTX system. Maybe Bill can sweep them up and out like yours? :biggrin

:usa

The system Ed has is based on a much massaged by Bill, Stainless Works long tube header.

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
The system Ed has is based on a much massaged by Bill, Stainless Works long tube header.

Oh, I thought he was referring to the shorty and flowmaster muffler system.

GT Owner
Sep 30, 2006
Waconia MN
Well you guys that still have the cat's on your car's it may sound good. some of us have removed the restricions and have full flow (and power) can still drive on the road.