stock clutch versus aftermarket...

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
How many hours did it take to replace the shifter cables?
3 days, first day take things apart, remove s/c etc. day 2 order parts..day three , cables arrive, design and build stand off ( to keep cables from direct contact) obtain heat shield material, from HD truck left over material, wrap new cables with heat shield and cover heat shield on the cables with flue tape for the full length of run through valley of motor. Re-install everything and test drive. And about 15 years late no further issues with shifting or cables.

BIGFOOT

GT Owner
Jan 18, 2012
Northeast
Given the opportunity, would one go for the OEM or the Stillen?

Bbhaynes

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Sep 8, 2021
Madison, MS
Nice! Price?
It’s about $4,500

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
Given the opportunity, would one go for the OEM or the Stillen?
We've installed 25 or so clutches in GT's over the years... including the Stillen. As I said previously, Stillen is the ONLY one I would not recommend. OEM is the best, IMO as long as RWHP <800.

MTV8

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
Jul 24, 2010
Houston Texas
I have heard good things about the RPS Carbon clutches. That is what I’m about to put in my car. Suppose to drive like stock and hold the power easily when car is modded.
I ran a Tilton carbon clutch capable of holding 2000 HP on another car. While it had very light peddle pressure, engagement was like an on off switch. Would not recommend for street use.

Reactions: Fast Freddy

thegtguy

*Supporting Vendor* GT Owner
Apr 20, 2006
MI
It used to be when the trans warmed after driving that i could get into first gear without it sticking, but not anymore as it sticks even when warmed up now. So i found a new stock clutch on ebay and ordered it on wednesday. I got a tracking number. I always thought towing in gear bent a shift fork. But according to the GT guys who installed my B&M shifter Rich Brooks says i have a stretched cable. Ordering cables next. If this does not solve the problem then either i get my tansaxle fixed or i will be buying a new transaxle. As far as my clutch wearing out the burnt clutch smell is a result of too many drag launches. It still works but the days are numbered.
Hi Freddy,

When did "Rich Brooks" (ME) tell you this? Wasn't me by my recollection. From what I have read in this post there are many incorrect statements that I do not want to be associated with.

There is a very, very small chance that a stretched cable with cause this issue. From having replaced many cables (due to heat, vibration, and accident issues) none have been from a stretched cable.

From replacing MANY clutches, I have a few opinions.

Stock, best all around.

Stillen had 2 options, a street and race version. We have done many, many of the street versions with no issues at all. We even did that batch buy a few years ago. FYI Stillen had AP Racing make the street version and (surprise, surprise) AP Racing made the OE clutch too. With the street version the pedal efforts went up very slightly and the only real difference is felt is the release point is slightly lower on the pedal than stock. I have over 30,000 miles in my personal car with this and have had zero issues. My first choice for a replacement. This is why we organized the batch buy a few years ago.

If memory serves me correctly the Stillen race option had the spacer on the slave cylinder and has very high efforts, chatters, and very on and off too, but that is what you get with a race clutch. These came with a lighter flywheel and you should really re-tune for that as well. Don't really like these.

Spec had a few and we only did these for lack of options. They work and the race one behaves just like a race one should. High efforts and very on and off type of function and chatters.

Spec street one is ok but is still higher efforts, and chattery but still drivable. My third choice

This is just my personal and experienced opinion.

Fred, please call the correct Rich Brooks and we can discuss in more detail your issue. 734-658-9498

Disclaimer: These are my opinions through experience.

Reactions: ByeEnzo and 2112

Blue/white 06'
Mark II Lifetime
So, with the OEM and Stillen street version becoming hard to find, should another group buy be started?

Would they (AP Brakes) even entertain the issue?

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
So, with the OEM and Stillen street version becoming hard to find, should another group buy be started?

Would they (AP Brakes) even entertain the issue?
Yes, very hard to find.

(AP Racing), possibly I can and will try.

nota4re

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Feb 15, 2006
If memory serves me correctly the Stillen race option had the spacer on the slave cylinder and has very high efforts, chatters, and very on and off too, but that is what you get with a race clutch. These came with a lighter flywheel and you should really re-tune for that as well. Don't really like these.
Thanks for clarifying , Rich. It must have been this "race option" that we installed many years ago - and didn't like. Good to hear that the street version has been a good go-to product. Now, if it can only be sourced again.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Hi Freddy,

When did "Rich Brooks" (ME) tell you this? Wasn't me by my recollection. From what I have read in this post there are many incorrect statements that I do not want to be associated with.

