stock clutch versus aftermarket...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Can Spec clutches still be special ordered? Or are they done forever?

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Can Spec clutches still be special ordered? Or are they done forever?
They're still listed on their website... SPEC Clutches for GT

Reactions: Fast Freddy

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
It used to be when the trans warmed after driving that i could get into first gear without it sticking, but not anymore as it sticks even when warmed up now. So i found a new stock clutch on ebay and ordered it on wednesday. I got a tracking number. I always thought towing in gear bent a shift fork. But according to the GT guys who installed my B&M shifter Rich Brooks says i have a stretched cable. Ordering cables next. If this does not solve the problem then either i get my tansaxle fixed or i will be buying a new transaxle. As far as my clutch wearing out the burnt clutch smell is a result of too many drag launches. It still works but the days are numbered.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Just ordered new shifter cables from my preferred ford dealership and the ford GT tech will be installing them at the end of this month. Gonna flush the clutch fluid too and wait to put the new clutch in i just bought until a later time as i think i can get another 5,000 to 10,000 miles out of the original clutch as long as i do no more drag launches. If this does not solve the problem then i have an issue with the transaxle...

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Just ordered new shifter cables from my preferred ford dealership and the ford GT tech will be installing them at the end of this month. Gonna flush the clutch fluid too and wait to put the new clutch in i just bought until a later time as i think i can get another 5,000 to 10,000 miles out of the original clutch as long as i do no more drag launches. If this does not solve the problem then i have an issue with the transaxle...
Did the clutch come with the pressure plate? If not, why wouldn’t you change that part also?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime

Do you have the part # for the cables?

How about the clutch assembly?

Thanks

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
The only way you can buy a stock clutch is with the pressure plate. They come together and are sold as one unit from Ford. Torrie McPhail from Unleashed Tuning on this site has 2 used ones for sale that have less than 1,000 miles on them. He even has pix...

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
2112 - call your dealer for part #'s. I had to supply my vin # and mileage for them to order any parts...

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
I am asking for the part #’s

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Here is the part number….

Attachments

• IMG_1418.jpeg
    IMG_1418.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 25

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Thanks Art, do you have the cable Part # too?

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
I have heard good things about the RPS Carbon clutches. That is what I’m about to put in my car. Suppose to drive like stock and hold the power easily when car is modded.

Reactions: TORQJNKY

GT@50

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Dec 14, 2019
Issaquah
Bleed the clutch before you do anything else. If clutch isn't releasing fully, it'll be harder to shift, more so with a new clutch. There isn't much fluid in that system and half of it is mounted in the bell housing surrounded by exhaust. It gets cooked. When trans is in gear the cables and forks do nothing. They're just sitting there relaxed until you shift. I've seen excessive fork wear in various trannys (can I say that?) from resting your hand on the shifter causing a constant load on the fork and fork wear. This leads to not fully engaging gears and popping out of gear, not hard shift.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Bleed the clutch before you do anything else. If clutch isn't releasing fully, it'll be harder to shift, more so with a new clutch. There isn't much fluid in that system and half of it is mounted in the bell housing surrounded by exhaust. It gets cooked. When trans is in gear the cables and forks do nothing. They're just sitting there relaxed until you shift. I've seen excessive fork wear in various trannys (can I say that?) from resting your hand on the shifter causing a constant load on the fork and fork wear. This leads to not fully engaging gears and popping out of gear, not hard shift.

I am the original owner of the car. the clutch fluid has been replaced twice. Arizona heat, racing in three states and Borla headers... i bet my shifter cables have melted. New clutch fluid will be put in too 🏁

Reactions: GT@50

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
I have heard good things about the RPS Carbon clutches. That is what I’m about to put in my car.
Do they have an application for the GT? (Not listed on their website.)

Art138

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jan 4, 2011
Weston,FL
Thanks Art, do you have the cable Part # too?
Are these the cables you are looking for?

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    774 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: 2112

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
Do they have an application for the GT? (Not listed on their website.)
Yes they do. Nth Moto is doing mine. It’s pretty much custom made to order though. Here is a pic.

https://flic.kr/p/2p1UQJ5

Reactions: 2112

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
RE: cables....a Loong time ago I had shifting issues. Ended up that the jacketing had melted inside the V of the motor. we ordered a nw cable set. I got a call from Ford from the man that put the cables together. He said never try and adjust them. I make sure they are perfect before we ship them. Never had an issue since then.

How many hours did it take to replace the shifter cables?

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
Are these the cables you are looking for?

Thank you Art, will use those and ask for confirmation

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Yes they do. Nth Moto is doing mine. It’s pretty much custom made to order though. Here is a pic.
Nice! Price?