There is a very, very small chance that a stretched cable with cause this issue. From having replaced many cables (due to heat, vibration, and accident issues) none have been from a stretched cable.

From replacing MANY clutches, I have a few opinions.

Stock, best all around.

Stillen had 2 options, a street and race version. We have done many, many of the street versions with no issues at all. We even did that batch buy a few years ago. FYI Stillen had AP Racing make the street version and (surprise, surprise) AP Racing made the OE clutch too. With the street version the pedal efforts went up very slightly and the only real difference is felt is the release point is slightly lower on the pedal than stock. I have over 30,000 miles in my personal car with this and have had zero issues. My first choice for a replacement. This is why we organized the batch buy a few years ago.

Spec had a few and we only did these for lack of options. They work and the race one behaves just like a race one should. High efforts and very on and off type of function and chatters.

Spec street one is ok but is still higher efforts, and chattery but still drivable. My third choice

This is just my personal and experienced opinion.

Fred, please call the correct Rich Brooks and we can discuss in more detail your issue. 734-658-9498

Disclaimer: These are my opinions through experience.

20230911_141610.jpg

Attachments

• 20230911_141610.jpg
    20230911_141610.jpg
    960.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

thegtguy

Apr 20, 2006
MI
Yes, I remember that part and I even looked it up in my records to be sure. Pretty sure we did that in Chip's or Larry's driveway.

I was talking about the cable stretching part. If I misread the original statement my bad. Either way you can call to discuss the issue. If you want.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
Yes, I remember that part and I even looked it up in my records to be sure. Pretty sure we did that in Chip's or Larry's driveway.

I was talking about the cable stretching part. If I misread the original statement my bad. Either way you can call to discuss the issue. If you want.

Yes Rich. The shifter was installed in Chip's garage. When i raced at the Bonneville 100 open road race in 2010 it was with your modifications. I couldn't have done it without you or Chip's help. If either one of you guys would ever like to ride shotgun in my GT as a navigator for an open road race such as the Big Bend open road race or the Silver State Classic Challenge let me know. Both races at 120 miles in distance are longer than the 101 miles that was the Bonneville 100. I drove the Bonneville 100 solo. I also averaged 150 miles per hour twice in my 2001 Viper ACR with a navigator at the Silver State Classic 90 mile open road race. My GT now has mods from Kendall Pond such as a 4.0 litre Whipple with Borla headers, Torrie tune, etc. I am ready to reset my record...🏁

Last edited:

texas mongrel

GT Owner
Mark II Lifetime
May 3, 2009
Houston Texas
Follow a GT with aftermarket clutch in stop and go traffic and you can enjoy watching the car bucking and shuddering each time it sets off! FWIW, I have stock clutch, 682rwhp, many miles, no issues

Reactions: TACHY

PL510*Jeff

Mark IV Lifetime
Le Mans 2010 Supporter
Nov 3, 2005
Renton, Washington
Follow a GT with aftermarket clutch in stop and go traffic and you can enjoy watching the car bucking and shuddering each time it sets off! FWIW, I have stock clutch, 682rwhp, many miles, no issues
For the sake of being contrary...when you see that... 99% of the time it's operator caused. I have been asked, quite a few times, if the GT is "Manu-matic" because I never feel you shift. Being smooth is good.

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225 MPH
Mark II Lifetime
Aug 5, 2005
Avondale, Arizona
UPDATE: so i just got my car back from Jim Click Ford in Tucson. William the Ford GT tech there did an outstanding job of replacing my stretched shifter cables. I no longer have any issues with the shifter sticking when trying to get into first now. It even goes into reverse now like it should. I have never driven another Ford GT other than mine so I had nothing to compare it to other than the fact I had a B&M ripper short throw shifter in my viper and my ZO6 and loved them. Whenever I have any problems with my GT I now get them fixed right away. I drove my car 20,500 miles over the last 17 years with this problem. I am very fortunate that I did not damage my transaxle. Since I always tow with my emergency brake on it appears that my cables were stretched from the day I bought the car when it only had 2 miles on the odometer. I should have got it warrantied but it worked for racing and so i just never got it fixed until now. My worn out clutch had made the problem worse. So now I am gonna put my new clutch in next because they said my clutch engagement is high and so there is not much life left in it. Thanks to everybody here who encouraged me to get this problem sorted out asap.

roketman

GT Owner
Mark IV Lifetime
Oct 24, 2005
ma.
I feel lucky to have gotten in on the group buy for the Stillen!
Rich is kindly holding mine in inventory!
Thanks Rich as always!

Reactions: JWZ